Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I trimmed Roscoe's nails while he was happily chewing away on one of his chew toys and he didn't even notice me trimming! :thumbsup: I don't know how easily I can replicate that scenario, but I certainly will try!

It was later in the evening and he was semi relaxed and completely focused on his chew toy. My only concern is that he doesn't always like that particular chew toy enough to be completely into it like he was last night, but it was a good start and made me feel so much better after cutting one nail too short last week! Also, he was laying on his blanket on the couch, so I was able to get down on the floor so I was in a better position to see those tiny, black nails.

Not hurting your baby makes a mama feel good. :dog-love:

Reactions: Kwenami and mhop

·
Registered
562 Posts
YAAAY! :happydance:

Were you using regular clippers or with the dremel? I figure the clippers, as it's a bit soon to have already conditioned for the motor noise... I'm getting the rest of my kit tomorrow, but am already re-re-re-introducing them to the dremel itself regularly.

Good for you! Maybe there's hope for me too. :D

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
YAAAY! :happydance:

Were you using regular clippers or with the dremel? I figure the clippers, as it's a bit soon to have already conditioned for the motor noise... I'm getting the rest of my kit tomorrow, but am already re-re-re-introducing them to the dremel itself regularly.

Good for you! Maybe there's hope for me too. :D
Hahaha, there's absolutely hope for you! :) I was using the regular clippers. I'm still working on just getting him comfortable with me handling his feet and the sound of the dremel. I turn the dremel on near him and let him see it, and I'll touch his feet with the bottom of it (I'm not sure if he can feel the vibration that way, but I'm trying to make this as easy as possible). He's doing very well with it. The sound doesn't phase him at all, he's just curious. I don't want to actually use the dremel on him until I can be sure he'll sit still while I'm trimming his nails because I'm scared of hurting him and also of the dremel catching his fur.

I have faith in both of us - slow and steady wins the race! :dog-bone:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now, that's funny that he loves it at the groomer's. They're so nutty sometimes. lol

Posted via mobile device.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I've got some good nail trimming progress to report! I hope @gngracie will permit my use of her thread, since it's been so encouraging so far! :D After my last post in this thread on 7/19, I finished out that week getting them used to the Dremel noise and treating them as they became more comfortable with it, as per the process described on Doberdawn's page about dremeling nails. I can't tell you how helpful this page has been!

I got a new Dremel 4000 with the flex attachment, some extra drum mandrels and a bag full of extra sanding bands. (I didn't get everything on Amazon, it's just easier to use Amazon links. I actually found the Dremel cheaper on ebay, so it's a good idea to shop around!) Anyway, I'm prepared for future needs with a good supply!

So, I started about a week and a half ago by conditioning everyone to the noise and treating them for coming close with some good bacon flavored treats, broken up into very small bits; like shredded cheese type size. Then last weekend I started treating when they let me touch the bit to the end of their nails and praising profusely. We did this each day, about an hour or so after supper, and each conditioning session lasted about 10 minutes or so with all three of my dogs. They would get up on the couch and I'd sit next to them in the recliner nearest that end of the couch.

For the last 4 or 5 days, I've had the Dremel running, and would treat right as I grasp their paws, and then touch the bit to a nail, praise, praise praise!; release the paw, treat again as I grasp again and touch to another nail, more praising, etc. Admittedly, I lost track a few times which nails were done or not, as I tried to grasp each paw. The last 2 or 3 days I've been able to grind down several millimeters of nail with Tiger and Spicey! :thumbsup: They still pull away, but not as much as they used to when I trimmed with the clippers! So we're still working on some semi-resisting, but overall it's gone VERY well! Except......

I messed up with my oldest, Kirby, early on in the conditioning, and now she takes off through the doggy door when the after supper festivities begin. I'm going to have to isolate her at some point and try and start over, which I'm not enthusiastic about. Where I messed up was when I tried to get her up on the couch... things were kind of chaotic with Tiger and Spicey wanting to say close because of the extra good smelling treats going on, and she kind of froze up. :( I know when I start over with her, I'm going to have to corral Tiger and Spicey aside for a bit, so things are nice and peaceful, and give it another go.

So there it is! I'm still very pleased with how everything's gone, and making this a daily event is probably a very good thing for everyone to get used to until I get their nails (at least the front ones, which are the most problematic) down to a manageable length, and then I can scale it back to once every few days or something.

Yay! :happydance:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got some good nail trimming progress to report! I hope @gngracie will permit my use of her thread, since it's been so encouraging so far! :D After my last post in this thread on 7/19, I finished out that week getting them used to the Dremel noise and treating them as they became more comfortable with it, as per the process described on Doberdawn's page about dremeling nails. I can't tell you how helpful this page has been!

I got a new Dremel 4000 with the flex attachment, some extra drum mandrels and a bag full of extra sanding bands. (I didn't get everything on Amazon, it's just easier to use Amazon links. I actually found the Dremel cheaper on ebay, so it's a good idea to shop around!) Anyway, I'm prepared for future needs with a good supply!

So, I started about a week and a half ago by conditioning everyone to the noise and treating them for coming close with some good bacon flavored treats, broken up into very small bits; like shredded cheese type size. Then last weekend I started treating when they let me touch the bit to the end of their nails and praising profusely. We did this each day, about an hour or so after supper, and each conditioning session lasted about 10 minutes or so with all three of my dogs. They would get up on the couch and I'd sit next to them in the recliner nearest that end of the couch.

For the last 4 or 5 days, I've had the Dremel running, and would treat right as I grasp their paws, and then touch the bit to a nail, praise, praise praise!; release the paw, treat again as I grasp again and touch to another nail, more praising, etc. Admittedly, I lost track a few times which nails were done or not, as I tried to grasp each paw. The last 2 or 3 days I've been able to grind down several millimeters of nail with Tiger and Spicey! :thumbsup: They still pull away, but not as much as they used to when I trimmed with the clippers! So we're still working on some semi-resisting, but overall it's gone VERY well! Except......

I messed up with my oldest, Kirby, early on in the conditioning, and now she takes off through the doggy door when the after supper festivities begin. I'm going to have to isolate her at some point and try and start over, which I'm not enthusiastic about. Where I messed up was when I tried to get her up on the couch... things were kind of chaotic with Tiger and Spicey wanting to say close because of the extra good smelling treats going on, and she kind of froze up. :( I know when I start over with her, I'm going to have to corral Tiger and Spicey aside for a bit, so things are nice and peaceful, and give it another go.

So there it is! I'm still very pleased with how everything's gone, and making this a daily event is probably a very good thing for everyone to get used to until I get their nails (at least the front ones, which are the most problematic) down to a manageable length, and then I can scale it back to once every few days or something.

Yay! :happydance:
Well done! That's wonderful progress!

It sure seems like we take one step forward two steps back, doesn't it? :headshake: For whatever reason, Roscoe is being less tolerant of me handling his feet again, so I'm back to just touching and handling (with my hands, the clippers, and the dremel) as frequently as possible, getting in the occasional clip/dremel. I've never been a very patient person, so I'm really working on staying patient, taking it as slowly as needed, and ending each session on a positive note.

Good luck with Kirby. I've decided that training dogs is much like getting into shape. Every victory is hard won with lots of blood, sweat, tears, and time, but every setback happens in a heartbeat and it always feels like we're back at square one! It's just not fair, but in the end it's so very worth it!

Reactions: mhop
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.