Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that Amazon is a place where a lot of people go to self publish, so I think they make it a lot easier now days. It seems like dog training books are out there in good number and in the past few years, real and fiction stories have sold well, such as Marley and Me, and The Purpose of a Dog.

With all the folks on this site who know so much about dogs, I was kind of wondering about it.

I love to write things down in forums, posts about my pets, just like most people do. I have taken a couple of writing courses in a distant past...just summer time for fun night time courses held by a couple of writers who came into this town on a grant to hold such classes. I've been told by them and by a few other people in my life that I should write a book. I never thought I was clever enough for that, and had no subject matter I felt comfortable enough writing about.

But, lately, I have been thinking about writing a book about HaHa. He was unique, and on a personal level, he healed me in some ways. I've suffered from depression most of my life. Laughter has a way of producing chemicals in one's brain that help fight off depression. So for 2 years, laughing every single day, and often a dozen times a day at that dog, really put me into a place, mentally and emotionally, that I never experienced before.

I thought I could use my stories about him for the humor part and also how he helped Jaya so much too. Plus his own story of going from a starved 2 year old dog to being able to eat and gain weight and be healthy for at least a short amount of time is one I think most people would like.

No one likes a sad ending, but even sad endings can be made into something good....a better to have experienced all of it than never have done so... kind of thing.

A title I've been kicking around is: "HaHa, You Made Me Laugh"
But I'm not sure if that would need a sub-title to let people know it's a dog story :p

Anyway, my spelling sucks, as do my sentence structures...lol...I think that would be the hardest part in writing anything. I have someone I know who could probably edit and help out with that, she's a very good friend and a school teacher.

If anyone here has written for journals, or a book...any tips on what they think is the most important thing to do would be helpful...especially if they self published through Amazon. I guess Amazon gets a hefty part of any download/sell.

I've read somewhere that large book publishers won't even look at material sent to them out of the blue. But they do watch Amazon and see if something is selling and will contact writers. It's probably a one in a few million shot though. :p

Any thoughts/comments on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Stormy

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Ive never written anything big like that so i dont have any tips. But i think it would be awsome if you wrote a book especially about Haha. Your already a good story teller fom what i read from your posts so i think it will translate well into a book. If you ever wrote something like i would be interested in reading it.
I also like the title, i dont think you would need a subtile, instead maybe restructure it like Haha: the dog that made me laugh.
Anyways if you do decide to write something, good luck :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Years back when I had writing aspirations, The Writers and Artists Year Book was the media bible you absolutely had to have. It's a UK publication however so don't know how relevant it is though I note it is on amazon.com
https://www.amazon.com/Writers-Artists-Yearbook-2017/dp/1472927656/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500657997&sr=8-1&keywords=writers+and+artists+yearbook

https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Writers_Artists_Yearbook_2018.html?id=AnolDwAAQBAJ&redir_esc=y

A former neighbour has some non fiction on Amazon UK and recently had his first work of fiction published. I got the e book version and it is rubbish. If he can get published anyone can!

I don't know whether you would be aiming your book at kids or adults or inbetween but as an adjunct to the book, something like 'The Adventures of HaHa the Dog' would also lend itself wonderfully to a young audience especially with a good illustrator on board. Then if you could get the character viral you are talking all sorts of spin offs.

Whatever - it would be a lovely testament to HaHa.
Good luck!

·
Registered
478 Posts
That's a great idea Stormy - go for it!

I started writing when my son was small, I was stuck at home all the time with nothing else to do and I soon became obsessed, I would sit at the computer into the early hours. I wrote six books but never bothered to do anything with them, although several friends enjoyed them and said I should.

Years ago I came up with the title 'The Deerhounds Tale' but never wrote it because I couldn't think of any content, I just liked the title :D

If you do decide to do it I'd be happy to help with editing, and I'd love to read it anyway. I love books about dogs!

I wouldn't worry about a title yet. Somewhere along the writing path it will come to you.

Get going, I'm waiting with baited breath :thumbsup:

Lynsey

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments and offers of help.
I haven't checked this particular thread out for a little bit, so sorry for the delayed response.

I still think I want to write about HaHa, but other things kind have kept me busy lately...especially AU. :p

Stormy

·
Registered
500 Posts
Not helpful to you but when I was 14 I took a writing course at school and one of the tasks was to write some kind of book. I wrote a story I had wanted to read but which hadn't been published at the moment. There were novels for girls who rode ponies. There were mystery stories for young people. There were novels about the boy and his dog or horse. But where were series of bunch of teens and their dogs having an adventure or solving a mystery? A dog version of the pony girl books which crowded the shelves at the library? I could name, like, two series and one of them was about animals in general, not just dogs. That was the book I wanted to write and I did. The 30 one-sided A4's long story was probably quite boring and clicheed, who knows. It was read by the teacher and a couple of girls at the school and then forgotten. I still have the floppy disk somewhere but I wonder if anyone has a device to read or copy it anymore.
The mother of my main character was accidentally named twice. So, my two main characters get to play deterctives and in the end their clever and well-trained dog saves the day. I was a bit peeved by 'stupid dog suddenly turning trained/smart' trope so I tried to include scenes where my characters were actually training the dogs to do whatever they did later in the story. One of the weak sides of the story was though that the main dog was a bit too perfect. If she had any flaws I failed to showcase them.

Since then some writers in my mother tongue have written stories I wanted to read 10-20 years prior. There have been some translations too.

I want to write again but good plots and character development seem to escape me and I have no talent in turning my own dull life into inspiring and warm-hearted stories. You know, the type who can turn a very ordinary event into a heart-warming story by picking up the emotions and feelings and wisdom and observations of life and describing them with such brilliant (if not sometimes cheesy?) use of words? There is one thing I would like to tell about my life (and it involves a dog) but I don't know where I should start and end the story. And I should change everything except the core idea to avoid anyone tracking it back to me or my family. Real life doesn't really write a clear ending point for this story.

Your story about HaHa sounds interesting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts