Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our rescue baby Tao, a pit-bull shih-tzu mix) saw the vet for the first time today and got his vaccines and de-worming. It seemed like an awful lot for a 17 lbs puppy who at 16 weeks had never seen a vet before(his old family's choice)but the vet insisted.He received a dhpp, lepto, lyme, corona,bordatella and rabies vaccine at about 4:30 pm. He got itchy at the injection sites shortly after and now he just seems restless and every spot he got an injection in is very sore if i touch them he yelps or if he lays on them wrong.The spots do also seem a tad bit swollen :(. He is eating normally and drinking normally so far. As well as breathing fine. I called the vet back and did some reading online and they say its normal in some dogs, but I'm just worried about him. Does anyone have any suggestions to help him ease the soreness, or feel a bit better. Also has anyone else had this experience with their baby's. I am just worried about him and don't like seeing him so uncomfortable.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
You might want to try a warm washcloth. I've never had a dog react to a shot like that but from what I understand some dogs do have reactions If it doesn't get better or gets worse call an evet because he could be having an allergic reaction.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Our rescue baby Tao, a pit-bull shih-tzu mix) saw the vet for the first time today and got his vaccines and de-worming. It seemed like an awful lot for a 17 lbs puppy who at 16 weeks had never seen a vet before(his old family's choice)but the vet insisted.He received a dhpp, lepto, lyme, corona,bordatella and rabies vaccine at about 4:30 pm. He got itchy at the injection sites shortly after and now he just seems restless and every spot he got an injection in is very sore if i touch them he yelps or if he lays on them wrong.The spots do also seem a tad bit swollen :(. He is eating normally and drinking normally so far. As well as breathing fine. I called the vet back and did some reading online and they say its normal in some dogs, but I'm just worried about him. Does anyone have any suggestions to help him ease the soreness, or feel a bit better. Also has anyone else had this experience with their baby's. I am just worried about him and don't like seeing him so uncomfortable.
Sounds like an allergic reaction. Our chi-dachshund mix has a similar one (his is just to the rabies vac).
Our vet told us not to worry too much, as there isn't a risk of it developing into a more serious reaction like anaphylaxis. You can give him a Benadryl to help with the itching (also what our vet reccomended).
Thanks for taking him in :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Aww! Poor guy! It's also in the way needles can be given. I know that some vets or techs have a pretty rough hand at needles and they can hurt like heck afterwards. My vet usually splits the shots giving the dhpp and bordatella together then a week later will give the rabies (we don't routinely give lepto or lyme where I'm from). This seems to help with any reaction. I know, not helpful to you at the moment. I would tend to use cold, only to decrease the inflammation. If he gets worse or no better, take him in to the vets as AllieD said, it could be an allergic type reaction that may need to be treated. For your next round of shots, see if they will split them.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
That's a ridiculous number of vaccines for one visit.

I've seen these reactions before. Benadryl could be helpful (1mg per pound body weight). I would not allow so many vaccines in the future and you may want to give him Benadryl before the visit.

And Corona is a useless vaccine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks you

Thank you all this a new part of the u.s. for me as i am from the south originally and am now in the northeast, i did question the vet about the amount that was being given but he insisted it was necessary here, i am going to be looking for a new vet for the next set and thank you guys so much for the advice. Its greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Benadryl and bag of frozen peas every 15 minutes where he's sore is what my vet recommended when my puppy had a vaccine reaction.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you to all who responded after some benedryl, and a good nights sleep in our bed Tao is doing much better this evening :)

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
Sorry I'm late replying! Glad to hear things are better.

I'm not sure about dogs, but as I have extensive knowledge with people having allergic reactions and reacting to shots and medications, I would highly recommend icing it next time. I know when I have a reaction it helps IMMENSELY to ice it. Benadryl (amount described by your vet) will help, but ice does a lot more for immediate reactions I've found.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts