Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

He lunged at a child!

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Rain 
Oh I'm so sorry that that happened! I know how heartbreaking it is when they lunge at children. Zody has done so more then once and twice the child was not doing anything at all but being still.

I agree with muzzle training Comet, but it needs to be a basket muzzle. Cloth muzzles that hold the mouth closed do not allow the dog to pant, drink, nor take treats, and in this heat panting is a must or your dog will overheat. Ones like this https://www.chewy.com/baskerville-u...le&utm_term=&gclid=CP2C8JOjs80CFQiQaQod0X0Dcw that allow the dog to take treats will be very helpful in working with Comet.

Could Comet have been upset by the children riding their bikes or something else? Like today we had a thunderstorm come through where I live and Zody would have likely been more reactive due to it if I had taken him for a walk afterwards and he saw people.

Remember that distance is the key, when working with reactive dogs. Forcing him into something while he is over threshold will likely result in him becoming worse. So stay back from the kids and allow him to watch them while doing fun stuff with him, you could feed him high value treats, or maybe play a fun game, so that he learns that seeing the kids (or people in general) gets him great things, then as he becomes happy to see kids at that distance move a bit closer and start the process again. Work at his speed and don't rush it.

Here's a link that's loaded with tips for working with reactive dogs, it's helped me so much with Zody, Care for Reactive Dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.