1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
i'm looking for a quick and easy treat recipe. i make most of my dogs treats, its cheaper and after reading ingredient labels, healthier! but i was looking for a cookie recipe or something that would keep a bit better when we go places. i've been looking online a bit, but a lot of what i am finding has salt and/or sugar added and i don't really want to give him those things.
thanks
I would like to get a homemade treat recipe for my dogs if they are cheaper than the treats we get ours now.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gosh, i really like to cook/bake, my only really domestic trait...anyway, so far, i have been dehydrating chicken breasts and thighs, just did livers, clover LOVES them. i also grill chicken on my george foreman grill and chop it up, these work great for training and i spend atleast half as much on this as i would buying the same things, and no extra salt, sugar or crazy perservatives! i also like to have dry cookies for him and i just ran out of the store bought "cookies" so now i am looking for a good recipe. most of the ingredients asked for are cheap, oatmeal, peanut butter, etc...so it should be inexpensive i just want something that is easy to actually make. i'll let you know when i come across a good one :)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
10 Posts
heres a list i found that might help :)

Healthy Dog Treat Ingredients

So…Here is a list of all natural ingredients that are good for your dog. I’ve put them in alphabetical order so that you can find them easily.

Homemade Dog Treat Recipe: Healthy Dog Snacks

this one looks good too
Darlene's Favorite Dog "Cookie"

Contributed by Darlene Stever, Moksgm'ol Newfs

My favorite dog "cookie" (low-fat, low-calorie, about 20 calories per 4" cookie).

• 2 cups rye flour
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2/3 cup warm water
  • 1/2 cup white flour
  • 1/4 cup cornmeal
Mix well. I usually add about 1/4 tsp either vanilla or mint flavor.
Roll out to 1/4" thick. Cut into shapes (I usually use about a 3-4" bone-shape cutter). Bake on lightly greased cookie sheet for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

some foods to definately AVOID when baking home made dog treats:
raw fish
raw egg whites
garlic
onions
grapes
raisins
macadamia nuts
mushrooms
nutmeg
walnuts
anything containing xylitol (usually only chewing gum)
and of course the big one CHOCOLATE

i know there are some recipes out there that you and your dog can both eat! so keep your eyes peeled for them too :)

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:p
heres a list i found that might help :)

Healthy Dog Treat Ingredients

So…Here is a list of all natural ingredients that are good for your dog. I’ve put them in alphabetical order so that you can find them easily.
Homemade Dog Treat Recipe: Healthy Dog Snacks

this one looks good too
Darlene's Favorite Dog "Cookie"

Contributed by Darlene Stever, Moksgm'ol Newfs

My favorite dog "cookie" (low-fat, low-calorie, about 20 calories per 4" cookie).

• 2 cups rye flour
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2/3 cup warm water
  • 1/2 cup white flour
  • 1/4 cup cornmeal
Mix well. I usually add about 1/4 tsp either vanilla or mint flavor.
Roll out to 1/4" thick. Cut into shapes (I usually use about a 3-4" bone-shape cutter). Bake on lightly greased cookie sheet for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

some foods to definately AVOID when baking home made dog treats:
raw fish
raw egg whites
garlic
onions
grapes
raisins
macadamia nuts
mushrooms
nutmeg
walnuts
anything containing xylitol (usually only chewing gum)
and of course the big one CHOCOLATE

i know there are some recipes out there that you and your dog can both eat! so keep your eyes peeled for them too :)
thanks a bunch,
i have sort of gotten off track with the baked treats and have been buying them (lazy lazy!:)) i do have a food dehydrater and i dehydrate chicken and chicken livers in it. they are awesome for training, really high value treats that aren't gooey! and they are really cheap, way cheaper than buying the same thing.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
I'll share! This is DEFINITELY easy because I'm NO martha stewart LOL

I put a can of salmon, chopped baby carrots and water into a blender until it's all liquid. Then in a bowl I folded in ripped up multi grain bread (THAT's how non-martha I am-I don't have flour!!LOL) and baked until done. (If your dog doesn't do well on grains you could substitue potatoes).

It's super easy and a variant on how I make my bunny cookies :)

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Making your own all natural dog treat is an excellent alternative to rawhide.
SWEET POTATO CHEWY
Ingredients:
• 1 Large Sweet Potato, washed & dried

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 250° F
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Cut off one side of the sweet potato lengthwise, as close to the edge as possible. Cutting the side of the potato first allows you to then turn the potato onto this flat surface that you have just created. Having a stable area to rest the potato will make it easier to cut the potato into slices. Don't discard that first piece, it comes out just as yummy as the rest!
4. Cut the rest of the potato into 1/3" slices, no smaller than 1/4".
5. Place them on the prepared baking sheet.
6. Bake for 3 hours, turning half way through.
7. Cool completely on a wire rack.

Storing - Although these treats are dried, you will want to keep them in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. You can freeze them for up to 4 months.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Making your own all natural dog treat is an excellent alternative to rawhide.
SWEET POTATO CHEWY
Ingredients:
• 1 Large Sweet Potato, washed & dried

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 250° F
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Cut off one side of the sweet potato lengthwise, as close to the edge as possible. Cutting the side of the potato first allows you to then turn the potato onto this flat surface that you have just created. Having a stable area to rest the potato will make it easier to cut the potato into slices. Don't discard that first piece, it comes out just as yummy as the rest!
4. Cut the rest of the potato into 1/3" slices, no smaller than 1/4".
5. Place them on the prepared baking sheet.
6. Bake for 3 hours, turning half way through.
7. Cool completely on a wire rack.

Storing - Although these treats are dried, you will want to keep them in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. You can freeze them for up to 4 months.
Are they good for big dogs or will my Gret Pyrenees/Lab just swollow 'em whole? LOL She's a big one and what takes a yorkie 10 minutes will take her 1 LITERALLY!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Theese trets sound great! My friend and I are having a bake sale for the animal shelter and we are going to sell dog treats along witht he human treats. So my dog gets to be the taste tester to see if something is worth selling. Boy! Is she gonna have fun!

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Depends on the dog, change the temp of the oven to 275 it will make them a little chewier. My 30 lb dog swallows them almost whole my 60 lb dog takes them in the yard and chews very slowly. They are so healthy for them I don't worry about it, they both enjoy them. I also make 3 potatoes at a time they will fit on 2 trays in the oven.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts