Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am new here and am looking for some feedback as I am feeling sort of guilty for wanting to get another dog...

I have now a fairly timid, herding breed, intact male. He isn't my breed of choice, though he his a lovely dog and I enjoy showing him and love him dearly as a pet. He was a very generous gift from a breeder friend who needed to place him due to her personal and living situation changing. At the time I was dog-less and very happy to have the opportunity to own a nice dog that I could show. I initially had wanted to do agility and conformation but I struggled for two years to get him socialized enough just for conformation. He was always ok with other dogs but at one point was downright terrified of meeting new people. He is not confident enough to enjoy agility and that is fine. We have tried other 'fun' stuff but he doesn't deem any of it 'fun' and gets quite stressed.

And now, after about 10 years of wanting, I have the opportunity to purchase a show quality puppy that's the breed that I want and have wanted since my family owned a couple when I was a child.

My dilemma is that I have this nice male already, whom I have no plans on ever breeding. I actually have very little interest in the breed itself. I of course would like to keep the dog and continue to show him until he is finished, as that's the word I gave the breeder when I picked him up. She has quite a nice stud already and is showing another male from a different litter at the moment.

My question is, how many people have successfully had two intact males within a home environment (my dog is crate trained but he's a house dog, and potential future dog will be as well)? We have 'visited' other families with intact males in the household and not had problems integrating for the weekend or week long stays (friends who have show dogs as well). My dog is non-threatening I suppose, with his timid and easygoing personality. I guess I'm just hoping for a situation where I can have both the dog of my dreams and this wonderful boy whom I love dearly. I know that each situation will be different depending on the dogs, but I feel like there have been so many people who frown on this idea.

Long post, I know, but any suggestions from the group? Please be gentle...lol

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I would say it depends on the dogs. Of our Aussies, we had two intact. One is fine, just laid back and a real couch potato you couldn't get riled up if you tried. The other is super athletic, and is all about catching a disk, but his attitude was terrible and he was aggressive as hell to all our others. females included. He even got a little "iffy" towards us as well at times. We had him neutered, and it has changed his attitude almost like a light switch. So, if they seem to do fine intact I would leave them both. If not, you may need to neuter.

·
Registered
434 Posts
If you're not breeding him, why keep him intact? I ask because my vet asked me this same thing. My puppy Morkie is about 4 months now and will be neutered at 6-7 months of age. He has one testicle that has not yet distended so the surgery would be a little more involved. I asked if it was absolutely necessary to have him neutered and my vet replied that there is always a chance for testicular cancer in dogs that are left intact. So, I've decided to go ahead with the surgery.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
It's hard, I don't know if it's a gender only thing or if it's more based on the dog. If he is more of a reserved personality I can see it working. I think you should be sure to set up designated areas for each dog that they can go to if they need to get away from the other.

What breed are you going for? Still going to pursue agility?

If you're not breeding him, why keep him intact? I ask because my vet asked me this same thing. My puppy Morkie is about 4 months now and will be neutered at 6-7 months of age. He has one testicle that has not yet distended so the surgery would be a little more involved. I asked if it was absolutely necessary to have him neutered and my vet replied that there is always a chance for testicular cancer in dogs that are left intact. So, I've decided to go ahead with the surgery.
She shows confirmation. A dog can not be neutered if they show confirmation, it's against the standard.

Reactions: Aspen726

·
Registered
434 Posts
It's hard, I don't know if it's a gender only thing or if it's more based on the dog. If he is more of a reserved personality I can see it working. I think you should be sure to set up designated areas for each dog that they can go to if they need to get away from the other.

She shows confirmation. A dog can not be neutered if they show confirmation, it's against the standard.
Ahhhh!!! Makes perfect sense. I hope it works out for all of you. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I am going to have crates for both if I get the other dog. Also my house shuts into two separate but just as large areas, so that wouldn't be a problem either.

I am looking to get a CC Retriever. I may pursue agility but I would really like to try field trials and still do conformation. I miss our old curly and have wanted one for an incredibly long time. Thanks everyone for the input!

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
I am going to have crates for both if I get the other dog. Also my house shuts into two separate but just as large areas, so that wouldn't be a problem either.

I am looking to get a CC Retriever. I may pursue agility but I would really like to try field trials and still do conformation. I miss our old curly and have wanted one for an incredibly long time. Thanks everyone for the input!
Oh curly coats are beautiful. No wonder you're not the biggest fan of the herder if your heart is with retrievers. Totally different dogs! I have a friend that has a Labrador that she started in field training and now does field, dock diving, obedience, and agility. Retrievers are so universal and well rounded.

Reactions: sprocket

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh curly coats are beautiful. No wonder you're not the biggest fan of the herder if your heart is with retrievers. Totally different dogs! I have a friend that has a Labrador that she started in field training and now does field, dock diving, obedience, and agility. Retrievers are so universal and well rounded.
Yes, not that my current boy isn't smart and fun, but he isn't as forward thinking and brave as my curly was. I miss that a lot!

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Yes, not that my current boy isn't smart and fun, but he isn't as forward thinking and brave as my curly was. I miss that a lot!
Two totally different types of smart! Different ways of thinking. I see it considering I have a lab and an aussie. Their minds are totally different.

I think it sounds like you are prepared to possibly have two intact males in the house. Hopefully they get along, but if need be you have the means to be able to separate them.

Also it depends on what you are wanting. Would you be ok with having two dogs live two different lives?

Reactions: sprocket

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Two totally different types of smart! Different ways of thinking. I see it considering I have a lab and an aussie. Their minds are totally different.

I think it sounds like you are prepared to possibly have two intact males in the house. Hopefully they get along, but if need be you have the means to be able to separate them.

Also it depends on what you are wanting. Would you be ok with having two dogs live two different lives?

yes, I'm fine with that. I also don't want to feel like I'm 'neglecting' one or the other though. If they don't get along I probably will end up discussing it with my current dogs breeder as well. Even though he is my dog in all senses, I don't want to upset her by neutering or drastically changing his home life without her input. I adore him and want to be able to have the best of both worlds, but I also want what's best for him, too. I suppose we will have to cross that bridge when we get there.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
yes, I'm fine with that. I also don't want to feel like I'm 'neglecting' one or the other though. If they don't get along I probably will end up discussing it with my current dogs breeder as well. Even though he is my dog in all senses, I don't want to upset her by neutering or drastically changing his home life without her input. I adore him and want to be able to have the best of both worlds, but I also want what's best for him, too. I suppose we will have to cross that bridge when we get there.
Hopefully with the puppy being raised with the other dog you can bring him up not to have problems with the other dog. Also sounds like you have a lot of educated people around that may be able to help if a problem were to arise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts