Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My fiance and I are hoping to bring a puppy into our lives sometimes in the summer of this year.

We want to be really responsible with it. We have had quite a few rescue dogs whom we've loved in our lives but we really want to try training a puppy from the start. So we've set out finding responsible breeders, but it seems a lot harder than it should be!

We are going to be moving into a 1 bedroom apartment which allows medium and small dogs. However, we don't want a small dog because we love to go hiking and camping and would love to bring our dog with us (and they would have to hike pretty tough terrain for a fairly long amount of time)

We were thinking of some kind of shepherd but we can't even find many responsible seeming breeders at all. And the few I was able to get in touch with won't even begin to consider us because of the fact that we live in an apartment (for now)

In addition, a lot of the petfinder ads I am seeing seem a little sketchy. "Accidental" litters or rescue pups with really large price tags - more than a few hundred dollars which makes me feel like they are more of a backyard breeder hiding behind the rescue label.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
521 Posts
I haven't seen anything sketchy on Petfinder - that's odd! Definitely stay away from places asking more than $300-400... there should still be plenty of options though.

Responsible breeders - yep, same experience here, and I'm a SAHM with a fenced backyard. I looked twice, gave up each time because I never heard back from the ones I contacted. Very frustrating.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts