Dog Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mini dachshund and I got her when she was 3 months and is my first dog. She is a little over 5 months now and I have not been able to get her house trained. I have been able to get to to use pee pads inside her play pen which she goes on them about 90% of the time. Sometimes she will go right next to them which is frustrating. I've been wanting to transition her outside but she refuses to go. She will just hold it in until we bring her back inside. Even going to to dog park, she will not go until we get back home. I have tried putting her on her leash and standing with her outside until she goes but nothing. When I cannot supervise her or when i'm not at home, she is inside her crate and most of the time she holds it when shes in there with an accident here and there. Any tips on how to get her to go outside?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
You need to reinforce her going to the toilet outside so take something yummy outside like a few pieces of chicken and when she goes outside throw a party, lots of praise and treats.

Make sure your cleaning her accidents up with an enzymatic cleaner to get rid of the urine smell, normal household cleaners don't do the job. Also never ever scold her for having accidents.

If your taking her out in the yard for the bathroom then keeping on the move should stimulate her to go potty, just keep on the move. Take her outside for the bathroom after meals, after drinking, playing and sleeping. If you can't supervise her when your out then you may want to hire a professional dog walker to come by and take her out. I'm a dog walker and regularly visit puppies for bathroom breaks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts