Dog Forum banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Where I live in E. Tx, the licensing fee is tied in with the rabies vaccination, it was the same when I lived in New Orleans. You got your dog vaccinated against rabies, which is the law, and when you paid for the vaccination they gave you a tag and license. So anyone following the law and vaccinating their dog automatically gets the license. The fee is only $5.

I figure $5 isn't really to bad of a fee to pay every 3 years. For $5 my dog has a tag that proves he has been vaccinated against rabies, that if the number is called on it will link him back to me and his vet. If I'm ever bitten by a dog and it's wearing it's license tag then I know if I need to go seek rabies treatment or not. If a stray dog is wearing that tag it makes it that much easier to try and find it's owner. All of that for only $5.

If I'm going to gripe against fees then I have a bigger complaint with the cost of my own state ID. I don't drive, it's strictly an ID, an yet it has to be renewed every 3 years (just like my dogs license) yet it cost me $11 dollars to do so. Everyone knows that our looks change drastically every 3 years so, yeah it's not a huge money grab....
I wouldnt get it.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
not sure you are fully aware of how much money our government wastes. money that just goes into nowhere.if you knew how the mortgage system worked you would be amazed we have lasted this long.
I'm 51 years old, retired recently due to disability, I spent my last 25 years helping to run a family business. So I know about checks and balances...employees can have sticky fingers and little schemes to take what is not theirs thinking they won't get caught.

I invest in stocks and mutual funds and yes I have a house with 19 years left on a 30 year mortgage. I've read many articles about corruption in the mortgage businesses...etc.

I also at one time worked for my town's animal shelter. I know for a fact if all the dog owners in city limits would have paid their tag fees, our shelter could have had more time for the dogs instead of doing things like cleaning dog dishes by hand because of no funds for a dishwasher. Every dish every day was cleaned in a special detergent. Also, no dryer....so bedding changed every day was washed but then had to be hauled outside and hung...brought in later that day. We had almost no time to work with and socialize dogs that we deemed worth saving. Those dogs got about 1 month....Most dogs got 3 to 5 days....because of lack of funds.

I also love history, so I am very much aware of corruption in government's....including our own current USA government...as well as corporate b.s. that has tax laws in their favor. I do read financial news and world news articles....so I am, as I said...far more aware than what you give me credit for.

I just also think that in spite of the chance someone in local government "might"
be embezzling...it's still not an excuse to ignore duly passed city codes/fees. These dog tag fees are not budget breakers for most people and the combined monies go a long way in helping cities with shelter needs.

Stormy

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I wouldnt get it.

You don't get it then good luck trying to apply for gov assistance, opening a bank account, applying for a loan or credit card, traveling by plane, train, passenger ship, or bus, and that's the ones that my overly tired brain can think of right now, there's lots more.

Now it you stay out of trouble with the law, and have no desire to do any of that then it's not a problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I don't mean corruption in the mortgage system, I mean how it works. Bank has 10k in cash. they "borrow" 90k from the federal reserve. Money for which is just a number on a computer. Its made out of nowhere. has no value, and each mortgage sold hurts our economy more and more. There is no actual value or even physical substance. for every mortgage sold, 90% of it is created out of nowhere and floods our economy with so much currency its going to fail.

But on a more related topic.

1hr labor a day washing dishes for a month. 30 hr's * 8.00 = $240

vs

dish washer $50
5 minutes labor a day loading dishes for a month. 2.5 hr's * 8 + 50 = $70

Perhaps if they had business men running the government, rather than politicians. we could accomplish much more without the taxes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
You don't get it then good luck trying to apply for gov assistance, opening a bank account, applying for a loan or credit card, traveling by plane, train, passenger ship, or bus, and that's the ones that my overly tired brain can think of right now, there's lots more.

Now it you stay out of trouble with the law, and have no desire to do any of that then it's not a problem.
very true.

at least you can still vote lol:thumbsup:

·
Registered
106 Posts
PA just started a website for dog licenses & also now wastes money to send out reminder cards. I just got my two & for my recently departed Ren, I am supposed to mail it back in after checking deceased. They also have a red warning that dog wardens are currently canvasing the area for license & rabies checks!! They better NEVER try to fine me for no dog license at least until they license the darn cats that are allowed to run loose & make sure they have their rabies vaccination. I get a license every year, although sometimes I don't remember until March. I don't appreciate them wasting money sending out notices. I really don't even know where the money actually goes in our county. I am certainly not going to go online & pay $2 extra for some free posting on PA lost dog site or to get a paper copy of my license. I get a copy at my feed store. Maybe they can start licensing pet goats & rabbits along with cats. JMHO

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I guess that is my beef. There really is nothing im getting for tbat 10 dollars. I get proof of vacciniation from the vet, so the only thing the license gets me is proof that i have money to the hired gun tha keepa comming to my house

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
PA just started a website for dog licenses & also now wastes money to send out reminder cards. I just got my two & for my recently departed Ren, I am supposed to mail it back in after checking deceased. They also have a red warning that dog wardens are currently canvasing the area for license & rabies checks!! They better NEVER try to fine me for no dog license at least until they license the darn cats that are allowed to run loose & make sure they have their rabies vaccination. I get a license every year, although sometimes I don't remember until March. I don't appreciate them wasting money sending out notices. I really don't even know where the money actually goes in our county. I am certainly not going to go online & pay $2 extra for some free posting on PA lost dog site or to get a paper copy of my license. I get a copy at my feed store. Maybe they can start licensing pet goats & rabbits along with cats. JMHO
I'm in PA too. If your dogs have a permanent form of id (microchip or tatoo) maybe consider getting a lifetime license. I've done it for all my dogs. One time fee of $36 (or at least it was with my newest dog) and then you're good for the lifetime of the dog. You don't have to worry about yearly licenses and in most cases is way cheaper in the long run.;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm in PA too. If your dogs have a permanent form of id (microchip or tatoo) maybe consider getting a lifetime license. I've done it for all my dogs. One time fee of $36 (or at least it was with my newest dog) and then you're good for the lifetime of the dog. You don't have to worry about yearly licenses and in most cases is way cheaper in the long run.;)
Cady is microchipped & I have thought about a lifetime for her. It's always in the back of my mind that I jinx her long life by doing so, how stupid is that?? I just might do that since she is only 1.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
If my city offered this, I would probably actually do it. But we only have 3 year licenses and it's about $30 per dog for an altered dog and more for one that's not altered. It's too tied in with rabies I guess, and the vaccine is either 1 year or 3.

I honestly don't want to know how much my parents have spent on dog licenses. It probably would add up enough to have treated my parvo puppy that we had to put down because they couldn't afford to treat it. Or to get my cat taken care of that they also neglected due to money reasons. Obviously I take issue with having to pay money for a license lol.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Oh tb I agree many places have licensing fees that are a bit much...
PA is super easy and pretty affordable though. I'm trying to remember costs...
For yearly licenses it something like $6.50 for altered dogs. Its a bit more for unaltered and a bit less for disabled and iirc senior owners. Like I said I just do the lifetime licenses so don't remember exact fees. We can get licenses online, at local court houses, and various locations (here it's a pet supply store, the shelter, feed stores, and hardware stores).

Oh! And @Springer3 and any other PA people, the online website... just so you know you can also use it to search license numbers for owner contact info if you find a lost dog wearing it's tag. I used it several months ago and was able to get a dog back to it's owners within a half hour. Would have taken so much longer without the site as it was a Sat. night. Probably would have had to have kept the dog until Monday otherwise!:)

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
I license, happily. The money goes directly to Minneapois Animal Control, and I'm happy to support their efforts. Also, dog forbid something happens and my dog gets picked up by AC, a license means a phone call for me and a free ride home for him. Since it's tied to his microchip, a quick scan would also provide the officer with my veterinary clinic, which also happens to be the clinic contracted by AC. So, if my dog gets loose, gets hit by a car, he's not going to languish waiting for approval to proceed with necessary medical attention.

Worth it for me.

I think our yearly s/n license is $25.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
If my city offered this, I would probably actually do it. But we only have 3 year licenses and it's about $30 per dog for an altered dog and more for one that's not altered. It's too tied in with rabies I guess, and the vaccine is either 1 year or 3.

I honestly don't want to know how much my parents have spent on dog licenses. It probably would add up enough to have treated my parvo puppy that we had to put down because they couldn't afford to treat it. Or to get my cat taken care of that they also neglected due to money reasons. Obviously I take issue with having to pay money for a license lol.
And thats another thing. i don't pay money to get my dog fixed, so they figure i have more money they can take from me? services don't change, why does the cost change?

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
And thats another thing. i don't pay money to get my dog fixed, so they figure i have more money they can take from me? services don't change, why does the cost change?

YOu don't get your dog fixed, you breed your dog, you make money on pups, you have more money that they can take from you. You also very likely contribute to the number of dogs in the shelter because you are breeding your dog, which cost the city more money if those dogs end up in the city shelter.

Reactions: cookieface

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
YOu don't get your dog fixed, you breed your dog, you make money on pups, you have more money that they can take from you. You also very likely contribute to the number of dogs in the shelter because you are breeding your dog, which cost the city more money if those dogs end up in the city shelter.
So, in other words. when i don't breed my dog, I pay for services that are not given to me.

Either that, or since i bread my dog, and presumably sold the pups, not only do they have to pay money, but now government figures, since i have more money, they are entitled to some of the money i now have.

Ya know, there was a time when all you had to do was go buy a dog if you wanted a dog, and you didnt have to worry about being arrested if you did not pay money to the government for it.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts

Ya know, there was a time when all you had to do was go buy a dog if you wanted a dog, and you didnt have to worry about being arrested if you did not pay money to the government for it.
You are so wrong there. Even in the middle ages, there were taxes and laws about dog ownership. In England, dogs of certain size in rural areas had to have a leg crippled, by law. This was so the villagers dogs couldn't chase the King's game. Heavy fines and punishment were imposed upon dog owners who didn't comply. Also, the "government" even told people they couldn't own certain breeds...greyhounds were unlawful for commoners to own.

Ok we all get it you don't like government or taxes. You see nothing positive that comes with cities making pet owners help cover the cost of taking care of lost dogs, extra puppies no one wants, and trying to lower the risk of diseases that can cause death in denser pet populations mixed in with humans...such is the case in a city/town.

The world has never been as simple as you seem to think. Tammany Hall and railroad barrons, and a slew of other political and corporate entities have always used public funds....long before income taxes here in the states became law.

In ancient times, villagers always paid weird fees and fines for upkeep of churches bridges, the kings parks...that they couldn't hunt in. Exeter church for over 1000 years, used tithe monies to feed cathedral cats when mice populations were down. So the idea of animal care in using required taxes (and tithing was required) isn't a new concept. I'm sure back then there were folks grousing about waste of funds for that...lol.

If you really want to see gross mismanagement of taxing and misuse of tax monies...there's also several thousand years of Roman Empire history to read about.

My point I guess, is, what you are grumbling on about is not unique. I also think when compared to historical abuses by governments, we live in a society, that at least gives us many rights, and our taxes and local fees are not utterly misused such as in some ages of governments..and even in a few modern day ones.

I know there is corruption, but also know we have it better than what most of human kind has had it through out history....and even today in some ultra restrictive countries where you are told what religion to follow and/or women are non people...people are taxed and never see new wells put in, roads paved, or other infrastructure improvements due to uncontrolled misuse of public funds.

Stormy

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
You live in a society. Societies have rules. To enforce and implement rules, taxes are collected.
The alternative can be much much worse. I find this particular complaint about oppressive government fees somewhat ludicrous but some people will complain about anything because they'd rather complain than act.

21 - 40 of 82 Posts