Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my fiance told me the round white circle seen on my dog's belly has been there as long as he can remember (my dog is 9 years old) but he has long hair and it is usually covered.. but today he noticed that it was a bit larger than it used to be and it worries me a bit. I can't seem to find any images or references to this kind of thing online so I thought I'd ask here! It feels flat and soft to the touch with a little raise on the edge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, that's a Tick and has to be removed as some carry the Lyme disease. If I recall you need to remove it gently counter clock wise, once remove make sure to kill it I have used a lighter to kill it in the past.
Does your dog every go in long grass like farm area or anywhere were wildlife would live?
I know as my dog got Lyme disease from our farm in Canada.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Yes, that's a Tick and has to be removed as some carry the Lyme disease. If I recall you need to remove it gently counter clock wise, once remove make sure to kill it I have used a lighter to kill it in the past.
Does your dog every go in long grass like farm area or anywhere were wildlife would live?
I assume you refer to the black spot, to me it looks like the dogs nipple or just some random wart/spot, not a tick.

As for the white spot, which I think OP is referring to, I don’t really know what it could be, but maybe a little scar?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The black spot is normal for sure but the white looks like a Tick and will grow over time as the Tick is drawing blood from your dog.
Try to twist it off counter clock wise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He does sometimes go in long grass and has had a few ticks before we have had to remove but the white bump is like a smooth surface, but has a different feel than his skin around it almost like a white mole.. my fiance says it's been there for years but it's only recently it looks a bit bigger

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I assume you refer to the black spot, to me it looks like the dogs nipple or just some random wart/spot, not a tick.

As for the white spot, which I think OP is referring to, I don’t really know what it could be, but maybe a little scar?
I think the black spots are like birth marks, he's had them since he was a puppy! I was thinking it was a scar previously but since it's gotten a bit bigger recently since my fiance says he noticed it years ago I'm not sure anymore :/

·
Registered
585 Posts
The black spot is normal for sure but the white looks like a Tick and will grow over time as the Tick is drawing blood from your dog.
Try to twist it off counter clock wise.
Then I really don’t understand what you think looks like a tick. What does your ticks look like in canada?

·
Registered
585 Posts
I always thought ticks were a reddish-brown so for it doesn't look like a tick...
I think it can depend on the type of ticks but those I’m used to are black or black/red when they’re small then they get more red/brown as they grow from the blood they suck and when they get really big they’re the color of blue/grey/silver.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts