Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  1. have you had a dog with liver disease? my dog is being treated right now for hepatitis but could potentially have something else without biopsy we don't really have a way of knowing. either way I was wondering if anyone has ever dealt with jaundice. what is it? can it be cured? what causes it? I asked my vet but she said she's yellow here's some meds if she doesn't get better....I was so stressed out I barely heard the rest.
kindly,
Carmella

·
Registered
403 Posts
If it's hepatitis then the probably won't specifically treat the jaundice. Once the hepatitis is under control the yellow colour will very likely go away. Did they tell you what form of hepatitis it was? In humans there are different forms that vary in severity. I presume something similar must be the case in dogs.

BTW there is a vaccination for this. Was your dog vaccinated?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's hepatitis then the probably won't specifically treat the jaundice. Once the hepatitis is under control the yellow colour will very likely go away. Did they tell you what form of hepatitis it was? In humans there are different forms that vary in severity. I presume something similar must be the case in dogs.

BTW there is a vaccination for this. Was your dog vaccinated?
uhm there's a vaccination for the virus type of hepatitis and she had that as a puppy but they said it was likely bacteria into a broken tooth she had or something she ate we think contaminated canned food I contacted the company about it uhm she's on treatments for the hepatitis and jaundice but she's very sick and I'm really worried. the vet said she is still hopeful but I'm scared.

·
Registered
403 Posts
It is scary. I would be freaking out if it were my dog too.

What I know from people who have had hepatitis is that the main thing will be to determine if this bout of hepatitis develops into a chronic condition. After the dog is feeling better the vet might be able to determine that. Acute hepatitis isn't usually fatal (in humans) from what I understand (disclaimer, I am NOT a doctor or a vet) but if it develops into a chronic issue that's when the problems begin.

For now just remain calm and pamper your dog. When she's feeling better then discuss the possibility for testing for a chronic condition with the vet.

Good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is scary. I would be freaking out if it were my dog too.

What I know from people who have had hepatitis is that the main thing will be to determine if this bout of hepatitis develops into a chronic condition. After the dog is feeling better the vet might be able to determine that. Acute hepatitis isn't usually fatal (in humans) from what I understand (disclaimer, I am NOT a doctor or a vet) but if it develops into a chronic issue that's when the problems begin.

For now just remain calm and pamper your dog. When she's feeling better then discuss the possibility for testing for a chronic condition with the vet.

Good luck.
yeah thank you. it's a lot different in dogs as the liver is one of the biggest organs. either she lives or does at this point bc of the jaundice. I'm not sure what to do but I've been giving medicines religiously she's not eating on her own I'm syringe feeding she's not drinking enough today but was every other day. she didn't urinate today. maybe dehydrated. idk. everything is horrible.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
You can't let her become too dehydrated. Your Vet can either hospitalize her and hydrate her via, IV's or inject fluid under her skin for absorption. We had to have our Vet do that under the skin injection, once, and she started peeing like a racehorse, so it does work.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can't let her become too dehydrated. Your Vet can either hospitalize her and hydrate her via, IV's or inject fluid under her skin for absorption. We had to have our Vet do that under the skin injection, once, and she started peeing like a racehorse, so it does work.
she said use the skin test and she's super firm. checked her bladder. not swollen. my best guess here is she lost a lot of liquid the past few days and is using it hoarding it really. vet said call tomorrow if she doesn't.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Whatever you do don’t let your dog become dehydrated. If you find he’s not drinking enough then give him a little chicken broth in his water he’ll lap it up completely. Please don’t buy canned chicken broth, it’s full of chemicals and sodium. Just get some chicken and boil it for about 15 minutes, let it cool then give some to your dog in his water dish. If he doesn’t drink it within three or four hours dump it out and try again. You can also give the chicken to your dog with some rice which would be easy on his stomach.. I really hope your dog recovers well. So sad.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi I work at a holistic pet store. Whenever customers come in with dogs having liver diseases I always tell them it’s very important for moisture and fresh foods to be in their diet. I highly recommend getting off kibble completely! It lacks moisture and it’s harder for dogs bodies to digest.

highly recommend The Honest Kitchen dehydrated grain free bag. Or Primal Freeze dried nuggets. If not anything dehydrated, or freeze dried, I highly reccommend a raw based diet. It is ideal for a dog with liver disease to get moisture and have fresh foods that are easy for them to digest and process. For raws you can look into Steve’s or Vital Essentials. These brands focus on meat content.

otherwise I highly reccommend looking into Dr. Karen Becker. I get a lot of my info from her (besides dog forums, scholar articles, work trainings, magazines, companies, studies, etc..)

I don’t know much about hepatitis. I’m not a vet. However, I do tons of research almost daily; reading between the lines of each working and checking their credentials.

Definetly keep doing some research. As I don’t know much about diseases but I do know about dogs nutrition and their biology structure. I highly encourage you to Watch some of Dr. Karen Becker’s YouTube videos about liver diseases.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi I work at a holistic pet store. Whenever customers come in with dogs having liver diseases I always tell them it’s very important for moisture and fresh foods to be in their diet. I highly recommend getting off kibble completely! It lacks moisture and it’s harder for dogs bodies to digest.

highly recommend The Honest Kitchen dehydrated grain free bag. Or Primal Freeze dried nuggets. If not anything dehydrated, or freeze dried, I highly reccommend a raw based diet. It is ideal for a dog with liver disease to get moisture and have fresh foods that are easy for them to digest and process. For raws you can look into Steve’s or Vital Essentials. These brands focus on meat content.

otherwise I highly reccommend looking into Dr. Karen Becker. I get a lot of my info from her (besides dog forums, scholar articles, work trainings, magazines, companies, studies, etc..)

I don’t know much about hepatitis. I’m not a vet. However, I do tons of research almost daily; reading between the lines of each working and checking their credentials.

Definetly keep doing some research. As I don’t know much about diseases but I do know about dogs nutrition and their biology structure. I highly encourage you to Watch some of Dr. Karen Becker’s YouTube videos about liver diseases.
she passed yesterday thank you anyway

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
s
Whatever you do don’t let your dog become dehydrated. If you find he’s not drinking enough then give him a little chicken broth in his water he’ll lap it up completely. Please don’t buy canned chicken broth, it’s full of chemicals and sodium. Just get some chicken and boil it for about 15 minutes, let it cool then give some to your dog in his water dish. If he doesn’t drink it within three or four hours dump it out and try again. You can also give the chicken to your dog with some rice which would be easy on his stomach.. I really hope your dog recovers well. So sad.
she passed surrounded by her loved ones thank you

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh dear. I'm so sorry to hear this!
thank you if anyone has an older dog is suggest at their annual to get a comprehensive metabolic pannel especially if they feed kibble or canned dog food or feed antler. you just never know 😭

1 - 15 of 15 Posts