Dog Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my collies is just about to turn 15. He has been switched to an all wet diet because he cannot eat hard food anymore (he won't eat soaked kibble). He loves wet food, so that's great. But he gets diarrhea from wet food, always has. The vet ran every test in the book and we didn't find anything that would explain the diarrhea. We put him on antibiotics and FortiFlora. He gave me Science Diet gastro wet food but we all know Science Diet is garbage. It hasn't been long enough to figure out if that food stops it or not.

Is there any alternative that is gentle on the stomach? His regular food was Go.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Do you think he'd eat something like The Honest Kitchen?

If not I'd probably try home cooking for him and just add in a vitamin supplement like Nupro or Balance It.

Reactions: bugz

·
Registered
793 Posts
Evermore might be a good option. My dog loves it, and lots of my clients dogs do really well on it, and it has a lower moisture content than a lot of canned foods.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Have you tried using any of the limited ingredient canned dog foods and mixing in a tablespoon or more of canned pumpkin for the diarreah?
If you go to the Chewy.com site you can look in the 'wet dog food sensitive digestion' category for ideas and also read the ingredients of the foods......

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Maybe think about a raw diet? There are a handful of good commercial raw diets that he might like. I find that it's very easy for most dogs to digest. You may want to start him on a bland chicken and rice diet and then start adding in the raw.

You could make your own raw diet too, but you'd obviously have to get a good meat grinder.

Home cooked is another option, but it's a lot harder to balance nutritionally. You can always speak to a canine nutritionist and figure out a good home cooked diet. Of course at this point at the age of 15, it's probably more important that he get something that works with his body moreso than something being perfectly balanced.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Maybe think about a raw diet? There are a handful of good commercial raw diets that he might like. I find that it's very easy for most dogs to digest. You may want to start him on a bland chicken and rice diet and then start adding in the raw.

You could make your own raw diet too, but you'd obviously have to get a good meat grinder.

Home cooked is another option, but it's a lot harder to balance nutritionally. You can always speak to a canine nutritionist and figure out a good home cooked diet. Of course at this point at the age of 15, it's probably more important that he get something that works with his body moreso than something being perfectly balanced.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
There is something named carrageenan in a lot of wet food. It causes stomach upset. Honest kitchen is one that does not have it. check your labels.
”The common food additive carrageenan predictably induces intestinal inflammation in animal models.” Of huge significance, this paper also states that Carrageenan (CGN) “has been used for decades, to induce inflammation” in laboratory animals to study the effectiveness of anti-inflammatory medications.
https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/carrageenan-just-dont-do-it/

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Really Honest Kitchen would be your best bet, or something similar like freeze dried raw - or even raw raw for that matter lol.

I've found there isn't a whole lot of wet food makers you can trust because there is only a handful of canneries in the states so even if the ingredients look ok, the manufacturer is unreliable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Try freeze-dried raw food or simply frozen raw food instead of canned wet food. It's much more expensive, but an excellent alternative.

Making homemade food can be quite a commitment if you intend to provide a balanced diet. Highly recommend picking up a book and following an established diet if you plan to go this route.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone know where the cheapest natural balance duck and potato for small dogs would be at in Medford or central point oregon

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
One of my collies is just about to turn 15. He has been switched to an all wet diet because he cannot eat hard food anymore (he won't eat soaked kibble). He loves wet food, so that's great. But he gets diarrhea from wet food, always has. The vet ran every test in the book and we didn't find anything that would explain the diarrhea. We put him on antibiotics and FortiFlora. He gave me Science Diet gastro wet food but we all know Science Diet is garbage. It hasn't been long enough to figure out if that food stops it or not.

Is there any alternative that is gentle on the stomach? His regular food was Go.
I know that food that has sweet potato on it is really good for digestion my puggle had the same kind of issue and sweet potato and duck was a good blend

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts