Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, so our 6month old American bulldog has had 3 episodes of head tremors in about 10 days. 2 mornings in a row last week and then yesterday morning. Each one lasts about 1-2 minutes and he seems fully awake and aware of his surroundings. It’s just a slight side to side movement, nothing to “spastic.” After the first two I did a lot of reading online and found that I may be able to make it stop with distractions or a treat, so that’s what I did yesterday...it was just a few seconds. Went to the vet yesterday for this and the fact that he’s had on and off diarrhea for about a month or so, fecal floatation and blood work all normal. He was put on antibiotics for diarrhea (possible stomach virus)before we start eliminating foods etc....anyway, showed vet a short video of tremor and he suspects a petit mal seizure....this saddens me. Everything I read online says that some breeds such as bulldogs have been know for these “idiopathic” tremors and it’s not a seizure...also when I research mal petit it states that dog stares into space and almost loses consciousness, he does not do this. Vet wants to keep an eye on him, bring him in if it progresses, he’s seen dogs that have these and then all of a sudden never have one again. I’m terrified, I’d love to hear any advice or experiences. On a side note, I’ve been switching food brands very often because of the chronic diarrhea and now this, I was scared maybe some foods are doing this to him, vet says there is no correlation between the two...
Thanks fo any help...

·
Registered
884 Posts
So sorry. I don't have any health advice, just this:
don't panic.
Sometimes small things stay small, sometimes they just go away, as your vet said.
My cat Batman came to me (adopted) with an alarming hacking cough every time he purred, and sometimes just because. Vet records showed him repeatedly under treatment, and finally calling it 'stress' (he was from a home with a cat-chasing dog).
It just faded, as in, was no big deal, never got worse, never got more frequent, got better, occasionally a yawn turns into a hack, I'm guessing there's some scar tissue there, and that's that. (he was not treated for it by us)
This has nothing to do with tremors or your problem, just an example that going into full blown worst case scenario mode is normal for us doting humans, but an accurate assessment of probable outcomes. So, keep up with what you need to do (keep in touch with the vets) and as much as you can, carry on cheerfully.
Wishes for health for your Floki

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aw, poor kitty, thanks for sharing your story...I do tend to overthink a lot, just a worried mom...I couldn’t imagine something happening to him, only had him a short time but whoa he’s stolen our hearts.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Eh, Batman's just fine, having a blast in his digs. He was rehomed to me with his partner in crime, Simba, aka "The Dudes", & while they've retained an outsized fear of dogs (doesn't matter how calm or polite resident dog is, they are really cautious around him, well, actually, Simba's started trying to bug him, but that's a whole nother story), anyway, just trying to keep you entertained while you wait for more news.
It's different when it's a youngster, so just keep your mind occupied while you wait for tests or time or both to tell.
Ah, just remembered another story,
Zandor at about 10 years old, came home & found him unable to get up or walk straight, crap & vomit all over the floor, head shaking, wobbling, drooling, you get the picture. Took him to the vet for what we thought would be the last time; turned out to be 'canine vestibular disease', basically a loss of balance due to inner ear damage, sends dogs (and people, called vertigo for the humans) spinning in space. Feels awful, they get over it. He recovered and was just fine excepting the usual advances of old age (got to 16)
& one more,
Riker, Old Cat. He's going on 19.
A few years ago, I notice a tremble in his head, like parkinsons patients. I never took him to the vet for that. It was slight, for a day, and then gone again. I saw it a few more times, and then gone again. Now at his age, I'm not obsessing over every little thing, at his age, somethings going to get him eventually, but the thing is, 'it' went away. Right now, his biggest health problem is The Dudes, because they pester him.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eh, Batman's just fine, having a blast in his digs. He was rehomed to me with his partner in crime, Simba, aka "The Dudes", & while they've retained an outsized fear of dogs (doesn't matter how calm or polite resident dog is, they are really cautious around him, well, actually, Simba's started trying to bug him, but that's a whole nother story), anyway, just trying to keep you entertained while you wait for more news.
It's different when it's a youngster, so just keep your mind occupied while you wait for tests or time or both to tell.
Ah, just remembered another story,
Zandor at about 10 years old, came home & found him unable to get up or walk straight, crap & vomit all over the floor, head shaking, wobbling, drooling, you get the picture. Took him to the vet for what we thought would be the last time; turned out to be 'canine vestibular disease', basically a loss of balance due to inner ear damage, sends dogs (and people, called vertigo for the humans) spinning in space. Feels awful, they get over it. He recovered and was just fine excepting the usual advances of old age (got to 16)
& one more,
Riker, Old Cat. He's going on 19.
A few years ago, I notice a tremble in his head, like parkinsons patients. I never took him to the vet for that. It was slight, for a day, and then gone again. I saw it a few more times, and then gone again. Now at his age, I'm not obsessing over every little thing, at his age, somethings going to get him eventually, but the thing is, 'it' went away. Right now, his biggest health problem is The Dudes, because they pester him.
Haha, the dudes! Love it...well, your stories certainly give me hope, fingers crossed...thanks so much!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Petite mal: animal is still. Not shaking head. Grand mal tonic clonic- spasms are symmetrical. Get a 2nd opinion please. If you can call ur dog during and it looks at you, its not either type of seizure.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Petite mal: animal is still. Not shaking head. Grand mal tonic clonic- spasms are symmetrical. Get a 2nd opinion please. If you can call ur dog during and it looks at you, its not either type of seizure.
Thank you, yes, if this persists we will get a second opinion. I love our vet but everything online goes against what he’s saying (I hate to be that person though, vet vs online people, lol but...) and against what we told him. I didn’t know what he meant by petit mal until I got home and researched...that’s not it...he’s fully aware and functioning during the episodes...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also about the chronic diarrhea...he’s on 2000mg/day, I always thought antibiotics caused diarrhea, lol. Oh man...

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
What food and treats are you giving him?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What food and treats are you giving him?
We started him on taste of the wild-puppy bison for the first couple months, switched to salmon puppy (this was when he got his first head tremor) ate that 2 days and put him on Merrik-puppy chicken...all these are grain free, no change so I got a small bag of puppy Merrik chicken WITH grain, no change so that is now mixed with Diamond Naturals chicken-all life stages...not sure what I’ll get next, nothing settles...his treats are mainly “no grainers” training treats and smartbones or dreambones (rawhide free teething bones) all natural ingredients.

Also....another tremor episode this morning :(

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
another vote for 2nd opinion.

food & /or food changes, diet changes, won't cause head-tremors.
But they CAN cause diarrhea - it takes about 7 to 10-days to switch a dog from one food to another.

1/4 new to 3/4 prior, 2 to 3 days
1/2 & 1/2, 2 to 3 days
3/4 to 1/4, 2 to 3 days
Finally, assuming all goes tickity-boo, 100% new diet.

If at any point, diarrhea or even soft-but-formed stool occurs, GO ONE STEP BACK for at least 2 days, then try again.

that's the general outline for switching diets in K9s or felines. :)

A focal seizure is another possibility; so is idiopathic seizures. They can be mild for life, they can come & go, they can be responses to stress [house moves, new baby, new BF / GF / housemate, ______ ].

I'd opt for a 2nd opinion, if that's not financially impossible. A referral to a k9 neurologist would not be amiss.
More nuanced knowledge could give U better info, & NOT KNOWING is a huge worry. Even if it's bad news, knowledge is - IME - helpful.
Try not to catastrophize. I know, it's really upsetting. :( Hang in there - he's happy in himself, not in pain - I'd get a good Dx workup.

- terry

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

But they CAN cause diarrhea - it takes about 7 to 10-days to switch a dog from one food to another.

1/2 & 1/2, 2 to 3 days
3/4 to 1/4, 2 to 3 days

If at any point, diarrhea or even soft-but-formed stool occurs, GO ONE STEP BACK for at least 2 days, then try again.

A focal seizure is another possibility; so is idiopathic seizures. They can be mild for life, they can come & go, they can be responses to stress [house moves, new baby, new BF / GF / housemate, ______ ].

I'd opt for a 2nd opinion, if that's not financially impossible. A referral to a k9 neurologist would not be amiss.
More nuanced knowledge could give U better info, & NOT KNOWING is a huge worry. Even if it's bad news, knowledge is - IME - helpful.
Try not to catastrophize. I know, it's really upsetting. :( Hang in there - he's happy in himself, not in pain - I'd get a good Dx workup.

- terry

Yes thanks...I’ve always transitioned slowly when changing any of my animal’s diets....except with the salmon flavor since that was day of his first head tremors and it terrified me...still diarrhea...I’ve decided this time to leave him on this food for at least a month or longer before changing ever again. Also, no treats which is tough since he’s in classes etc, not sure what to do there.

I’m leaning toward idiopathic tremors as well, my 24 hour a day research for two weeks seems to suggest that too...I don’t want him on seizure meds if it’s not harmful. Also, no change in lifestyle or any stressors going on :/

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts

1/2 & 1/2, 2 to 3 days
3/4 to 1/4, 2 to 3 days

- terry

The reason I was asking about the food is that Beneful has been noted to cause head tremors, along with a lot of other weird symptoms. Not trying to say that Beneful is the devil and going to kill dogs (if that were the case there'd be a lot of dead dogs out there) just that I suspect a sensitivity to something in the food can cause weird symptoms in pets. https://wagwalking.com/condition/beneful-allergies , and it's the same with treats from China, they cause some weird symptoms in some pets, not all but definitely some. It's always good to rule out the easy to eliminate things from the equation.

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
He can have treats - just stick to proteins, & short-list.

I’ve decided to leave him on this food for at least a month or longer before changing ever again.
Also, no treats - which is tough since he’s in classes etc, not sure what to do there.

Why?
If he's eating an ostrich-based diet, LOL, give ostrich treats. :D Whatever the proteins, use those.
Simple.

If he's had salmon with no issues, & has no dairy intolerance [lactose-intolerance is pretty glaringly obvious, when it happens], i'd mix cheap canned salmon, bones & all, with low-fat cream-cheese.
Put it in a food-grade silicone squeeze bottle [WASH it 1st!], & dole it out by tiny squeezes & licks. E-Z. ;)

I'd get creative - just use a limited menu.
- terry

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, I keep thinking food related, thanks Rain!
Terry, true, thanks...I don’t know what his intolerances are yet so who knows, now he has a rash between legs, ugh...I just meant no more commercial treats that I buy..

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
maybe...

Just noticed yer in Arizona - what's the current temp range in the daytime?

Anything 55' F or higher can mean seasonal insect hatches or resident-insect activity - mozzies, fleas, mites, fire-ants, spiders, ________ .
If he has flea-bite dermatitis, ONE BITE can cause itching over a large area - U don't need to have fleas in the house, he can be bitten while outside, & suffer for 3 to 7 days from 1 bite.

Are there local wild mammals, or feral cats? - they would be feeding reservoirs for flea popns. Rabbits, squirrels, rats / mice, 'coons, possum, skunk, whatever warm-blooded critters - particularly feral or free-roaming cats.

A chilling pad to lie on will help reduce the itch & soothe his skin. Safe, nontoxic, no chemicals - some go in the 'frig, others U run cool tap-water into or over - models vary.

he could also react to plants - esp'ly itchy ones, such as poison ivy, ..." sumac, ..." oak, stinging nettles...
Or he could have a grass allergy, housedust, dust MITES, --
the "laundry softener" [liquid, sheets, added or already in detergent] is a frequent culprit.

If U have a whole-house air duct system for heat / AC, use a HEPA filter on the air intake -
3M makes the best: Ultrete, comes in all sizes, runs around $15, lasts 90-days.
Won't limit airflow; just B sure to TAPE around it so that the air is forced to go thru the filter, not over, under, or around it into the intake. Masking tape is easy to remove & effective.
Put the DATE on it when it goes in, & write the 3-mos later remove date on it, too. Makes it easy to see & keep track. :thumbsup:
A good HEPA filter reduces multiple allergens - auto exhaust, pollen, unburned hydrocarbons, microdebris like dander & saliva, particulates, even viruses, plus it reduces the household dust, on surfaces, & in the air.

I hope U get some definitive Dx soon - an allergy panel might be a helpful test.
k9 dermatologists are terrific when it comes to allergies. ;)

- terry

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The reason I was asking about the food is that Beneful has been noted to cause head tremors, along with a lot of other weird symptoms. Not trying to say that Beneful is the devil and going to kill dogs (if that were the case there'd be a lot of dead dogs out there) just that I suspect a sensitivity to something in the food can cause weird symptoms in pets. https://wagwalking.com/condition/beneful-allergies , and it's the same with treats from China, they cause some weird symptoms in some pets, not all but definitely some. It's always good to rule out the easy to eliminate things from the equation.

Why?
If he's eating an ostrich-based diet, LOL, give ostrich treats. :D Whatever the proteins, use those.
Simple.

If he's had salmon with no issues, & has no dairy intolerance [lactose-intolerance is pretty glaringly obvious, when it happens], i'd mix cheap canned salmon, bones & all, with low-fat cream-cheese.
Put it in a food-grade silicone squeeze bottle [WASH it 1st!], & dole it out by tiny squeezes & licks. E-Z. ;)

I'd get creative - just use a limited menu.
- terry

Just noticed yer in Arizona - what's the current temp range in the daytime?

Anything 55' F or higher can mean seasonal insect hatches or resident-insect activity - mozzies, fleas, mites, fire-ants, spiders, ________ .
If he has flea-bite dermatitis, ONE BITE can cause itching over a large area - U don't need to have fleas in the house, he can be bitten while outside, & suffer for 3 to 7 days from 1 bite.

Are there local wild mammals, or feral cats? - they would be feeding reservoirs for flea popns. Rabbits, squirrels, rats / mice, 'coons, possum, skunk, whatever warm-blooded critters - particularly feral or free-roaming cats.

A chilling pad to lie on will help reduce the itch & soothe his skin. Safe, nontoxic, no chemicals - some go in the 'frig, others U run cool tap-water into or over - models vary.

he could also react to plants - esp'ly itchy ones, such as poison ivy, ..." sumac, ..." oak, stinging nettles...
Or he could have a grass allergy, housedust, dust MITES, --
the "laundry softener" [liquid, sheets, added or already in detergent] is a frequent culprit.

If U have a whole-house air duct system for heat / AC, use a HEPA filter on the air intake -
3M makes the best: Ultrete, comes in all sizes, runs around $15, lasts 90-days.
Won't limit airflow; just B sure to TAPE around it so that the air is forced to go thru the filter, not over, under, or around it into the intake. Masking tape is easy to remove & effective.
Put the DATE on it when it goes in, & write the 3-mos later remove date on it, too. Makes it easy to see & keep track. :thumbsup:
A good HEPA filter reduces multiple allergens - auto exhaust, pollen, unburned hydrocarbons, microdebris like dander & saliva, particulates, even viruses, plus it reduces the household dust, on surfaces, & in the air.

I hope U get some definitive Dx soon - an allergy panel might be a helpful test.
k9 dermatologists are terrific when it comes to allergies. ;)

- terry

We are in northern Az, very cold and snowy right now, never any fleas or ticks here even in summer. His yard area is all rock, although occasionally we hike in the woods where he could get something I guess, it’s been a couple weeks though. I run a dehumidifier with an air filter. Washing all his blankets now in hot water, no dryer sheets etc. I’ve been cleaning his rash and using vetericyn per vet unless it worsens...

·
Registered
785 Posts
Benefal reaction link from leashed ? seriously shocked me. I feed raw as i trust 100% everything they eat is unprocessed, zero additives. I have crones disease and react badly to additives in any purchased food. When i make pastry it has 3 ingredients - supermarket pastry has 8. And thats human grade food! When my dogs eat meat it has 1 ingredient- meat and i like that simplicity and safety.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts