Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has your dog ever gotten stuck in the mud? If so, what did he or she do to get free? Be as detailed as possible like did your dog try pulling it's paws out, how it got stuck there in the first place, how thick or sticky the mud was, stuff like that :p :) if you have a story to tell about it please do :)

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
My dog likes puddles, but he's never been stuck in mud.

·
Registered
298 Posts
This is a bit of a odd question.. Chester has not gotten stuck in mud puddles but he has gotten stuck in a hole in the ground.

It happened this summer while I was working at a fishing lodge. I was spending some time with Chester on my break and there was some rocks piled over with moss. So there was holes here and there and Chester was going in and out of a few. I figured that he would be fine and I did not expect him to get stuck. One second he was there, and then the next he was no where to be seen. I started calling him and no chester came running back to me. I started to panic and started searching the place and calling him as I went. Soon I noticed that whenever I stood over the moss covered rocks I heard whining. Frantically I start searching the rocks and sure enough, Chester was in one of the holes unable to get out. He was a foot below the ground. Chester was extremely stressed and so was I. After trying for a few minutes to get him out I found I was unable. So my coworker who I was with ran and got a guy coworker. Once he came he spent 10 minutes getting Chester out of the whole. Chester was just fine after and only had a small cut right below his nose. We were all worried that he might have a broken bone because of how stressed Chester was. But thankfully he was fine. I thanked my coworker profusely for rescuing Chester. During that time some of my other coworkers had gathered around and had found the whole thing funny.

Now I look back on it and find it a bit funny but it also scared me to death.

Here is the picture of his little battle wound. Sorry for the quality.

I know, not a mud puddle story but he sure was stuck.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
My terrier Delilah once jumped into a dry pond thinking it was solid ground and got a surprise when she sunk in! She kind of swum around in it and made her way to the rock she jumped off of and I had to pull her out. She seemed so embarrassed!

I agree with @Jeru, this is an odd question! @wolfpackalpha- do(es) your dog(s) get stuck a lot?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Never had a dog get stuck in the mud, but I've lost a few in deep snow...to the point where I started to panic...wondering if they were ever going to come to the surface again. Thankfully, they all found a way to the surface again, looking playful and happy, and usually about 4 to 6 feet from where they sank into the stuff.

Stormy

Reactions: CobbersMom

·
Registered
641 Posts
I've never had a dog stuck in the mud, but I've had one sink into a big, soft snowdrift. Fortunately he managed to pull himself out of the hole and onto some harder, drifted snow on his own and hustle back to the backdoor before I had to pull on boots and go out and get him.

My current dog also managed to get a plastic clothes hanger stuck around his shoulders (and no, I don't know how--he just strolled into the living room wearing it, totally unconcerned). Fortunately, I managed to get it off him without having to take him into the vet's to have it cut off him, since I never would have heard the end of it if I had. Not that they'd have been overly critical--they just would have made a lot of bad jokes about it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My terrier Delilah once jumped into a dry pond thinking it was solid ground and got a surprise when she sunk in! She kind of swum around in it and made her way to the rock she jumped off of and I had to pull her out. She seemed so embarrassed!

I agree with @Jeru, this is an odd question! @wolfpackalpha- do(es) your dog(s) get stuck a lot?

Did she struggle in the mud?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
hä?
I don'T think we even have enough mud around for such a big dog to get stuck in.
He likes to wallow in mud puddle though.
i try to prevent it because it annoying to first clean the dog then clean the way from the door to the bathroom and the bathroom itself.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
This is the strangest thread ever.

Reactions: CobbersMom

·
Registered
86 Posts
Never had a dog stuck in mud but I did have five dogs stuck in quick sand!

I was walking seven dogs in woodland where much had been excavated for gravel. There was a lot of flint. I was newish to the area and had walked in a different part of this ground.
The dogs had had a good free run and I had them all off leash walking with me. I wasn't sure how far I was away from the road until I met a order and when she told me it was a good mile ahead I let the dogs go to run free. They raced across the hard track and started to go across a sandy patch.

My Border Collie was in the lead and I could only watch as she started to sink. The Lab, a youngster wasn't far behind, the terriers further back.

They were all floundering, I managed to reach a couple of the terriers and pull them out. The Lab floundered her way back to where I could reach her neck, I was lying flat half on solid and half on the edge of the sand.

My BC, then about eleven, having a longish coat, was really stuck and having trouble. I had to get really cross with her telling her to "Come here NOW!" and she managed to get within range of the leashes linked together and had the sense to grab the rope so I was able to haul her out. I had to use both hands and all my weight to get her a few feet to where I could grab her neck and haul.

She just lay on the ground exhausted for several minutes.

I walked then back down the track to where there was a pond and had them all go swimming to clean them off.

I was wiping sand out the collies eyes for days. They were all fine but I never walked that way again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts