Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog was recently diagnosed with a heart murmur. The Vet seems to think, based on his condition, that we could be looking at possibly 8 or 9 months of life. He is on medication which seems to help. But he does cough at times during the day. He will start a coughing spell early in the mornings after he has been asleep most of the night. I get him up, he goes to the bathroom and usually I have found that after he has walked around for a little bit, the coughing seems to subside sometimes. I usually wind up staying up with him, since I get up early anyway, and I feed him and give him his meds. I do notice that when he gets excited he will increase in coughing until he settles down.
I've started using CBD oil for pets, also he gets Fish Oil with his meals. I was wondering if anyone has found something that worked for their pet, who may have or going through the same issue, which may have helped a little to subdue the coughing.
I know what the final outcome is going to be, just trying to find other methods which might help with the coughing.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
706 Posts
Sorry, I have no great advice but I didn't want to read and run. I have no idea if it would help but when my dog had kennel cough, honey soothed his throat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Localnole,

My dog was just diagnosed with CHF also. My regular vet put her on a cough suppressant that has helped with her coughing. I noticed she will cough once or twice first thing in the morning, and is better throughout the day. She is on vetmedin and lasix also. We will be seeing a cardiologist this Saturday. The meds seem to be working well for her, but she occasionally gets tired and sometimes will just sit up and stare out. It's hard to tell if she is nauseous or dizzy from the meds. The cardiologist is going to go over our prescriptions and see if there needs to be any adjustment. I also started making her dog food to get some bettter nutrients in her because she urinates a lot now from the lasix and may be low in potassium. I am going to ask the cardiologist about supplements and will let you know what she recommends if you are interested.

It's hard to watch them struggle. Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Localnole,

My dog was just diagnosed with CHF also. My regular vet put her on a cough suppressant that has helped with her coughing. I noticed she will cough once or twice first thing in the morning, and is better throughout the day. She is on vetmedin and lasix also. We will be seeing a cardiologist this Saturday. The meds seem to be working well for her, but she occasionally gets tired and sometimes will just sit up and stare out. It's hard to tell if she is nauseous or dizzy from the meds. The cardiologist is going to go over our prescriptions and see if there needs to be any adjustment. I also started making her dog food to get some bettter nutrients in her because she urinates a lot now from the lasix and may be low in potassium. I am going to ask the cardiologist about supplements and will let you know what she recommends if you are interested.

It's hard to watch them struggle. Best of luck to you!

Thank you so much for the feed back. I'll ask my vet about cough suppressants. Mine gets me up in the early morning coughing. Sleeps pretty good at night, but morning seems bad until he gets up and starts moving around. Then he gets his meds, eats. When he gets excited he will cough during the day. I've started CBD oil twice a day and will continue to monitor. Vet said she didn't see where it would hurt to use it. What type of cough suppressant did they prescribe to yours?

·
Registered
5 Posts
The medication is called Tussigon. It is a hydrocodone. Like any other meds it has some risks of side effects, but it keeps her coughing to a minimum and she seems to be comfortable at the moment. She also coughs when she gets excited - usually when my boyfriend or I come home from work. I am concerned when she gets lethargic though because it is not clear what medication could be causing it. I will ask the cardiologist about CBD oil and the other supplements I bought. I recently purchased co-enzyme q10 for her heart as a supplement and dandelion leaf, which is a natural diuretic that has some potassium in it. It was recommended by a vet who has a youtube series. Similar to the CBD oil, I am thinking it can't hurt.

My dog's appetite has been really good, which is a great sign. Is yours eating okay?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts