Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So I need you all to tel me if I am over reacting.

At my apartment complex there is a dog park (really a dust pit with a fence, but hey I'll take what I get). I love to take Tux there when no other dogs are inside because it gets him running around, and he is still a bit too young to be there when other dogs are. Today we went outside and no dogs were around, and Tux trotted over to the door excited to play (usually we play "hide and seek". Essentially me waiting for him to be distracted, running to the other end and calling him). We went outside and all was well for about 15 minutes.

Now, I saw this guy coming over with his two dogs. As usual I called to Tux, grabbed his leash and went to hook him up. Now Tux loves other dogs and ran over to the fence to say "hi" with his tail going, clearly unthreatening. One of the dogs barked happily, but the other started growling. I knew it was time to get out so I hooked Tux up and went to grab my keys and cellphone. The guy just unhooked his dogs and let them in while my back was to the gate. Before I knew what was happening one of the dogs was literally on top of Tux with Tux's entire body in his mouth, growling like a maniac. My poor boy started SCREECHING. I pushed the dog off him and pulled Tux into my arms by his harness (he weighs all of nine pounds).

To be perfectly honest, I was in complete shock. I have never been in this situation before, and I have two six year old dogs back home... so it's not like I haven't been around dogs interacting. Poor Tux was shaking and the other dog is just trying to climb up me growling and snapping at my poor baby. The guy just goes "No." and while I am grateful the dog stopped, it doesn't make it ok. Neither does "He was just playing." I know play growling, that was not it. I didn't say anything to the guy and just walked away because I was in shock.

Am I over-reacting for being pissed? I wish I had said something, but honestly I was too worried about my guy and his safety, I just high tailed it outta there. :(

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Always listen to the dogs over the human, that's what I have learned! If the owner is telling you one thing but the dogs body language is telling you another, listen to the guy with the rows of sharp teeth!!!

That aside, even play involving picking up smaller dogs is just asking for a trip to the vet. You did the right think.

·
Registered
531 Posts
As a person that owns big dogs, big dogs that growl a lot when playing, I am appalled at the lack of common courtesy that this person showed.

I don't go to dog parks but if I did - if I saw a person with a small dog (any dog for that matter), I would ask if his dog was ok with dogs in general, especially big ones.
If I came to a dog park and it was obvious that same person was calling that dog to them to put on a harness - you wait!

Like Kelly said - trust your gut and a dogs body language over the person - all the time! People lie and what's more depressing, many of them don't know any better!

Even if this dog was in fact playing, he showed very poor doggy manners at best!

I hope you both are ok!

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
No, you're not overreacting. Kelly is right. Listen to your dog. 'Don't ever be afraid to "offend" anyone whose dog bullies yours.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Oh I would have been fuming! I likely would have also just left though, if I had said anything it would not have been nice, nor would it have been to discuss the matter in a civilized manner.

What you described was not playing, and I sincerely hope that no lasting mental harm happened to poor Tux.

Have you considered reporting the incident to your apartment manager? I know that most dog parks are user beware but maybe a warning could be issued to the guy before his dog seriously harms another dog.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Wow, to be perfectly honest, I don't know how I would react, but I think you DID the right thing. Shoved that dog and quickly scooped up your pup and put yourself inbetween the attacker.

To me, I don't know if I would have shoved the dog off if he had Kuma pinned to the ground and Kuma screeching and yelping. I think I might end up kicking the dog to get it off Kuma and then quickly scooping Kuma up and leaving without even saying a word to the idiot. (i'm going off of when I was younger and I was walking my alaskan sled husky reject and I had a chain for his leash the saint came charging up to us and attacked my Kilo(his name). I used the tip of the chain to try and whip at the dog while screaming and yelling, (Mind you I was around 6 to 9 years old at the time.) So, based off that, I think I might end up kicking the dog as hard as I can. (Which is sad because it's probably not the dog's fault, but my dog's safety always comes first to me.)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone!

To be perfectly honest Tux is doing much better than his neurotic Momma. I took him out about an hour and a half after it happened (puppy bladder :roll eyes: ) and he was a bit nervous at first. We didn't run into that dog again, but did see a few of his puppy friends which made him happy and he seems to be like my fun boy again :)

I talked to a few of my neighbors and apparently that dog bullies a bunch of the small dogs around here. He is just a bit of a meanie so everyone practices a "if you see him, go the other way" mentality. Lesson learned. I do just wanna say I know it isn't a normal big dog thing- one of Tux's favorite dogs is a 8 year old lab about 5 times the size of him lol They look so silly playing together, but that big guy is such a love with Tux. When they are play nipping I am totally cool... In actuality I am totally ok with older dogs barking/nipping at Tux when they get annoyed- he is a puppy and needs to learn the rules of dog world! Today was just super scary for both of us... but again he is handling it like a pro!

Here is a picture of my trooper (1) with his new toy and (2) waiting to go see his best friends Max and Fresno (my friends two kittens that are his age). Hope you all had a good day! :dog-love:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
oh he is soo cute. I just want to gobble him up..... oh I mean in a good way.... that didn't come out right. lol. Make sure he has more positive encounters with larger dogs in controlled settings. If you can, find a person who has an overly friendly big dog so your pup realizes not all big dogs are scary.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I do not think you over reacted.The other dog could have really hurt your dog. It is better to be safe than sorry. I took my doberman Katie to the dog park and a bulldog jumped on her and started growling at her. The owner of the dog was very unconcerned. I was very upset. So I know how you feel!

·
Registered
876 Posts
Dogs know when it's just play, even when it's a big dog vs a little dog. Their play growl is very different from their I-Mean-It growl, and that dog wasn't playing if he was growling before he even got into the area. Never mind jumping for your dog like a dog might after a piece of steak.

You made the right decision. It wasn't play, it wasn't a play growl, the dog meant harm.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Thank goodness Tux is okay!!!!! That dog was Not being friendly at all.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
It wasn't play, it wasn't a play growl, the dog meant harm.
I think what the dog did was totally inappropriate, but if the dog meant harm the OPs dog would be dead or seriously injured. A big dog doesn't get a small dog in its mouth and not hurt it if it actually means harm.

Having said that. The dog is a bully. It may very well be playing but its style of play is totally inappropriate. You're probably not going to change the owner, so I would go along with everyone else and just actively avoid the dog and its owner.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I think what the dog did was totally inappropriate, but if the dog meant harm the OPs dog would be dead or seriously injured. A big dog doesn't get a small dog in its mouth and not hurt it if it actually means harm.

Having said that. The dog is a bully. It may very well be playing but its style of play is totally inappropriate. You're probably not going to change the owner, so I would go along with everyone else and just actively avoid the dog and its owner.
Bullying dogs looking to push other dogs around aren't looking to get into lethal fights, but they're also... not playing.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Maisy is a terrible bully with dogs other than my own and I think from her perspective she is absolutely playing.

It's just not fun for anyone but her. So she doesn't get to play with anyone but my other dogs, ever.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts