Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used a hands free leash/belt?

It is basically a belt you wear with D rings to attach a leash onto.

I've been looking at quite a few different ones on amazon and they all have good reviews but im not quite sure yet..

I'd really love one for my husky, I think he is around 60lbs. I will mainly use it when I have him running around on a long lead. Currently I loop the leash around my waist and it tends to slip down and is aggravating.

My biggest concern is that he may pull hard and the belt breaks, comes off.

He is pretty good but when we first go out he is excited and pulls a bit and every now and then he will and yanks me. But for the most part he doesn't.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Ive never used one but here's a review video for one, she walks two huskies on it and likes it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E7CSkD_K8I

As for the pulling I think part of that comes down to training. I would maybe invest in harness that is used for something like skijoring/bikejoring/cani cross so its made to handle some pull.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I have something like that for Manna...it doesn't break when she decides it's time to be bratty, but I would be careful and not use it if you have any back problems or depending on training.

I would never have Vitae who is 2/3 the size of Manna on it because Vitae would probably give me whip lash or snap me in half.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all I decided to go ahead and get it. Hopefully it works out!

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I hope it works out for you :)
What brand did you decide on?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hope it works out for you :)
What brand did you decide on?
I decided to go with this one

It seemed to be just what I was looking for and had good reviews. I didn't really need all the bells and whistles some of the others had.

The company itself actually emailed me, thanking me for my purchase and giving me some more info. I order off amazon all the time and never ever have I had that happen! Plus I ordered it with standard shipping and it will be here tomorrow.

Luckily the weather is just beautiful, hopefully it sticks and I can try it out right away!

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I hope it works, youll have to give us a update when your able to try it :)

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I have Kurgo convertible leashes, and they work great. Can be used as normal leash, traffic lead, over the shoulder, walking two dogs, or around the waist.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I tested it out today and omg I love it! I've only used it once but so far it is like the best thing ever! lol

The leash/belt is very well made and has a good heavy duty feel to it which made me feel confident. I hooked the long lead to the bungee leash and I think that really helped absorb pull because it barely felt like he tugged ever.

I love the leash handles it has too.

I first used it to let the dogs run around on the long lead then I used it on a walk. It was great for the walk too. I can't walk both dogs on it..yet as Koda doesn't have good leash manners & it would be insane. I mostly still held the leash handle but being able to let go was great to brush the hair out of my face because it was quite windy lmao

I didn't get good pics because i was using my phone and it was so bright out I couldnt see the screen lol

A short video
https://youtu.be/JyyIsF_VC0k
(one day I will remember to turn my phone duh)

·
Registered
66 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
I use a Ruffwear Slackline when running but usually hold it in my hand when I am just walking. I walk two dogs most of the time, one that is leash reactive, so I feel like I have more control if I have the leash in hand.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We walk SIX dogs at the same time using a belt-leash I made:

Two large Rotties, German shepherd/Chihuahua, Border Terrier, Chiweenie, Mini-Poodle all at the same time.

·
Registered
58 Posts
We have a jogging belt that's made by Julius k9, but I think it could be used as a hands free leash as well. I used it for hiking when we were just getting into it, and I didn't want my pup to be running around free yet. I am sure if you were to search "Julius k9 jogging belt" it would come up with reviews as well.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just wondering how if any of the belts have metal fasteners rather than plastic? Our 60lb pit cross puppy blew through the plastic clips of our new belt on the first use. She's great at running beside us, but likes to zoom after squirrels/birds OR go from running to lying flat on the ground if she sees a dog (hilarious for on-comers to watch me get yanked backwards...but a good way to break flimsy plastic parts on a running belt).

The elastic leash is key and we are working on the prey drive and lying down thing, but in the mean time, need something sturdier.

·
Registered
572 Posts
yeah the 2 waist belts we have for Manna ( and hubby uses one for Vitae) are all heavy duty metal...They're a ruffwear waist belt but I'm not sure the model

1 - 16 of 16 Posts