Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello new to this forum. I have an 8 & 1/2 month shorkie (Shitzu/Yorkshire terrier) called Bertie. He’s a great boy & I love him so much. The trouble I’m having is his food both breeds are said to be fussy eaters & Bertie really is! I’ve tried him on so many wet & dry foods but he’s never been food orientated. He sometimes even turns his nose up at treats! I’m feeding him Origen dry puppy food & he will eat some of it every day but nowhere near how much it says on the bag. I’ve also been supplementing his dry food with 2 small meals of chicken & green beans & broccoli & I occasionally give him a fussy eater vitamin paste. I know you’ll tell me not to feed the chicken but I’ve tried every wet food going & he won’t eat!!
it’s so stressful!! I often have to hand feed to get him to eat. I put dry food down in the morning & take it up at night if he hasn’t eaten it.
I know I’ve probably spoilt him but I suffer anxiety & if he doesn’t eat I get so stressed.
help needed!!
he weighs about 3.7kilos & we live in the U.K.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Firstly Hi and I love the name ... I have this name stored as one of my favourites... Loved the beagle in To the Manor born,,

Now, why would we say no chicken? Chicken is good lean meat. So take a breath no one is going to beat you up about this..
Especially not me. My boy Murphy was terrible, he ate dry food ok until he was a few months old and got giardia after that it seemed no matter what we tried he wouldnt eat it or it gave him the runs. We were at our wits end..
In the ned we switched to raw and since then he has never missed a meal and only had one bought of tummy problems afer he picked up a bug and hes 4 now...

So presumably you have talked to your vet about any possible physical problems? Bad teeth shouldnt be an issue at this age although teething can make them fussy.. The numbers on the bag are an average, not all dogs will eat that much and some will need more.

Dogs pick up on our feelings and if you are stressed he will know so try to chill a bit.. I know thats easier said than done but really its for his sake..
I always go by eye rather than by what books or bags of food say my dogs should look like.. If they are healthy and that does mean being able to feel the ribs I am happy..

Try to relax and remember a small meal of good food is far better than piles of rubbish food. Youre feeding quality dry so try not to worry to much ..and Im sure someone with more depth of knowledge on feeding will be along soon..

·
Super Moderator
1,878 Posts
Totally agree with everything @Mad Murphy said. And while some people will advocate the 'tough love' approach and lift what isn't eaten after 20 minutes, I personally would rather my dog enjoyed his food than just eat to survive.

A lot of companies will do samples, or have you considered a different texture like wet or semi moist such as Platinum?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for your reply I’m driving myself mad & as you say Bertie is definitely picking up on that!!
I took him to the vet a couple of months ago & he was given a clean bill of health.
he seems lively & bright just looks miserable when I try to give him food he doesn’t want!!
I do feel I’d rather give him chicken & veggies than some wet foods that I have no idea what is in them.
he’s my first dog & I just want to do what’s best for him xx

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Totally agree with everything @Mad Murphy said. And while some people will advocate the 'tough love' approach and lift what isn't eaten after 20 minutes, I personally would rather my dog enjoyed his food than just eat to survive.

A lot of companies will do samples, or have you considered a different texture like wet or semi moist such as Platinum?
Thanks for your message I’ve tried so many different wet foods & textures & he might eat it once then refuses after that! X

·
Super Moderator
1,878 Posts
Chicken and veg is good but long term might lack some of the vitamins and minerals that a whole dog food provides - there is nothing wrong with home cooked food but you might need to do a bit of research.

If you are concerned about the ingredients in wet food (there is a wide range, from very poor to very good) you could have a look at www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk

It is an independent dog food comparison website which scores all types of foods (dry, raw, wet) out of 100. You can set filters for your dog's breed, weight, age etc. and for your daily budget; then you can add in any specific needs you have such as aiming for weight loss or avoiding specific ingredients. The website will automatically show the foods listed in order of what the assessors believe is best quality, and it also will show daily feeding cost (calculated from your dog's age and weight) so you can see what gives you best value for money. It has its limitations but it's a decent place to start.

Or if you want us to give an opinion on any particular type, just ask.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chicken and veg is good but long term might lack some of the vitamins and minerals that a whole dog food provides - there is nothing wrong with home cooked food but you might need to do a bit of research.

If you are concerned about the ingredients in wet food (there is a wide range, from very poor to very good) you could have a look at www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk

It is an independent dog food comparison website which scores all types of foods (dry, raw, wet) out of 100. You can set filters for your dog's breed, weight, age etc. and for your daily budget; then you can add in any specific needs you have such as aiming for weight loss or avoiding specific ingredients. The website will automatically show the foods listed in order of what the assessors believe is best quality, and it also will show daily feeding cost (calculated from your dog's age and weight) so you can see what gives you best value for money. It has its limitations but it's a decent place to start.

Or if you want us to give an opinion on any particular type, just ask.
Thanks again. I think I may have to take him to the vet tomorrow because this morning he’s hasn’t even eaten his chicken & he didn’t really want it last night either & when I walked him this morning he had a normal poo then some yellow diarrhoea & I can hear his tummy grumbling. Talk about stress!!

·
Super Moderator
1,878 Posts
Do you have any live, natural yoghurt? A teaspoon of that might help soothe his gut bacteria.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you have any live, natural yoghurt? A teaspoon of that might help soothe his gut bacteria.
I’ve tried offering him plain yogurt & he won’t eat that either (& he normally loves it) he hasn’t gone to his bowl to drink either but he will drink water off my fingers. My partner is coming round later & he’s normally good at getting him to eat.
I’m worried though.

·
Super Moderator
1,878 Posts
To get him to drink, try adding some of the water from a can of tuna in spring water to his normal water - about 10% might do it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok never thought of that I’ll try it! X
I might see if he’ll eat a bit of tuna. I’ve offered him everything else! It’s seems he’s hungry because he perks up when I go to his food cupboard but he just sniffs it & walks away x

·
Super Moderator
1,878 Posts
If his tummy is empty, that can cause a bit of nausea, which in turn makes him reluctant to eat so it's a vicious circle. If he would eat anything it would likely help. Please let us know how he gets on.

To check in case he is dehydrated, gently lift the skin at the back of his neck. If it doesn't spring right back into position when you release it, he needs fluids.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If his tummy is empty, that can cause a bit of nausea, which in turn makes him reluctant to eat so it's a vicious circle. If he would eat anything it would likely help. Please let us know how he gets on.

To check in case he is dehydrated, gently lift the skin at the back of his neck. If it doesn't spring right back into position when you release it, he needs fluids.
I’ve managed to get him to eat a slice of ham & drink more water.
the only thing I think he’s eaten different from what he normally has is at doggie daycare on Friday he ate some of the other dog’s food which is beef based (I’ve tried to get him to eat it at home but he won’t 😩) so maybe that has given him a bad tummy x

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’ve managed to get him to eat a slice of ham & drink more water.
the only thing I think he’s eaten different from what he normally has is at doggie daycare on Friday he ate some of the other dog’s food which is beef based (I’ve tried to get him to eat it at home but he won’t 😩) so maybe that has given him a bad tummy x
He’s eaten a tiny bowl of cooked chicken & two slices of Cooked carrot!! & drank by himself from his bowl!! I really hope he’s starting to feel better 🙏🏼

1 - 15 of 15 Posts