Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lot of trouble finding good recipes for healthy homemade dog food. I saw the veggie delight recipe, but I'm looking for something with meat in it. I have a nearly two year old terrier mix named Riley. He right now eats Castor & Pullox Organix Lamb, but I really want to do a homemade diet. If it's not too complicated, because I don't have hours and hours to cook for him. If anyone here feeds their dogs raw/homemade dog food, please do tell me your recipes here!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Have you read thru some of the recipes already posted? I really recommend talking to a nutritionist and doing tons of research
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where are those recipes? I've only seen one...

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Oh I thought there were more. There have been lots of discussions on raw or home cooked diets but I don't think any had actual lay outs of what to do. Hopefully those who cook for their dogs will steer you in the right direction
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I have a lot of trouble finding good recipes for healthy homemade dog food. I saw the veggie delight recipe, but I'm looking for something with meat in it. I have a nearly two year old terrier mix named Riley. He right now eats Castor & Pullox Organix Lamb, but I really want to do a homemade diet. If it's not too complicated, because I don't have hours and hours to cook for him. If anyone here feeds their dogs raw/homemade dog food, please do tell me your recipes here!
Dr Pitcairn's has a book called Natural Health for dogs and cats that I think every dog owner should have. It has lots of recipes to choose from and also a lot of information about how to keep your dog healthy naturally. There is a nutritional chart so you know how much of everything is in the food so you can choose different diets that suit your dogs needs as far as protein levels and calories ect.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We make our own dog food stew with;
Meat (usually game ie; Deer or Bear that has been roasted and cut up) or less expensive cuts of beef or pork and several packages of liver that has been cooked (Total about 5-7 lbs of cooked meat)
Fat (Bear is very fatty so we render the fat and add it to the stew)
Carrots, Potatoes that are washed but not peeled and either cubed or grated and a few cans of low sodium green peas (10-12 good sized carrots and 10-12 good sized potatoes and two cans of peas)
Barley (about two cups)
Brown rice (about two cups)
Soy protein powder (about 1 cup)
Oats (about two cups)

So we prepare the meat and add it to a huge stock pot. We fry up the liver with the tiniest bit of oil so it doesnt stick and add it to the pot. Then we cook the potatoes and carrots a bit in the pan and add it too the pot. We add several litres of water and let it all come to a boil. We add about two cups of raw brown rice, two cups of pearl barley, two cups of oats and one cup of soy protein powder. We cook it until all the water is absorbed and you are left with a nice thick stew. We cool it quickly and divide into batches with two days worth of feedings in each batch. We feed this stew for two days and then one day of canned prepared good quality dog food to mix things up a bit. We try to render the fat from the meat and store it in the fridge and add a good sized tablespoon to each bowl before serving.
Keep in mind our dogs are large rottweilers and have high energy levels so adjust the quantities for your own feeding guidelines!
Soy protein powder is available at any bulk food store and is flavourless. We actually just started adding it to the recipe two months ago!
Enjoy! Let me know how your dpogs liked it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Intrigued....

We make our own dog food stew with;
Meat (usually game ie; Deer or Bear that has been roasted and cut up) or less expensive cuts of beef or pork and several packages of liver that has been cooked (Total about 5-7 lbs of cooked meat)
Fat (Bear is very fatty so we render the fat and add it to the stew)
Carrots, Potatoes that are washed but not peeled and either cubed or grated and a few cans of low sodium green peas (10-12 good sized carrots and 10-12 good sized potatoes and two cans of peas)
Barley (about two cups)
Brown rice (about two cups)
Soy protein powder (about 1 cup)
Oats (about two cups)

So we prepare the meat and add it to a huge stock pot. We fry up the liver with the tiniest bit of oil so it doesnt stick and add it to the pot. Then we cook the potatoes and carrots a bit in the pan and add it too the pot. We add several litres of water and let it all come to a boil. We add about two cups of raw brown rice, two cups of pearl barley, two cups of oats and one cup of soy protein powder. We cook it until all the water is absorbed and you are left with a nice thick stew. We cool it quickly and divide into batches with two days worth of feedings in each batch. We feed this stew for two days and then one day of canned prepared good quality dog food to mix things up a bit. We try to render the fat from the meat and store it in the fridge and add a good sized tablespoon to each bowl before serving.
Keep in mind our dogs are large rottweilers and have high energy levels so adjust the quantities for your own feeding guidelines!
Soy protein powder is available at any bulk food store and is flavourless. We actually just started adding it to the recipe two months ago!
Enjoy! Let me know how your dpogs liked it!

I was just wondering, how/where do you get/find bear meat? I live in oklahoma and I don't know of anywhere that serves bear. I can get beef, chicken, pork, bison, maybe goat, sheep, any of those good?

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
All of those are good. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
We live in Northern Ontario so game is readily available as my family is very much into hunting. Definately beef, pork, bison, goat and sheep are all good choices to feed your animals. Just be careful with the chicken that there are no small bones that are missed. And I do recommend thoroughly cooking the meat - esp with wild game as we dont want to upset our dogs' tummies with any parasites or anything like that!

·
Registered
5,929 Posts

Lots of great info here
DogAware.com: Homemade Diets for Dogs
Housepet Magazine - Dog food recipes

·
Registered
8 Posts
My father and brother are avid hunters so we often have game on hand. But yes any of those meats are perfecly suitable. I would only caution that you fully cook the pork and chicken and keep in mind the food safety rules you would follow for anything YOU eat. Cheers

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Tazma, what do you guys do about Calcium? I've read that feeding meat alone (without edible bones) will unbalance the Calcium phosphorus ratio, and that in the long run you can have problems with the dog's skeleton decalcifying.

·
Registered
8 Posts
we sometimes will mix ground eggshells in with thier food. Also, for mid morning snacks, the dogs get a few good tablespoons of plain yogurt. They love it and it helps their digestion. In large breeds, you actually have to be careful about too much calcium...if you are really concerned speak to your vet and you can always provide a general multivitamin that you can get at your local pet store. There are many organic and holistic kinds out there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts