Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for an H-style harness like the Ruffwear Front Range for my Mastiff, which, unfortunately looks like it would be too small for him. I already have a similar harness to the JuliusK9, which I love, but being a harnesses addict, I would like a more traditional style one also. Can I have your recommendations please? While I'm at it, I would also love some suggestions for a high-quality 15ft leash, I need a strong leash because I walk a 200 lb dog but prefer it not be nylon - I had a broken finger and my hand skinned by a nylon leash after Oscar bolted after a rabbit. :eek:

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Freedom harness has worked very will for my hound and I like that you can hook it front and back at the same time or one at a time. It has velvet on the belly strap for comfort and is easy to put on. Looks like they also have very large sizes. I have had it for a couple of years and use it daily, it is holding up nicely and washes well.
Freedom No Pull Harness Buy Direct from Patent Inventor

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have a Freedom No Pull which I used when Oscar was a puppy, in XL size which is now too small, XXL would probably be fine for him, though. I used it for a year or so from when he was 7 months old, when he outgrew it, and it held up well. I didn't love the fit personally because the girth strap cut in behind his front legs. I only really need a back clip harness and would like something more rugged. He also has a Walkeez harness, now discontinued I believe, but I don't love the way it fits, again the girth strap comes right under his front legs, although this harness is soft because of the fleece, the neck opening is a bit floppy over his shoulders also.

Does anyone have experience with the Balance Harness? It is adjustable in the front and back in addition to neck and girth which is good. It doesn't come in such nice colors as the Freedom No-Pull, just boring black with a contrasting color along the back.

I said I was a harness addict! That's what happens when you had a puller and went in search of the perfect solution! Now he walks nicely on the leash but I haven't been able to give up the harnesses!

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I said I was a harness addict! That's what happens when you had a puller and went in search of the perfect solution! Now he walks nicely on the leash but I haven't been able to give up the harnesses!
I liked the freedom so much I stopped there. I found that they pull a lot less with the harness so have continued to use them on both my dogs. If I get lazy and use the collar I am always surprised by how they pull immediately when its hooked to their neck. I think its a lot more comfortable for the dog also. You don't have to worry about throat injuries. If you have the right size and take that adjustment all the way out it fits further back on their bodies.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The thing with a 200 lb dog is they can pull through anything if they want to. Even as much lighter puppy he could pull through the Freedom harness, so I had to use it with a head collar with the double ended leashed attached to the head collar and the back harness clip. When you have a dog like that, you have to teach them to walk beside you nicely because no tool will stop them pulling.

·
Registered
298 Posts
What do you mean by more traditional style? We have some Julius K9 products and they work well for us. What are you looking for in a harness? More loose and free or a little bigger, and stronger? Also, I have an idea for a leash for you. They have up to 32ft long leashes and all the lengths between. It is made out of a material that is called Lumino, it feels like the a high quality leather. But it doesn't strech out, waterproof, and is glows in the dark. It can handle about 280lbs. I will attach a link for you and maybe it will be something that you can consider. Also I will share a picture of my girl, Libby in her harness and lumino leash.
IDC Lumino leashes without handle, 9,40 €, K9-USA.com - Julius K

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@KatieToth, thank you for the leash recommendation, they look very nice and the price is great! I was looking for a H-harness, I do have a similar harness to the Julius K9 which I love, so I might just stick with that.

Here is Oscar in his harness, its a Hunter Ranger

·
Registered
292 Posts
The front range harness in XL is huge. My girl has to wear a medium at 80 lbs and there is a lot of room still in that size. If you have not tried one on your dog, give it a try the next time you see one. They are fantastic harnesses! I see now the joring harness is now sold separately from the rest of the setup and is also a large adjusting harness with enormous freedom at the shoulders.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The front range harness in XL is huge. My girl has to wear a medium at 80 lbs and there is a lot of room still in that size. If you have not tried one on your dog, give it a try the next time you see one. They are fantastic harnesses! I see now the joring harness is now sold separately from the rest of the setup and is also a large adjusting harness with enormous freedom at the shoulders.
Wow, really?!!! You are giving me hope. :) Someone posted a sale on them on the board and now I am so tempted......

·
Registered
298 Posts
@KatieToth, thank you for the leash recommendation, they look very nice and the price is great! I was looking for a H-harness, I do have a similar harness to the Julius K9 which I love, so I might just stick with that.

Here is Oscar in his harness, its a Hunter Ranger

You are welcome :) If you end up getting it, please let me know how it works for you. I always like to gain more knowledge about different experiences! I do not have any experience with the H harness, but what I found interesting that how similar the Julius k9 and the Hunter Ranger look. How long have you had it for? Maybe you could share some pros and cons with us? :)

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You are welcome :) If you end up getting it, please let me know how it works for you. I always like to gain more knowledge about different experiences! I do not have any experience with the H harness, but what I found interesting that how similar the Julius k9 and the Hunter Ranger look. How long have you had it for? Maybe you could share some pros and cons with us? :)
I will.

I have had the Hunter harness for just a couple of weeks, and my boy has worn it every day since for walks. It does look almost identical to the Julius K9. I have never seen a Julius harness IRL, so can't compare the feel and quality, but I can say the Hunter is very high quality, the back part is super padded and the chest strap is fleece lined, so I think it is a comfortable harness to wear (projecting here!). The cons for the Hunter over the Julius K9 is the price, it is expensive, and the chest strap isn't adjustable. The chest strap is the perfect size for Oscar, so it isn't an issue for me, but it could well be for others. The Hunter also doesn't come in nearly so many cute colors. I bought the Hunter from a store in Telluride before I discovered the other brands of this kind of harness, like the Julius K9, the Ezydog or the Brilliant K9. I haven't seen any of these other harnesses, but on price alone, I would probably have gone with one of them. But am happy with what I have got.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I will.

I have had the Hunter harness for just a couple of weeks, and my boy has worn it every day since for walks. It does look almost identical to the Julius K9. I have never seen a Julius harness IRL, so can't compare the feel and quality, but I can say the Hunter is very high quality, the back part is super padded and the chest strap is fleece lined, so I think it is a comfortable harness to wear (projecting here!). The cons for the Hunter over the Julius K9 is the price, it is expensive, and the chest strap isn't adjustable. The chest strap is the perfect size for Oscar, so it isn't an issue for me, but it could well be for others. The Hunter also doesn't come in nearly so many cute colors. I bought the Hunter from a store in Telluride before I discovered the other brands of this kind of harness, like the Julius K9, the Ezydog or the Brilliant K9. I haven't seen any of these other harnesses, but on price alone, I would probably have gone with one of them. But am happy with what I have got.
Very nice! All it matter that it works for you and you are happy with it! I love my Julius. Like you said it is adjustable in every direction so you can have the perfect fit. What I also like about is that you can have so many different side patches for them. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts