Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sweet girl Roxie started tilting her head and walking very unsteadily last Thursday afternoon. My vet determined that she had gone blind, and that there is most likely another issue (ear infection, brain tumor, and several other things). I'm anticipating several more vet visits over the next few weeks, so I'd like to get her a relatively secure harness to wear (she is an escape artist). In addition, I've noticed she hasn't been as active the past few days, so I'd like one that will be very comfortable for her to walk in with me several times a day. I think a harness would be better than her regular collar as it will let me guide her better if needed and will put less pressure on her. Comfort is very important to me at this point.

Any suggestions that anyone might have for a suitable harness would be greatly appreciated. She's a border collie mix and is a bit overweight at around 55 lbs.

·
Premium Member
3,815 Posts
Ruffwear Web Master is the best for escape artists, lots of room for adjustments, and has a handle.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Seconding Ruffwear, it's a good one and it also had a handle on the back if you need better control guiding her, it's dang near escape proof.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Another vote for the Ruffwear Webmaster. The rear strap that goes around their tuck up makes it darn near impossible to back out assuming that the dog does have a reasonable tuck up. The handle on the back is very nice for guiding dogs around or lifting them if necessary.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all of the responses! I've got a Ruffwear Web Master on the way, so we should get to try it out this weekend.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I saw this very unique harness a few months ago and I believe it is one of the best rehabilitation harnesses as well. I know you already purchased another brand and stuff, but maybe if for some reason in doesn't work out, this could be an option.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Some of the signs sound similar to Vestibular Disease. Does the vet know for sure that she has gone blind? Either way, the Ruffwear harness will work perfectly.

·
Registered
59 Posts
No real advice on the harness, but I echo what beardiedawg said. Our 13.5 year old Ginger had the same symptoms with the difficulty walking and the head tilt, which is definitely a characteristic of Vestibular Disease. They did x-rays and scans to rule out tumors or a stroke, and that was her diagnosis. A week of steroids, and keeping her in her small pen and she was much improved!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, he thinks it is sudden retinal degeneration at this point. She is doing somewhat better but still has the head tilt. He hasn't suggested any treatment at this time, but we will visit her ophthalmologist soon. She did have a steroid shot that perked her up. Thank you for the concern!

Also, the Web Master harness has been wonderful. Easy to put on and she feels more comfortable when we are taking walks. I wish I'd gotten one years ago.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.