Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

i have had my dog for 8 years. it's just been the two of us. we spend every waking hour together. i love him more than anything in this world. i was recently diagnosed with asthma and also tested positive for dog and cat allergies.
i live in a very, very small apartment (basically a big room) with my 8 year old border collie cross.
my GP (which surprises me considering he knows my dog has basically helped treat my depression, ptsd, etc.) AND allergist are both telling me i need to get rid of my dog. i cannot imagine living w/o him. i basically wouldn't be here if it wasn't for him. he is my company, my friend and my therapy. he's brought actual happiness into my life. this situation is a living nightmare for me.
i am on disability, with about 200 dollars a month to live on after rent, hydro, dog food, my food. so i cannot afford hepa this or hepa that. i cannot afford to pay someone to wash/brush my dog on a weekly basis. i cannot afford a bigger apartment so that i am not literally sleeping next to my dog.
the thought of re-homing him makes me burst out in tears. i cannot do it.
does anyone have any suggestions?
please & thank you .

·
Registered
95 Posts
I hope these tips will help you, these certainly helped me, but everyone is different:

- Vacuum daily
- No dogs in my bed(room)
- No carpets/stuffed animals (things that hold dog hairs easily)
- I have an Air filter, which was the biggest help for me!! They are expensive, but worth it

I truly hope you can keep your fur friend! Good luck! Keep us posted!!

Love x

·
Registered
495 Posts
In addition to vacuuming daily, get a bagged vacuum with a HEPA filter if you can. Bagless vacuums let out a lot of dust when you clean the canister, even if you're very careful.

I missed if the other poster mentioned this, but air purifiers with HEPA filters can also be a big help.

And, as has already been said, no pets in the bedroom. Also keep them off furniture, too. That way you keep their dander from getting as thick on things that are difficult to clean. Also make sure the pet beds you have are easy to clean and clean them very often. Giving them a run with the vacuum when you do your daily vacuuming would probably be the best bet.

Edit: Saw your mention of income. That will make getting an air purifier or anything difficult, but even just saving $20 a month towards a good HEPA purifier will make a significant difference. Bagged vacuums might be out, but I'll do some research.

Other than that, regular vacuuming, off the furniture, and out of the bed will be your best bets. <3

·
Registered
495 Posts
Aha! A bagged for $50.

Dirt Devil UD30010 Featherlite Bagged Upright https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BEZV7FW/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_TK1ixbMZYW126

I had this vac for a long time, and it was actually a lot better than some of the more expensive vacs I had. I only stopped having it because at the time I wanted to get a bagless vac. Worst decision I ever made. That and the reviews are really encouraging. Plus you can get a 10 pack of bags for $10.

Now I will check out air filters. Are you in a studio apartment?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Not sure how the health system works where you are, but is getting allergy shots an option? Your allergist can prescribe it and you would get a shot once a week for...I can't remember exactly how many months it was, maybe 6 months...then you would only need a maintenance shot once a month afterwards. I give myself allergy shots once a week for environmental allergies this time of year and give myself a cat allergy shot once a month. Works great.

·
Registered
324 Posts
My husband is an allergist and says start shots ASAP. Will take at least a year to notice a difference but will likely be life changing for you asthma and allergies. Also if possible, get rid of carpeting and vacuum as often as possible.

·
Registered
92 Posts
When I was dealing with allergies (I think it was some sort of mold allergy, can't remember) the one thing that helped me the most was keeping the rooms ventilated, open multiple windows, the doors and leave it like that for a while. Some Air purifiers tend to make the air more polluted in the form of ozone, so be careful with that.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Is it possible to get a second opinion? It sounds to me as if your current doctors don't quite understand what your dog means to you, both personally and in terms of your overall health. As others have suggested, there may be solutions other than getting rid of the dog that might work, including allergy shots. I know someone with asthma and allergies who has gotten the shots and successfully lived with multiple dogs. Her quarters aren't quite so close as yours, but I do know that the dogs have sat in her lap, slept in her beds etc. without negative consequences for her.

Also, I've never used them myself, but aren't there dry bath products for dogs that are supposed to help cut down on dander?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Since you live in a relatively small environment, check into recirculating air filters, that you could leave running to help constantly filter the air. There are portable air filtration systems that in a single room, could be very helpful.

·
Registered
911 Posts
The saliva is often a trigger to allergies, maybe try wiping your dog down and around him mouth. I don't have any allergies so I have no other thoughts that may help that haven't already been said. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I've got asthma as well as allergies.. we've got dog-free rooms in our house and cleaning a lot helps.
having easily cleanable floors (no carpets) and no not too much fabrics that can hold hairs, pollen or dust helps too.

It depends on the animal too.
i can work relatively okay with a lot of dogs (I seem to react more on some individuals than on other...unrelated to the breed), but when there had been a cat in the house, I'll be wheezing like crazy and look like a tomato crossed with a dumpling after a few minutes.
if you think you can work with it, no one will force you to give away your dog...you're an adult after all. you can make your own decisions.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I've heard that people tend to be less allergic to raw fed dogs, but I have no experience with this. I do have some experience with raw fed cats though. My BF's father is allergic to cats, but my raw fed cats give him very little problems. And now, after many years he has no reaction. His brother is also highly allergic, but has a mild problem around my cats.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.