Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all :)
My family has decided to get a havanese puppy from a breeder! yay! The only thing that we've found wrong with the havanese breed is the con of it being more prone to separation anxiety. There's no one in the house between 8 and 2 and we were wondering if that was too many hours and if we should hire a dog walker.

·
Super Moderator
1,819 Posts
I don't know if they are more prone than other breeds but yes, a dog walker would be a good idea anyway, for toileting and to break up the day (but for puppies in toilet training, visits outside need to be more frequent, ideally every 45 minutes). However, unless they are there the whole time, it won't help if the dog has SA - that can start immediately someone leaves.

Prevention is better than cure. When you get the dog, if it is a puppy, it's ok to let him follow you for the first few days as he has just been separated from mum and littermates but then very gradually start to build his independence. You can start with the flirting game which is described about 2/3 of the way down this link

Blog | thecanineconsultants

The key with preventing SA is never to let the puppy get distressed. So you step out of the house, ideally when the dog is settled and not actively engaged with you (to make you leaving less of a contrast) and then back in before he gets distressed. Ideally the reaction you are looking for is "oh, you're back, I didn't notice you were gone". Gradually build up time from there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts