Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My dog, Sweet Pea, is a rescued Staffordshire terrier mix.. Not too sure on her age. She was in 2 shelters before we got her. First shelter said she was 1.5, second shelter said she was 4. Anyway, she either got spayed at the first shelter, or already was spayed before ending up in the shelter. We have had her for 4 months. Her scar has been completely healed for as long as we've had her, but for the past month or so, she has been itching the scar with her hind leg. I'm not sure if she's licking it, I've never seen her do so and I don't think she can even reach it with her tongue anyway. The scar and surrounding area is all red and Sweet Pea manages to give herself some type of crusty scab. It doesn't bleed but kind of oozes clear liquid. We have put neosporin on it and it has healed completely, but she starts itching it again a few days later. She lets us touch it with no problem, it doesn't seem to hurt her. The vet recommended giving her 1.5 benadryl twice a day to help with her hives/ear infections/general allergies before this ever happened. I know that the scar is itchy when it is healing, but this incision has been totally healed for AT LEAST 5 months (the first time we saw her at the shelter). The attached picture shows the redness as of today. It has been a lot worse in the past. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Any idea what it could be?

Sorry for the poor quality image, it didn't look so bad on my phone :p

·
Registered
677 Posts
Hia, first of all I wanted to say massive well.done to you for giving this girl the chance she needs..staffies are fab dogs and so many die because they are overlooked ..ok that out of the way �� the scar..vitamin E.cream can.help.scars but u need to.check there are no nasties in it..my holistic vet have me a fab.cream.called liquid gold. Its dead sea minerals and when.my old boy had surgery on his leg it wouldn't heal and we had trouble with the scar..this stuff was amazing. The other possibility I that a stitch has not resolved or been left behind and is finally working its way out .the other possibility is Tha its anxiety licking..she has been I rescurr along time..then a new home..although the changes have been good for her they are still changes..think I've just rambled and not helped at all.�� xx

Reactions: arbatt

·
Registered
677 Posts
Sorry ive just checked the cream..its called vet gold not liquid gold..its fab stuff. On the back it says its used to promote natural healing of dry damaged and irritated skin..we used it on a scar that wouldn't heal and it was amazing...raw manuka honey works on wounds too but it may just encourage her to lick it more if its not under a dressing..and its probably best left open to the air xx

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry ive just checked the cream..its called vet gold not liquid gold..its fab stuff. On the back it says its used to promote natural healing of dry damaged and irritated skin..we used it on a scar that wouldn't heal and it was amazing...raw manuka honey works on wounds too but it may just encourage her to lick it more if its not under a dressing..and its probably best left open to the air xx
Thanks for the suggestion! I will look for this cream. It is probably anxiety scratching/licking since she used to do it to her paws. This is probably her new spot. I just don't want her to hurt herself!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts