Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping to get my puppy ready to be a therapy dog, so we're working towards CGC. While looking for training classes, I stumbled upon the puppy STAR program which is supposed to be like an introduction to CGC, if I understood correctly. Has anyone taken these classes? Any input?

I'm curious whether it is worth the extra class or if I should just start doing house training classes with him (he knows the basics like sit, come, paws down, and shake), but I have little experience with CGC training.

Thanks!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hi!

I've never done this with my dog(s)... In fact, I've never done any classes with my dogs. I think it just depends on what you prefer. If you set your mind to it I'm sure you could train the dog by yourself (though I'm not sure what the requirements are for a therapy dog). I'd say try doing it yourself first, and if you can't or your dog is having trouble with it, take the class! I think either way is a good choice :thumbsup:

Edit: There are lots of people out there who have very well trained dogs who trained them themselves! It might take longer doing it by yourself, but it's kinda fun to figure it out :)

·
Registered
624 Posts
I did with our former dog... it was a lot of fun and set a nice foundation. You could always ask your trainer if she can sign off on "star" puppy...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.