Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. First post here, but at this moment I am desperate. I believe the issue I will share falls under health category.

My puppy Spike absolutely despises dry food or kibble. Ever since he was a few months old, my parents destroyed his regime with human food. Ive had numerous confrontations with them about his eating discipline, but to no result whatsoever. They kept giving him human food, because he wouldnt eat his. I was forced to move out and the problem I am experiencing comes from Spike's eating.

I am not giving him anything besides top grade kibble. He hates it, but when he gets hungry he eats it. Problem is, sometimes he goes days without eating, and his stomach gets upset and in the mornings he pukes bile. Took him to the vet several times, only for them to tell me that his stomach is messed up from not eating.
What should I do ? He has a schedule and eats 3 times per day. Bowl of food is laid for 15 minutes, if he eats good, if not I take it away until his next feeding. I am starting to
worry for him not to develop some stomach issue.

Any advice will be good. Thank you in advance.
Picture of Spike is attached for reference. 馃槄

Registered
Have you tried different foods of different brand and taste? Some dogs are more picky and you need to try out quite a few different foods to find what they will eat. It鈥檚 great how you let him have the food for 15 minutes and then take it away, so keep doing that but maybe try out different foods.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I completely forgot to mention. I have tried several brands of food, but nothing. I have tried with wet food mixed with the kibble. The clever dog that he is, he eats the wet food and leaves the kibble 馃ぃ

Registered
It might work to add a bit of mashed pumpkin or an egg or sardines to the dried food to see if the stronger smell encourages him to eat it. My dog LOVES sardines and you can mix the water from the tin through the dry food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Oooh, just be careful of pumpkin - a small amount is good to sort out diarrhoea, a generous amount helps if a dog is constipated, but if your dog is neither of those you could cause one or the other!

A few more ideas - letting the food soak in warm water for a few minutes helps release the aromas. Or you could get a smooth consistency wet food that completely coats it so he can't pick out the wet bits. Or even feed just wet - there are good quality wet foods.

I do understand the tough love approach but I prefer to see a dog enjoy his food rather than just eat to survive

Registered
Another good thing to try is to use the food in training or making them work for their food. Some picky dogs will start eating if they have to work for the food. Try to spread out a meal of kibbles in the grass and encourage him to search for it. Or use it as treats when training him. If nothing works you maybe should look into other foods than kibble, like raw feeding etc.

Registered
Try pouring some broth, either chicken or beef, over his kibble. ours loves anything, once the broth is applied.

Registered
Totally hear you! Once a dog gets the taste of human food it is very difficult to get them to go back. Mine can be picky to the point of total refusal too - I found if I blended in small pieces of chicken (small enough to make it difficult to pick through) along with the broth/grease that the chicken made when it was cooked, that solved the issue.

Registered
Oooh, just be careful of pumpkin - a small amount is good to sort out diarrhoea, a generous amount helps if a dog is constipated, but if your dog is neither of those you could cause one or the other!

A few more ideas - letting the food soak in warm water for a few minutes helps release the aromas. Or you could get a smooth consistency wet food that completely coats it so he can't pick out the wet bits. Or even feed just wet - there are good quality wet foods.

I do understand the tough love approach but I prefer to see a dog enjoy his food rather than just eat to survive
I don鈥檛 know that about pumpkin. I鈥檒l watch to see how my dog responds; haven鈥檛 noticed any changes until now but I only give it to her occasionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Human food can be so addicting! But there's actually something you can easily add to your dog's food. It's a wellness protocol specifically formulated for dogs based on the Budwig protocol. It has so many health benefits, but the point is that dogs love it. There's a company that even sells a peanut butter variety so if your dog doesn't like the original, he is sure to like the peanut butter one. You can just add it to his kibble and because it is a custard like food it'll be difficult for him to eat around the kibble. So you get the health benefits and your dog gets to eat his food, it's a win win! I would look it up and try it. Hope your dog adjusts to his food sooner rather than later.

Registered
I鈥檓 not sure why people insist on feeding their dogs food that the dogs hate. There are things I won鈥檛 eat no matter what you do to them and one of them is brussels sprouts. I make all of my dogs food from real meat and vegetables and some brown rice. It doesn鈥檛 take that long to make it in quantity and freeze it in small packages. Dogs are carnivores they weren鈥檛 meant to eat kibble.
If you don鈥檛 want to go through the trouble of making your dog something he will love and eat, then enhance his kibble with chopped meat, canned mackerel, sardines, maybe some leftovers from your own dinner, and definitely broth of any kind. Be good to your dog he鈥檚 part of your family.

Registered
you might consider a raw diet for your dog supervised by your vet if this dog is this picky. on another hand you may blend the kibble up and syringe feed or gently coax him with a little kibble in the syringe. sometimes if they get a taste they go oh that's not so bad. anorexia is a main concern and big issue during this time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts