Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,222 Posts
I'm sorry you are facing this but this is the time to think about him, not about how you feel.

Realistically, he isn't likely to get better enough to have any good quality if life.

There is a saying, better a week too soon than a day too late. It is a horrible, horrible decision to make but please think of him.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Agree with @JoanneF 100%

I had to make the same decision for my 14.5 yr old on December 30th 2019. The vet was closed after the 30th, but I still wanted one more day with her. She had had a really bad seizure the night before and they had been getting worse for 6 months.

Six months earlier the decision had already been made for when the seizures would no longer manageable.
That didn't make it any easier, but I had to act for the dog and not for myself.
This was before Covid and I was able to be with her at the end. Be prepared if your vet will not allow you inside the practice.

It's been over a year and it still hurts, and always will.
Best wishes for both of you.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
You know what the difference is between a dog and a human? Doctors generally don't euthanize humans so everything is about prolonging life and control is taken out of our hands, with a dog the control is in your hands, our hands as owners we are expected to make that massive decision we're not trained for it, we're not ready for it .
having had dogs for over 40 years and having said goodbye more often than I care to remember I can tell you it never gets any easier it never feels right you always feel awful you always feel guilty but at the same time allowing a dog or anyone you love to suffer is wrong and much more painful.

my old vet had a good way of telling you it was time , he would lay out all kinds of options and then ask ' who am I doing it for your pet because he or she will have a better quality of life if you're you because you can't say goodbye' ?

this is not the time to be selfish it's not the time to put your feelings first, this is the time to put them first , to make sure that they are passing is the most peaceful painless and dignified it can possibly be.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.