Dog Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 13 yr old rat terrier/ chihuahua has had a skin tag at the base of her neck for years. Last night she yipped loudly while jumping on the bed. This morning a long hard black thing was stuck to her fur. I cut it off of her fur and the skin tag looks as if it erupted (?) does it look like cancer?
Plant Petal Close-up Liver Fashion accessory

Hand Vertebrate Mammal Finger Felidae
Petal Plant Tints and shades Terrestrial plant Fashion accessory
Plant Petal Close-up Liver Fashion accessory

·
Super Moderator
6,537 Posts
It really isn't possible to say, but I'm glad you have an appointment for a proper diagnosis. Fingers crossed it's nothing serious, please let us know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It really isn't possible to say, but I'm glad you have an appointment for a proper diagnosis. Fingers crossed it's nothing serious, please let us know.
I will post an update. In the meantime, hopefully someone has seen something similar…(?)

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I will post an update. In the meantime, hopefully someone has seen something similar…(?)
Even if we have, we cannot advise you on your situation because it's impossible to tell if it is remotely the same thing or not. Best just to wait for answers until you can be with your vet. And I second encouraging you to post updates.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Even if we have, we cannot advise you on your situation because it's impossible to tell if it is remotely the same thing or not. Best just to wait for answers until you can be with your vet. And I second encouraging you to post updates.
Obviously. 😉 that’s just common sense. But I’m wondering if anyone has had a dog with anything similar… and yes: I will update

·
Registered
953 Posts
Glad you have made a vet appointment. As dogs age certain breeds tend to get warts, cysts and skin tags. As long as your vet is not concerned just monitor the size and shape. Unless they are licking or chewing them most of them are benign. Squeak my Maltese has lots of little warts and cysts. When she had a dental cleaning done, I had the larger ones removed. One was close to her eye, and I was concerned that if it increased in size that it would cause her issues. Otherwise, I just monitor what she presently has.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
My elder dog has many warts. At first I cut them off but now there are so many that it's impossible to do that. I asked my vet about them. Her response was basically this: Warts on elder dogs are not uncommon. If they were malignant they would have killed him by now, and such things are benign the vast majority of the time. Supposing we were to test one of them and it did turn out to be malignant? What would we do then?
And she has a good point. I would do nothing. I am not going to make my wonderful little dog go through chemo or radiation anything like that and make him sick just to lengthen his life for my sake. He cannot have surgery because he has a heart condition. Even if I knew the warts were going to kill him I would rather if he just enjoyed the rest of his life, even if it were shorter.

Of course, that's my dog, and he has seen a vet and I know they are warts. In your case, Radio.panda, you won't know if that is what this is or not until the vet tells you. I am telling you this, though, in case it is a wart and more develop in the future, just to say you don't need to panic if that happens. In my understanding, warts are common and are very unlikely to be dangerous. Of course, if they started changing or growing larger that could be a sign of something very bad.

I wish you and your dog the very best and a long life together.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Our thirteen year old has many warts, She started growing them when she was about ten, and our Vet, also has said not uncommon in older dogs. Vet does not want to intervene as long as they are not causing problems, bleeding or??? They don't seem to bother her at all, so we just leave them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts