Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one tried either Halo or Whole Earth Farms dog food brand? I was doing some more looking into food that Sawyer might do better on (I put him back on Taste of the Wild after Zignature and canidae didn't work, though I mix a bit of the Zignature in so I can use up the bag) and I came across these brands. I did some cursory looking and they had grain free, and had a good rating from dog food advisor. But I was wondering what you guys thought about the brands/food before I end up buying it.
Since he cant have grains and chicken, and lamb these are these are my options from these brands. Im kinda iffy on the turkey because in my mind its simaler to chicken but it might be worth a try to see if he can have turkey but not chicken. He also tends to have a sensitive stomach, and gets soft stool/diahrea relatively easy depending on what he eats.

Halo Spots Stew Grain Free Hearty Surf N Turf Recipe Dog Food

Whole Earth Farms Grain Free Salmon and White Fish Dog Food

Whole Earth Farms Grain Free Turkey and Duck Dog Food

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
to me they look healthy enough id give the higher fat content they have a go if i were you. Just one thing can he not have grains? im thinking grains might help keep the weight on? also be cheaper? worth a shot

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When we first got him I had him on blue puppy and I think when I switched him to adult too. We fed him the chicken formula and I think the lamb once or twice. He did fine on it for awhile but he started get itchy/dry/hot spots on his back. So I wanted to try something grain free and chicken free to see if it would help, blue as far as I know or at least at the time, doesn't have any grain free. So I switched brands, if I remember correctly to earthborn holistic (grain and chicken free) and the dry itchy spots went away and he did much better on without them.

Thanks for the advice :), I think I might try them next then after I finish up his current bag.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
My hound is intolerant of chicken ,his stomach does a few terrible things when he gets ahold of it. But turkey is fine no problems. You might want to try it and see.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I tried my dogs on Whole Earth Farms, and I wasn't too pleased. They were really gassy and itchy, and their coats got a little duller than I like. I tried different proteins and it was still the same.

·
Registered
724 Posts
So why'd you switch off of Earthborn if it was working?

Whole Earth is a Merrick product. It's okay but probably not going to be beneficial to a dog with digestive issues.

Halo reads okay but I've heard no reviews or had feedback on it before.

Turkey and chicken are totally different, most dogs tolerate turkey just fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My dog was on Halo for a few years. She loved it. I had to switch her off of it because my local pet store no longer carried it and I can't seem to find it anywhere else.

It is pricey, but if you join their newsletter, you will receive coupons every month.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts