Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
are you refering to a martingale collar?

depends what your goal is... Are you planning on correcting the dog with it? They are mostly used for dogs who have thin heads and can pull their heads out of normal collars.

a pop (correction) in this type of collar is mostly the noise of the chain, not actual pain. If your dog is afraid of the noise it will work as a correction, if he doesn't care it will be pretty useless as a training tool.

That said.. if your dog is pulling you there are ways to teach him not too without collar pops if your interested.

:) :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To Stop Pulling And The One Im Going To Get Looks Like This...

And This Is The Description....
The Half Check Dog Collar by Pets at Home is a unique collar with snap fastener and I.D ring holder. The Half Check Dog Collar checks without choking and the jingle of the chain acts as an attentive command. The Half Check Dog Collar by Pets at Home is dog trainer approved and was designed by George Grayson - Chairman of the Dog Training Industry Association, UK.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
its the same collar. Its called a martingale.

And This Is The Description....
The Half Check Dog Collar by Pets at Home is a unique collar with snap fastener and I.D ring holder. The Half Check Dog Collar checks without choking and the jingle of the chain acts as an attentive command. The Half Check Dog Collar by Pets at Home is dog trainer approved and was designed by George Grayson - Chairman of the Dog Training Industry Association, UK
this is what I was talking about, the correction is the noise of the chain, if your dog doesn't care about the noise of the chain it wont work.

And no it will not stop pulling permanently unless you have a really really really soft dog (which you dont' if this is for your sharpei) a normal dog is going to habituate (get used to) that sound really fast...., or you are going to have to hang him by it.

Its a tool, nothing more. Its for supressing a behavior while you train a new one, its not meant as a forever fix. :)

Just my opinion. :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
i have this collar. i have used proper choke chain collars in the past as well as the prong pinch collar. i do not use leash corrections anymore (atleast, i am trying not too, but that was how i learned to leash train a dog and i am having some difficulty training myself not to*sigh*) the point is that i know how to use a collar for corrections (i encourage you not too though) and i am learning other methods to keep my dog from pulling (he really doesn't pull much). i use the martingale b/c my dog was so afraid when i got him that i feared he may slip his collar. that style of collar is not very effective for leash corrections. imo leash corrections are not very effective either (again, i have used them), and there are other ways to leash train your dog w/o this method. as crios explained, it is not a fix for pulling, but suppresses the behavior.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts