Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 1 year old female Golden and in the past three weeks, she has lost a significant amount of hair on her back and hind legs. I took her to the vet last week and they charged me $150 to give her antibiotics and fish oil to put in her food. I have not been too pleased with them and was hoping to find some help here. Her temperament has not changed at all and I feel like she is too young to have a thyroid problem. If i gently pet her, a large amount of hair will fall off. Her food hasn't changed in the past two months so I can't really pinpoint the problem. I do live in Florida and theres a ton of oak pollen here so I was thinking she might have allergies to that? I've attached a handful of picture so you can see the amount of shedding done in the past three weeks. She usually have a darker golden coat if that helps.

Thanks in advance!

Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Nutrition is directly related to their coat quality. Don't know what you are feeding her, but I would suggest not feeding her processed food and only fresh. It made a huge difference in ours, when we changed her from processed foods to all fresh.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nutrition is directly related to their coat quality. Don't know what you are feeding her, but I would suggest not feeding her processed food and only fresh. It made a huge difference in ours, when we changed her from processed foods to all fresh.
Thanks for the insight! She has a very sensitive stomach so I have to feed her Hills Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach and Skin, which says promotes a healthy coat. Do you think she might be allergic to that even know it's natural and not processed?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, it could be to a food allergy. I saw a post somewhere about a similar problem. Let me try to find it.

Update: Here it is

They are actually talking about Golden is more susceptible breed and give advice on how to find an allergen.

Hope it helps you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts