Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if anyone has ever seen this type of welt before, and what it might be caused from? I drove to another city rescue this girl in need. A Dane mix. At least I think shes a mix. I didn't know how bad off she was, till I got there. She was found by a homeless couple, saying she had been hit by a car.. They also said that her feet were cut up by glass. The guy wanted to "bash her head in" because her feet would not quit bleeding. So someone else took her in from him, keeping her for 2 weeks looking for the original owners. He tried to help her, but she still had not seen a vet. So I went to get her.
She has an appointment with the best vet in town. But she came to us Thursday night, making Friday trying to get an appointment, Making Monday is the soonest that she can get in. So we are getting through the weekend the best we can. Her feet hurt A LOT. She dances between them because they hurt to stand on, or even to be in sit position. This huge welt on her foot does not look like a glass cut. I never saw anything like this before. She has nicks and scares here and there on her.

I couldn't figure out how to put her pic on here. But I made an album with her name on it, Sasha. I have a pic of her foot there. Does anyone have any idea what causes this injury?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, think I got it...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Only a vet can probably tell you for certain... to me it looks like it could be severe "road rash" caused by the dog sliding across something (like the road, or contact with a spinning tire) in such a way that the skin was scraped off.

The 'sliding' could be enough to build up heat..which could result in a welt...as well as, like I mentioned, rubbing the skin off.

But that's just an off the wall guess. Hopefully your vet will recognize what did it and treat it. Hope the puppy heals up ok.

Also...kind of off topic here. But..Sasha...oh wow..
Back around 1977, I had a puppy, the results when my dog, a female poodle/'terrier mix ended up with a full blood Brittany spaniel after my sister came home drunk one night and left our front room door opened.

Some months later, my dog had 5 female puppies...and I kept one of them and decided to name the puppy Sasha. It was a pretty unusual name back in 1977...kind of Russian sounding...and back then, Russia was the dreaded enemy of the USA....so I thought it had a nice mysterious sound to it.

Anyway...try as I might... that willful stubborn puppy would Not come to me when I called her...even food bribes didn't interest her. One day in frustration, I yelled at her, "Hey You, Get Over Here!" I had used that tone of voice with her before with no results...but that time her ears came forward and she Ran towards me.

After a few experiments...with Sasha always failing and calling her Hey You getting her attention and her coming to me....she was renamed Hey You.
She named herself and everyone thought I was crazy for naming her that...it got laughs from people all the time.

Sorry for digressing so much...but that name sure brought back some fond memories of one of my past dogs. : )

Stormy

Reactions: cos

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
It kinda looks like road rash or self inflicted from licking (almost like a hot spot). Make sure to keep it clean till monday. Poor girl, give her a big hug from Tessa and I.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks both of you. This really does give me a little more insight on what is most likely going on here. Must have been from when she was hit. She licks it cause it hurts. She won't let me touch it, and because she's new to us, I don't push her very far with it.. I'm working on getting her trust up, and she's now coming to me for hugs starting today.. So I think I'm getting somewhere with her.

And I loved the Sasha story.. That's pretty funny, she wasn't going to pay attaintion till you got her name right that she chose herself, lol..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
StormyPeak,
I don't know where your beliefs lie, but I believe in past lives. That we continue our walk through as many lives as we need to. And sometimes pets can do that too..

You, (though it wouldn't be spelled that way) is a name in Chinese, I believe. It's possible, she may have had this name in a past life... And for some reason, some how, maybe she remembered that and answers to it, lol...
Of course I don't know this, just throwing this out there in the wind, lol..
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
@FOS,

I'm an atheist, so to me, your explanation sounds as good as any as to why she would come to Hey You and not Sasha. : )
And, while I don't believe in a god or gods, I also don't say I'm right in my belief, and that others are wrong - so, maybe indeed, Hey You had an old soul. : )

Also, 'You' as a name... I know that in Korea, Yoo (or sometimes spelled Yu) is a common family name...it probably at some point did originate from China as those two countries have deep ties as far as ancient invasions on both sides, treaties/being allies at some point...etc.

Hey You was probably the most 'odd' dog I ever owned. She was strong willed, never bonded with me totally but loved everyone in general. She had this total bluff going with food guarding - would stand over her food bowl and growl almost the whole time she ate. But anyone could reach down and take food from the bowl, or even a bone from her mouth and she would just step to the side, and not growl at that point, and wag her tail and showed no sign of being tense.

She never snapped at anyone....just growled a lot..and she had a scary growl. She rarely begged for food, but would steal it off your plate if you were not watching. (we often ate in the living room while watching sports or a movie).
I never could really train her...she wasn't dumb, just her own dog and in all the years I owned her I never did get her to walk on a leash properly, she only came when called when she wanted too...lol. She also got her self in to weird situations that none of my other dogs ever seemed to encounter. She once tried to jump a chain link fence and about unzipped herself when her chest caught on the top of the fencing and sliced her right down to mid belly. She got out another time and came back with a wide mouth plastic jug stuck over her head....and so on...and on and on...lol. Just weird things...not all of them injuries but weird.

It's been several decades since she's been gone and I still miss the the troublemaker.

Stormy

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Definitely see road rash. I'd just leave her feet alone and not touch them at all, work on building trust around that and not leave her with a negative idea of you. She may think that you're taking advantage of her injured state by trying to mess with her foot. Not to mention it looks awfully painful and I wouldn't want anyone poking at it!

I'm glad you got her though, it sounds like she had an awful rough past :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts