Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Siberian Husky, who I love very much. However, as huskies tend to be, she's a reallllllll shedder. Our house is perpetually covered in fur, and I end up vacuuming every single day to keep it clean.

I wonder if anyone has tried a Roomba for their dog's hair? I recognize that nothing is going to replace a full vacuuming, but perhaps getting the loose stuff day-to-day would create less work?

I've also found a cheaper version that seems to be getting really good reviews, the Anker Robovac.

Again, I've never tried either, and want to know what others have experienced.

(FYI, I've seen the hilarious Facebook post about the guy who came home and found his dog's poop smeared all over by a Roomba. Shy of that, what do we think?)

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Two of my dogs are lab mixes so they shed quite a bit. I started brushing them almost daily outside with a shedding blade brush and the amount of hair in the house has substantially decreased and they LOVE brushing time.
The Roomba idea has just never caught on with the people I know, maybe because of occasional clogs, emptying canisters, etc. that require human intervention. I definitely do not love vacuuming, but with my small home it doesn't take that much time.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
We had one growing up, it worked fine, but you have to pick up all the toys, and anything that could get caught/is too big for the brush/canister. Plus, my poor herding dogs would lose their minds with that thing moving around independently. :p

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have never tried one, and I don't know how well it works for hairs. However, I have seen quite some videos on the internet where pets and a roomba go terribly wrong. If your dog has an accident, or throws up, the Roomba can smear that all over the place. Not so happy times. So if you get one, I suggest turning it on in rooms where your dogs can't be! And then when you are home you can turn them on in the rooms that your dog can roam. That way you won't come home after a long day at work to see your floor smeared with poop.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Roomba or the Neato are great investments. I have three running everyday and it really helps. (A lot of guests don't even realize that I have a pet since there's no hair!) I mainly purchased them for the sake of my baby's allergies though- which has done wonders too.

I still vacuum everyday but, it's not as laborious since the robot vacs do most of the "grunt work".

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yeah, I have one too. It actually works pretty well.i think it's only gotten stuck a couple times. The fringe on the bed cover got it once and it got tangled up,in computer cords once. This stuff is out of the way now. I do vac occasionally but Roomba does most of the work. It's logic is beyond me.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I just got a Dyson Cordless. If you are looking for something for quick daily pickups, this machine is amazing. It seriously changed my life! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
They definitely work. But they need a regular cleaning schedule. And if the dog hairs are longer, they might get stuck in the motor of the swiping module on the roomba. I prefer using a high powered vacuum cleaner when i clean dog hair, but roombas still work just fine. :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
We don't have one, but I grew up with huskies and malamutes so I know the pain! You know what I suggest more than an expensive vacuum? A furminator used 1-3 times a week. Btw my vacuum is a Kirby and I couldn't live without it, but that's because of the parrots not the dog :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have three, well, actually only one is a Roomba and the other two are by different makers. The Roomba is the one I like the least so do some research and homework before you purchase. In this case, you pretty much get what you pay for. I have mine on a timer to go off when I'm not home (three levels of the house) and two of them always get stuck on a door jam or rug, etc. And yes, once I came home to find one of the dogs had had diarrhea while I was gone and it got smeared by the cleaner. :(

I think for your situation you will find it helps a lot, but like said, you have to make sure everything is picked up (dog toys) and tuck under rug fringes, throw rugs, etc.
Sue

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have three, well, actually only one is a Roomba and the other two are by different makers. The Roomba is the one I like the least so do some research and homework before you purchase. In this case, you pretty much get what you pay for. I have mine on a timer to go off when I'm not home (three levels of the house) and two of them always get stuck on a door jam or rug, etc. And yes, once I came home to find one of the dogs had had diarrhea while I was gone and it got smeared by the cleaner. :(

I think for your situation you will find it helps a lot, but like said, you have to make sure everything is picked up (dog toys) and tuck under rug fringes, throw rugs, etc.
Sue

Which do you find to be the BEST?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
The one that wins (in my opinion) is my Iclebo Arte. Crosses over door jams, has all kinds of features and options, long battery life, takes itself back to it's charging station when it's getting low (the others try but hardly ever make it or hardly ever find their base), cleans well, EASY to take apart and clean.
Sue

1 - 14 of 14 Posts