Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 10 year old lab mix has a history of allergies. For the last 2 years we have had it under control with either no or minimal hair loss. I noticed a few days ago that she was shedding more than normal and since then she has startd getting bare around the neck. She does not seem to scratch more than normal. We have a vet visit planned but we live in a small town with only one vet and it will be next week before they can fit her in. Any ideas what issues could cause this. She is an indoor dog, eats blue buffalo with small amounts of raw meat added and has done well till now. Also we had to put down our other dog thursday of last week. Can stress cause this type of hair loss?

·
Banned
5,518 Posts
A few thoughts:

I've never heard of "emotional stress" cause hair loss like this in dogs but I have seen cats have stress-induced herpes ocular flare-ups due to the loss of a housemate so I guess it may be possible.

Are you sure this bare spot is new or did you just notice it and it could have possibly been there? Often times dogs who wear collars all of the time develop a ring of hair loss right where the collar is. Could be a possibility.

It's not the right area for any mites or mange to flare up but I'm sure your vet would want to test for those anyway. Could be a minor skin infection starting. All things your vet will/should test for anyway if warranted.

It's also not the right spot for it to be endocrine-induced hair loss but if she hasn't had bloodwork done recently she should have a full Chemistry Panel done to rule in or out Cushings, as well as have a thyroid level run.

Other than that, it's hard to say. None of them are an emergency and can wait until next week. Perhaps try giving her a bath with a gentle/oatmeal shampoo to get the excess shedding off of her and watch her until her appointment.

·
Banned
5,518 Posts
And, depending on where you live, she could just be having a normal shedding-- it's been crazy-warm here so that's also possible...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She never wear a colar and is inside where it is temp controlled except to go out to use the bathroom then she comes right back in. She is allergic to grass so we have to keep her inside as much as possible. We know it wasn't like this 2 weeks ago when she got her bath. We always bathe her with an oatmeal mixture and today when she got her bath there was more than a handful of hair left in the tub. Just worried since we just lost one of our babies. I'm new to this posting thing so I hope the pictures show. Thank you

Attachments

·
Banned
5,518 Posts
That's more than I pictured in my head, glad you posted the pic.

I would definitely have the bloodwork done then-- better safe than sorry and best to rule out other issues. Doesn't look like mites or fleas, but that's a large enough area that it could be endocrine (but still not in the right places...)

How is her water intake and her urination? Normal, more than usual... ? How is her activity level? Has it changed?

Does she have any scabs or red spots where there is hair loss?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Her water intake, urination, and energy levels are normal. One problem we have is she is always a lazy dog so when she doesn't feel well it is hard to tell. No red spots or scabs, the spots in the first pic on her skin are old scars. So i guess it isn't something I need to be freaked out about? The poor girl has had blood taken far too many times in her life but I guess we"ll have to put her through it again. Thank you!

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
I second the thyroid / cushings check. Lazy plus hair loss may equal endocrine issues.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
5,518 Posts
If she doesn't start acting abnormal (vomiting, diarrhea, inappetance, change in water intake or urination), then I think it can wait until your appointment next week... but I'd have it checked out rather than take the wait-and-see approach.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts