Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without getting into pesticide versus natural control (please), what are your thoughts or experiences about the current trend where more and more vets are strongly insisting on Vectra 3D pest control for their clients? Many of them actively steer people specifically from Frontline and may even now refuse to carry Frontline. Their main claims are:

• Fleas/ticks have become resistant to Fipronil (Frontline ingredient), and so it is now ineffective for pest control.
  • They back this up with stories of patients having bad results with Frontline and good results with Vectra.
  • Vectra is a newer pesticide and therefore better.
Most everyone wants to trust their vet, but some are questioning the professional loyalty to Vectra as being better for the dog or for the vet. They bring up among other things:

• Vectra is known to be more profitable for vets to sell.
  • Vets have absolute exclusivity. The makers of Vectra sell only to vet clinics, whereas Frontline is now available in many stores, usually for less and not requiring a visit to the clinic.
  • Vectra has a very active and successful sales force who work hard to change the vets' mind to their product.
  • Many cases of poor results with Vectra, even adverse reactions, can be found among dog owners and on the 'net, yet many vets are reluctant to acknowledge this - some even get defensive about it.
  • They don't offer unbias studies or good reasoning to prove their allegation that Frontline effectiveness has dropped.
  • Vets refuse to admit some perception of Vectra's success with clients changing to it can be due to the owner's sudden increase of compliancy in using a pest control correctly.
  • Vets are suspiciously zealous about selling the product unlike anything else in the past - some even proactively mail out brochures in attempts to switch their clients and sell the product.
What do you think?

Thanks for your discussion.
Eljay

·
Registered
28 Posts
My Vets always suggested Frontline until my dog developed a hot spot reaction at the application site. Due to the tick issue and Lyme issue where I live we switched to Vectra and I have had no problems.

We were concerned at first that it might be the vehicle and not the active ingredient that caused my dog's reaction.. but she has had no issues with the Vectra and no ticks or fleas.

One big difference between the two is that Vectra is a repellant as well as a killer.

I have had her on Vectra for 2.5 years now. I bathe her and dry her with a hair dryer one day and the next morning, before I go to work, I put the Vectra on and crate her. This keeps it on her and away from the cats (it is highly toxic to cats) until it is dry.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use Vectra for my two cats and any of my grandmother's cats I can catch. My dogs are on Comfortis. I like it for cats- don't use it on my dogs (as mentioned in the sentence before). My vet actually carries several brands of flea/tick prevention. Although they recommend Comfortis for dogs if you don't have a tic problem and Vectra for cats. You can still get Frontline and Revolution there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Without getting into pesticide versus natural control (please), what are your thoughts or experiences about the current trend where more and more vets are strongly insisting on Vectra 3D pest control for their clients? Many of them actively steer people specifically from Frontline and may even now refuse to carry Frontline. Their main claims are:

• Fleas/ticks have become resistant to Fipronil (Frontline ingredient), and so it is now ineffective for pest control.
  • They back this up with stories of patients having bad results with Frontline and good results with Vectra.
  • Vectra is a newer pesticide and therefore better.
Most everyone wants to trust their vet, but some are questioning the professional loyalty to Vectra as being better for the dog or for the vet. They bring up among other things:

• Vectra is known to be more profitable for vets to sell.
  • Vets have absolute exclusivity. The makers of Vectra sell only to vet clinics, whereas Frontline is now available in many stores, usually for less and not requiring a visit to the clinic.
  • Vectra has a very active and successful sales force who work hard to change the vets' mind to their product.
  • Many cases of poor results with Vectra, even adverse reactions, can be found among dog owners and on the 'net, yet many vets are reluctant to acknowledge this - some even get defensive about it.
  • They don't offer unbias studies or good reasoning to prove their allegation that Frontline effectiveness has dropped.
  • Vets refuse to admit some perception of Vectra's success with clients changing to it can be due to the owner's sudden increase of compliancy in using a pest control correctly.
  • Vets are suspiciously zealous about selling the product unlike anything else in the past - some even proactively mail out brochures in attempts to switch their clients and sell the product.
What do you think?

Thanks for your discussion.
Eljay
About two years ago, my vet said they were trying it out and wanted us to try it and let them know how we thought it compared to Frontline. We tried it, it sucked, and by the time I went back they had already figured that out and stopped carrying it.

·
Super Moderator
11,910 Posts
I honestly don't know much about vectra.
My vets don't carry it at all. They sell frontline plus and advantix.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We tried it, it sucked, and by the time I went back they had already figured that out and stopped carrying it.
Interesting. Thanks. I'd like to know if your vet got a lot of bad reports back and how the product failed. Some vets have opted not to carry Vectra if not for other reasons just due to the contractual obligations the company requires from the clinic. I wonder if your vet ran into that as well?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I never heard of Vectra until I signed up for this site. My dogs use Advantix. We might switch to Comfortis at the beginning of the year though. Natural remedies don't work for us.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have used Vectra before but we dont carry it at work or the frontline. We only carry Comfortis and Promeris. We carried he Vectra for a while because Promeris was on backorder. It worked well for the 3 months we used it. Both of my dogs are on Comfortis though and I love it. I have also used the Promeris on ouside dogs that would be arround ticks and it seemed to work well also. I have never used Frontline.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
What are you using, then? I was about to order Frontline.. Just curiosity.
Thanks

I don't use anything actually, haven't for about three years now, give or take...I don't live in an area where the dogs pick up anything. The last thing I did use was frontline SPRAY which did work fine, just not for the full month...more like a week and a half...

Thanks. Did you contact your vet about your concern and what did the vet have to say or recommend?
no, its was not really a concern, just an observation. We use frontline on reptiles as a mite /tick treatment for customers per our vets recommendation (other shops in the area have infested reptile collections)...the first two years we used it, it was 100% effective...now it takes several applications and even then its not 100% effective. The bugs adapted.

Iam in a desert, not alot of parasites for dogs here.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts