Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back to searching for a harness and added another criteria to the search for good measure:rolleyes:

The harness must not have any possible chance to cause Zody to choke, that rules out lots of harnesses.

It must fit weird measurements. Zody has a 12 1/4" neck and a 17 1/2 inch girth, that rules out even more harnesses.

It cannot be scratchy or rough, especially around the undercarriage, because he's hairless or practically hairless or hairless on his undercarriage. Buckle placement can also be an issue. Oh goody, more harnesses that I cannot use.

New criteria, it cannot have edges that press into his spine if he pulls. That one is why I'm looking for a new harness, he was using the ChokeFree VelPro Mesh harness. It's a shoulder harness, that uses velcro to fasten shut, and it rides really far down on his chest so he NEVER chokes in it. Unfortunately when he pulls the part across his shoulders pulls back and the back edge presses into his spine. I'm now strongly suspecting that that is what may be causing the pain that he's been in lately. The vet thinks it may be a pinched nerve but isn't sure what could be causing it.

I've found this harness on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/listing/212049796/black-and-white-small-dog-no-choke?ref=shop_home_active_5 and am just hoping that it works for Zody. What do y'all think? I'm getting the black and white paw print pattern, you can see it in the last picture on the page, and let her know his measurements for the best fit possible.

Now taking bets on whether this harness will be the one he can use in the long run!:eyeroll:

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Really really cute harness! But why not get one with more color? I liked the lime green and black print!!!!

Reactions: Rain

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Really really cute harness! But why not get one with more color? I liked the lime green and black print!!!!
That one sort of matches the leash that I use. It's black with little white bones, plus he's black and white so I thought it'd look cute.

If it works out I'll be ordering a second one in a few months so I can have variety. Second one will be more colorful

Reactions: LuvMyFluff

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Sounds like a a sweet match.....now just hope it fits right! Harnesses have always been a difficult fit for us too....Molly has a 10" neck and a very deep chest that measures 17.5" so the neck in harnesses never fit (always too big)! She inherited a really nice one from my niece and when we got it I thought it would be 'overkill' because it is a Dean & Tyler Fun Works and I thought it would be too heavy for my little girl but she doesn't seem to mind it at all! I really like the 'handle' on it when I have to lift her on to my scooter sometimes!
Of course we got appropriate velcro patches for it!!!! LOL!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think getting a custom harness is a great idea! The one you chose is super cute!
Thanks!

I really liked that even though she has sizes to choose from she'll custom fit the harness if necessary. I picked size small but left her a message explaining my concerns and what Zody's measurements are.

Reactions: ZoesMom

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like a a sweet match.....now just hope it fits right! Harnesses have always been a difficult fit for us too....Molly has a 10" neck and a very deep chest that measures 17.5" so the neck in harnesses never fit (always too big)! She inherited a really nice one from my niece and when we got it I thought it would be 'overkill' because it is a Dean & Tyler Fun Works and I thought it would be too heavy for my little girl but she doesn't seem to mind it at all! I really like the 'handle' on it when I have to lift her on to my scooter sometimes!

Sounds like you have as much fun as I do trying to find harnesses that fit!

I'll have to check out the Dean and Tyler harnesses. I told my friend I'd keep an eye out for one that might work for her Dachshund. She's in a motorized wheel chair, and needs one with a handle so she can lift him into her lap, but she also needs it to be comfortable so he can keep it on during the day and escape proof since he's an escape artist who once loose does not come back.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Sounds like you have as much fun as I do trying to find harnesses that fit!

I'll have to check out the Dean and Tyler harnesses. I told my friend I'd keep an eye out for one that might work for her Dachshund. She's in a motorized wheel chair, and needs one with a handle so she can lift him into her lap, but she also needs it to be comfortable so he can keep it on during the day and escape proof since he's an escape artist who once loose does not come back.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I hope this works out for you, I think custom is a great way to go especially for dogs that usual standard sizes don't normally fit well.

Reactions: Rain

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awww. Poor little guy. he is sooooo cute! Hope you find one that works for him.
Thanks!

Here he is in the ChokeFree VelPro Mesh. It will be interesting to see if it is what's causing the pinched nerve, or if it's something else.

Reactions: agility collie mom

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Hopefully this is a quick fix for you, when do you get your new harness?

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The harness arrived today! It fits him great and is very soft. The owner of the store customized it a bit so that it fits better and I'm so grateful that she did. He's only worn if for a short walk so I can't say if it can choke him but I don't think it will.

Here's a few of pictures of him wearing it

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Day 9 of using the harness. So far he's doing very good in it. He does not mind wearing it, is no longer wary of having a harness put on him like he was with the ChokeFree. He's been off his pain med and nasid since the second day of using it, so I guess it really was the ChokeFree that was causing the pinched nerve. He can be choked by it if he pulls hard, but we're working on leash manners, so hopefully that stops being a problem. All in all we're both pretty happy with it.

Reactions: Sabina88
1 - 16 of 16 Posts