Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week from Saturday ago, our dog got conjunctivitis, and we took him to the vet. We did the eye drops like they told us for a week and when we stopped, he started having vision problems. He had moderate cataracts but he could still see. This weekend he lost the ability to see close in. I took the day off of work to get him back to the vets on Monday. They said it was the cataracts, and they could refer us to an opthalmolgist.

I did some research and found eye infections, and medications can exacerbate cataracts, and I do trust my vet, so I have a few questions.

Has anyone heard of carnosine eye drops or NACs and have you had success and if not, how did the cataract surgery work for your dog?

He seems really depressed, because he can't do what he used to. Are there any solutions for this?

Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Personally, I would not mess with carnosine eye drops unless your vet prescribes them. I would spend the money on the veterinary ophthalmologist instead.

You didn't mention how old your dog was, but cataracts are often part of aging. Dogs can adapt to reduced vision fairly well. I had a dog that had chronic dry eye most of her life and lost the eye at age 14, but she still got around fine with only one eye. She never could see well out of her bad eye anyway.

The eyes are so delicate I wouldn't attempt to do anything without the help of a veterinary professional.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts