Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I am looking for some moral support I think. We have a new puppy and are trying to crate train him. There is no problem at night, we put a few treats in the crate and away he goes for the night. It is in the morning and daytime that breaks our heart. When we get up in the morning I take him outside to do his business, feed him and give fresh water then we go for an hour long walk. I get home from that and we try to have a quiet time to calm him down then I get ready for work and he gladly goes into his crate for a treat but as soon as I close the door he start to cry and bark. I go home during my lunch and take him for a 30 minute walk and repeat the process and so does he. He is not afraid of the crate because when we are home we leave the door open and he goes in to sleep and plays in there by himself. I think the problem is that we as owners feel so guilty about putting him in the crate for the day that we are making more out of it than there really is. Any suggestions though would be greatly appreciated.:(

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Is he clicker trained? If you have a few minutes a few times a day you can have him go to the crate, close the crate door, wait 5-10 seconds, then click-treat him, that should help. Slowly increase the time every time you do this it, so that eventually you are waiting several minutes or longer before click-treating. You may also need to click-treat him for you leaving vs. just sitting and waiting, but eventually he should be comfy staying in the crate right after you crate him.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I think the problem is that we as owners feel so guilty about putting him in the crate for the day that we are making more out of it than there really is. (
I think you may be right. Exactly the same thing happened with me and Synnu. I didn't like putting him in his crate because he cried - so then I hated it more - and he cried more. I'm sure I set up this negative cycle when, every time I put him in I felt stressed and he reacted to it.

The only way I broke the cycle was to get my husband to put him in the crate as he (husband) wasn't anywhere near as 'soft' as me. It did seem to work and though my pup never used the crate voluntarily, at least he didn't cry when we put him in it. Only took 2-3 days too.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I found the key to crate training Zoey was the motivation for getting in the crate... Better treats... I home make some oatmeal, cheddar cookies for her and she ONLY gets them going in the crate(unless she is being SUPER good, Laying calmly on her mat while I cook dinner for instance) she will now SPRINT for her kennel for the cookies...

we also started to play games, I closed the door and drop the cookie in where she can see it and tell her to kennel up! and she will open the crate to get the cookie. Or we play "dash in dash out" and sometimes I will sit next to her while she was in her crate and read or play with my computer. Also her first few nights she slept in the crate(leash on) with the top off, with my hand in the crate for comfort.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks I will give some of these ideas a try. I know that he only barks for about 5 minutes after we leave so hopefully it will get better

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
then give him something to do in those 5mins... eat, kong, chewie, big crunchy bone...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Start feeding any and all meals in the crate.
Absolutely. And try to crate him for small periods during the day, while you're home, so he'll see it's nothing to get worked up over. Crate him, let him cry it out (with the option to chew on an especially yummy, crate-only treat) and only when he's quiet do you walk back in the room praising him and let him out. Do this a few times a day so he doesn't anticipate that day crating is when you'll be gone for hours.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone, Night time has become very enjoyable since for some reason he has just decided that he is fine in the crate overnight, curls up and falls asleep without so much as a whimper. Morning time is a lot better but still needs some work. I did try feeding him in the crate but he would not even go in. As soon I took his dish out of the crate he went in and laid down. He is not afraid of the crate which is good and I am wondering if the problem is that he is only up for 2 hours in the morning before going back into it. When I come home at lunch for him he is always fine and when I leave for work again after lunch he just curls up and sleeps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Absolutely. And try to crate him for small periods during the day, while you're home, so he'll see it's nothing to get worked up over. Crate him, let him cry it out (with the option to chew on an especially yummy, crate-only treat) and only when he's quiet do you walk back in the room praising him and let him out. Do this a few times a day so he doesn't anticipate that day crating is when you'll be gone for hours.
This!

When Tambo was a pup, he was being crated every night (I began sleeping next to the crate, and slowly moved out of the picture). That was not a problem. But I also knew that there would be times where I would have to crate him during the day. So I started practicing that as well.

Began things with little chunks at a time. Twenty minutes here; twenty minutes there. He had to get used to the idea that when it was crate time, it was crate time. And that could happen at any point throughout the day.

There were definitely some points when he would cry and cry and cry - and that was hard to ignore...I will admit! But once he stopped, I'd usually wait for a good few minutes of absolute silence, go back in, and let him out.

Sometimes a "crate session" during the day would only last twenty minutes. Other times I'd try for two hours or so. He had to learn to be flexible. I began with short periods of time, and slowly worked it up.

Crate training was really valuable though. Today, Tambo is 2.5 years old, and he still goes to be in his crate each night. But during the day, when I'm away at work I no longer have to crate him. He just sleeps all day anyway. He's very relaxed when I leave now, which is good - and I think some of that stems from the early crate training (just knowing that I'll come back eventually).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought I would give a bit of an update. We have gotten over the Crate training problem. Here is a picture of what thinks of his crate now:eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Haha - well done. How did you do it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I bassically made it a game for him, and fun. I sent my wife and daughter away for the weekend because his crying during the day was making them cry also (I wasnt a lot better lol). Then I started playing with him in the crate by hiding his toys under the bed, hiding treats also then I would close the door but I would stay with him. I would let him out after about 2 minutes play with him outside the crate then do it again. I did this about 3 or 4 times an hour. At one point I climbed into the crate as far as I could and he came in with me and we just layed there and cuddled. He actually fell asleep on my arm when I was doing this. That was day one. Day 2 I would do the same thing but would leave the house completely and stand beside the window where he could not see me but I could hear him. The first few time he whimpered and cried for a a few minutes and once he settled down I would come in let him out love him up and give him a treat. Did that 5 or 6 times and each time his crying became less and less. Then on day 3 I grabbed my book put him in his crate closed the door giving him a special treat said goodbye and see you later. I went outside again where he could not see me put up my lawn chair and read my book. To my surprise he let out one bark that almost sounded like he wanted to make sure I was gone then he fell asleep. I stayed out side for 4 hours then when I came in it was the love him up with big fanfare and that was it.

I guess he needed to know that even though he was in his crate he was stilled loved and cared for. Now when we eat or if he is tired he walks over to the crate climbs in and curls up. Yesterday was really funny because I guess one of us had accidentally closed the door on his crate and all of a sudden he started barking like something was really wrong so I went running over and he is standing there looking at his crate. I opened the door he climbed and sighed.
He is a real pleasure to be around and is as smart as whip so I think we are going to be in for a good life together.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
That's completely fantastic - well done for keeping at it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts