Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Through a round of bad luck, I got selected for jury duty just nine days after adopting a second dog. As such, I'm going to have to board the newer dog because she isn't properly trained to have run of the house (due to possible separation anxiety and destructive chewing).

Any suggestions on how to convey to a new dog that I'm not abandoning her though she'll be in boarding for at least two days, possibly a week?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
If you received a jury duty notice and have not actually gone through voir dire and been selected as a juror, in most jurisdictions you can call the court clerk and make a deal to trade the jury date you have been called for, for another specific date a month or two in the future.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I would try at all costs to have your jury duty postponed. I had to board a recently adopted dog a few weeks back and I definitely felt that it made his adoption more confusing and stressful (I get why the owner couldn't help it). If he didn't have separation anxiety before, he definitely did when he was with me. He's an incredibly resilient dog, but it took him a while to come down from the whole experience.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was too late to postpone jury duty so I wound up boarding Coco, the newer dog, for two days. To provide some reassurance I rubbed a toy and a Nylabone so there would be some lingering scent from me on those items.

Things actually went OK. Her separation anxiety is no worse than before (but does need work - that's my next training priority). She got along with other dogs at the boarding facility and used the dog run (unlike my other dog, Nutmeg, who I had to board about three weeks after adoption).

I'm consulting a vet about medication to treat separation anxiety so I can train Coco to tolerate my being away. In the meantime, I'm also teaching her to do progressively longer stays (I'm up to 1 minute now, going to try to stretch out to 5 minutes) so she can get comfortable with the idea that I can be in another room (or outside) and not be abandoning her.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts