Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hammy is a very undersocialized dog. We got her about 3 weeks ago and she's had issues with anything new since the day we got her. She is thankfully just anxious and not aggressive or phobic.

We've started working on a few things to socialize her. She's been meeting new people at home. Those people are instructed on how to greet her. To let her come to them. And they're given a ton of treats to give to her when she starts to come close.

We go on walks. On those walks, when a new person comes by she gets a treat to try to build the association that new things mean more treats. This seems to be working well, though we've not been doing it long enough to really be sure.

She's learned sit and down with great success. She's very consistent with those two commands.

We're starting obedience training this Sunday to try to work on a few things. Not the least of which is her manners when greeting new dogs. She seems to do one of two things with a new dog. She either runs full bore to them to try to get to know them, or she runs and hides. I have not yet figured out what the difference is that causes the change from one dog to another. I think it has to do with the other dog being younger and more timid. She seems to be less comfortable with older dogs. Eventually I'll figure out the trigger and have to work on it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
We've been working on basic training and confidence building lately. I'm trying to build a series of consistent skills that I can use on walks to help acclimate her to people and ways to distract her when she gets focused on a fear inducing stimulus. We've been working on sits, downs and sit/stays. We're also working on making eye contact with me.

I've been treating her when she makes eye contact and she's done very well with that. I've been working on extending the amount of time that she keeps the eye contact before she gets treated and that has been consistently getting better. Not as fast as I would like, but any progress is progress.

Sit is very consistent. Down is very consistent. Sit/stay is not so consistent. We've gotten to a point where. I can get the sit on command. I can get about 2 seconds out of her and then she gets up and starts to go somewhere else. I don't really know how to get over this hump, but I'll ask the behaviorist at class on Sunday to see what I can do.

We've also been working on heel/sit and that seems to be going very well too. Hammy seems to under stand that when I a circle ended with the sit command that it means to come stand beside me and sit down. So that's been going very well.

Once we get sit/stay down, we're going to work on touch so that I have another way to draw her focus when she starts to fixate on her fear stimuli on walks. This is such a slow process. She does so well in our training sessions in the house, but outside the house I may as well not even exist. That's so frustrating. But we'll keep at it. Eventually it'll come around.

Oh yeah...we started obedience class last Sunday. That did not go as well as expected. As stated before, the whole out in public thing was a big problem. She didn't seem to be having any fear reactions. However, in class I could not get her to do anything. She had no interest in paying attention to me. She was much more concerned with the other dogs and people in the class to pay any attention to me. The behaviorist encouraged me and told me that bringing in to class for the next 6 weeks may just be a socialization exercise and told me that I could take the class again for free if that was necessary. Which is nice to know, but it's frustrating that outside of the class I can get her to do everything that we go over in class, but in class she is so distracted that she won't do anything that I can get her to do with 100% reliability at home.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts