Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm considering having a dna test done on our dog, just out of curiosity about her breeds, since she's a mix. Just wondering if anyone has, & were you satisfied with the results? Is it worth it? I've read that the wisdom panel is (probably) the most accurate, according to reviews. I know it's not a definite answer, but just contemplating for now:ponder:, (& waiting for opinions!):whistle:

·
Registered
214 Posts
I did a lot of reading up on this and the Wisdom Panel/Mars seems to have the largest database and most accurate results. I read a lot of reviews by dog groups and blogs who tried several tests, and read the Amazon reviews thoroughly. Sometimes people are surprised at the results, and it's usually because the traits they see in their dog are not the main ones they'd associate with the breeds their dog turns out to be. You also have to follow the directions - no water or food for at least 2 hours beforehand, and no contaminating the swabs - I suspect there could be some user-error involved in some of the negative Amazon reviews. Generally things look quite good for WP, I'm sure you've seen the same things I have. :)

In some cases people have called WP and they seem more than happy to have a geneticist speak about the results. Sometimes they were torn between 2 possibilities, and in speaking about it you can find out more info. What this tells me is there's some hardcore nerds there who love what they do, and love to speak to the details of it - that's a bonus for me, plus shows great customer service.

I also want to know what my dogs are (everyone asks what our Finlay is), so I went ahead and ordered the WP tests. I sent in Fin's about 10 days ago, and a couple days back got an email that they'd received it. According to that I should have results in the next 2 weeks - I can certainly report back then. :)

The only hesitation I've had in doing Javva is using the swabs that came with the kit. They're like mascara wands, and need to be rubbed between the gums and cheek; probably super easy for a large dog, but with tiny mouths I was nervous of jabbing them. Finlay loves having her teeth done so it was pretty easy, whereas Jav is very difficult about it still, so I've been using a QTip in there each night when he's resting to get him used to it. I hope to do his swabbing next week.

What breeds do you suspect your girl is?

(Edit: Gosh I didn't mean to write so much, can you tell I'm excited about this? ;) )

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hello Cynna, Thanks for your reply! I knew there had to be someone out there who has done the dna, or has at least thought about doing it! :) Your little ones are super adorable! We used to have a male Chi/Doxie/? named Peanut, but very sadly, he passed away in 2014, due to complications from a very bad accident while outside. :( He is still greatly missed...such an awesome little dog he was. He resembled your dog, Javva. Now we have Chestnut aka Chessy. :) We were told by the shelter from where we adopted her that they thought she was a Hound/Shepherd mix. I see possibly both mixes at times, (especially the Hound), but feel confident there's another mix, at least. We adopted her this past Nov., & she has turned out to be an awesome dog so far. She seems so big compared to Peanut, even though she's only a medium sized dog! Peanut was so little! I would love to know your dog's dna results, & I understand why you're excited! (Plus the anticipation!) I will be too, when the time comes, which will most likely be soon, & will be going with the Wisdom Panel, as well. Good luck with Javva's swabbing! Hope you have a nice Valentine's weekend, Jenny :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Aww, so sorry to hear about Peanut. :( We ran into someone at the beach last weekend who had a dog who looked exactly like Javva, but 10 pounds heavier! She was a chi/doxie, but they wondered if there was Pug due to the curly tail and little ears. Theirs was broader built too, a little taller but also overweight, so hard to tell how much of it was the bone structure, lol.

Many have said he looks just like a chi they had or know, except for his face. His muzzle is broader than my JRT mix, yet shorter, and his face actually looks exactly like a lot of pitties I've seen pics of. So I'm pretty curious!

Chestnut sounds like a great dog, and mixes have generally been found to be healthier than pure breeds, so that should bode well for you. Will be interesting to see what she is. :)

Reactions: c2snickerz

·
Registered
156 Posts
I did it and I wasn't super convinced of the results. Every breed they suggested is long hair and my dog is a short haired dog. Take a look at my profile and look at her. They said she's 50 golden retriever, 25% airdale terrier and 25% english spaniel. I'm not convinced.

Also, when I called the vet that originally chipped her, she seemed certain that Yoki is a lab x cane corso mix which is what the shelter told us so, who knows! We've just accepted that she's our little heinz 57. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
As with any forum of grab & guess DNA testing - such as DNA testing yourself to find your "heritage" - take it with a grain of salt.

I tested Nemo, a "pedigreed" racing greyhound whose papers show he is at least 7 generations of racing greyhound. If there was lab somewhere in the mix, particularly at the % one DNA test indicated when I did it 2 years ago for fun, I'd expect him to look a lot different.

Aside from testing to prepare for potential health issues - and I say potential for there is no guarantee that a boxer mix will ever get cancer despite how boxers are prone to cancer - there is really no reason to DNA test the dog. So you know without doubt it is part GSD, part pit bull, part poodle for example... what are you going to do, walk up to the guy with the $3,000+ English Bulldog and say look at my dog it is the pure blooded "German Pitdoodler".

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've learned that offspring don't necessarily show you who their parents were. Both my parents were tall and had near-black hair, their parents too. I'm 5'4" with blonde hair! Physically I'm similar to one of Mom's sisters, and my curly blonde hair matches another of her sisters. Genetics, eh?!

As for dogs:

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
@c2snickerz we received the DNA results today, yay! When I read the email and saw the mixes I was surprised, but then seeing what those dogs look like, they pretty much make sense.

We'd guessed Finlay to be a Chi crossed with a JRT, Min-Pin, or Dachshund. Husband's wondered about Corgi being in there since she likes to run in circles around us as soon as she's on the extended leash in the park (endless crazy circles). As she LOVES chasing and bringing back a ball or toy, and will often stare at a noise in the bushes in a 'pointer' mode with her ears forward like a JRT that's added questions to the mix. Everyone we meet says "ooh, a Jack Russell!" but I know Jack Russell isn't one of the breeds in the results, due to the breed splitting in the US.

So, the results? A lot of mixing went on in her background! I called in and got more info on the mixes - they are great talking about the details. Parent #1 was half Chihuahua and half 'Sporting' mix. No surprise.

Parent #2 is half Toy Manchester Terrier/Shih Tzu and half English Springer Spaniel/Companion-Terrier mix. Surprised at the breeds, but they mostly make sense.

Fin has a high tuck and deep chest and is super athletic, and other than colour looks like a Toy Manchester Terrier. The personality traits of that dog are pretty close to Fin's. I can see a lot of the Spaniel in her - direct on in her face, in her stance, the retriever focus, and the colour pattern. I don't specifically see Shih Tzu but could explain the lighter colouring and shorter legs. (We've actually joked in the past that she's actually an undercover Shih Tzu because the 2 down the street lay down whimpering when they see her and she does the same, and none of them do this with other dogs).

They also tested for the MDR1 mutation, and she's in the clear for it.

I'm pretty confident that this is accurate for her, and it answers some questions. She loves to retrieve things and given that's natural to her, I'll use that a lot more as exercise and rewards.

I've got a second test already and am definitely going to do Javva's. :)http://www.dogforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
I can't edit the above, but meant to say - we're wondering now about the 'sporting' breed that is mixed with Chi. Wisdom Panel doesn't have a result for JRT, and when I'd asked if the Manchester Terrier could be the JRT showing up, I was told no, that it would show as 'mixed'. I didn't think to ask, but I'm curious if the sporting breed on the Chi side could be JRT.

Fin is a rescue brought up from California, and I know there are a lot of 'Jackahuahua' dogs made there (Chi-JRT crosses). I might call them back to ask.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Cynna:

Hi Cynna,

I'm glad that you got some answers to satisfy your curiosities regarding Finlay's lineage. :) Thanks for posting the illustration...very interesting, as I'm sure most people think that about their dogs dna test results. Now I bet you're even more curious about Javva's! I agree about the parentage thing...not every human, or dog, for that matter, resembles their parents, or grandparents, but maybe a trait or two can be seen down the line once in awhile, where others are "spitting images" of them. Genetics are usually complicated, but interesting! We are going to order a WP dna kit next week for our dog, so I'll post her results here later in March sometime. I'll be checking in from time to time to see what Javva's results are, too. Thanks again for sharing. Our dogs are all one-of-a-kind(s), no matter where they came from! :) I'd call WP back if you still have ???"s...you paid for it! BTW, did you use the WP 2.5 or 3?

·
Registered
214 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
My Molly had her DNA done with a WP 3 years ago ......Boy what a surpirise!!! LOL! Molly is 11" tall at the shoulder and weighs 13lbs! And I can only think the poodles genes must be very strong! Hahaha!
This is Molly.......

THESE ARE HER DNA RESULTS!!! LOL!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
double post........OOPS!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@LuvMyFluff:

Wow! According to Molly's results, Poodle has been in the gene pool for awhile, & she definitely looks the part, no doubt! LOL...at the other dogs possibly involved! (Makes a person wonder.) So yes, the Poodle genes appear to be dominant in her case. She's a cutie! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts