Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, 2 days ago, I noticed HaHa was walking with his head tilted. I took a look at his ear and cleaned it with a swab, but other than a little redness around the outer edge, I didn't get any gunk out of his ear and it smelled clean - so I thought maybe he just scratched it too hard and it stung.

But that night I noticed Jaya getting really aggressive about licking it...she usually licks his ears, but it's done gently and not for very long. HaHa will get up and leave it it annoys him after a while, but this time he stayed right there and was even leaning into the licking and finding some comfort in it.

This morning, HaHa started to shake his head, so I called the vet and got an appointment. Before I called the vet, I took another look at his ears...and then I found 3 bumps on the neck, behind the ear flap. I thought, maybe the cat tagged him...he scratched at it...his nail getting in around the ear canal nicking it and then the licking was what made the inside earflap raw and also the area around the ear canal.

I also found... to my surprise, that HaHa still has two puppy teeth that never fell out. On the top row, there are 2 smaller fangs that are next to the big fangs. The puppy teeth are in front of those 2 smaller looking fangs (incisors).

So...he's schedules for Tuesday to have the puppy fangs pulled as food is getting caught between them and the adult ones.

As for the bad ear.... once I got him to the vet, and told her I thought the rash was from scratching and Jaya licking on it so much, my vet took a look down inside HaHa's ear and didn't find anything there either (insert 'no brains joke.)

I then showed her the 3 bumps...and she shaved that area and I was shocked to see that there was more like 12... The vet thinks a spider got caught in the hair, next to the skin...maybe while HaHa was laying down asleep on that side? or HaHa felt it and was scratching at it...and the spider kept biting him as it traveled from the neck up to the ear, or from the ear down the neck..biting as it was threatened by HaHa moving about or just because it was trapped under the hair and felt movement. ???

Anyway, I got some antibiotic/mild steroid ointment to rub on the bites and on the raw areas just inside his ear canal and on the flap of the ear and on the bites. He's also going to get some antibiotic pills.

I might have to put a sock on this back foot to keep him from digging at his ears and the vet said as long as the ointment stayed on the ear for most of the day, if Jaya got to him and licked it off, it would still be safe...she won't get sick from it.

Anyway, HaHa's pretty miserable right now. The shaving...having cold air hit in that area on his neck next to his ear flap...is a new sensation, plus the bites itch as does his ear under the flap.

Next week, he's in for more misery as he will have to go under the gas to have those 2 baby fangs pulled.

Stormy

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
oh goodness you are going through alot with your dogs! poor haha :( not fun that and i really hope the surgery goes well(and dont cost too much) how old is Haha now? its no wonder he miserable thats painful

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HaHa's about 4 years old now.

He is rubbing his head and neck on Everything! The walls, the edge of the sofa, my leg, the kitchen chair...the bites and perhaps the shaving, must be itchy and now that they are exposed, he's feeling the air on them or something because he wasn't doing that before I took him to the vet.

I hope the meds kick in soon. My vet doesn't charge much. I would guess to get both of those puppy teeth removed will probably cost right around $130 to $150.00 for both teeth - if they come out without any hassle, like breaking and having to go in after what's left.

Some 10 years ago, I had a little dog named Shilo who was elderly and had some bad teeth and this same vet pulled about 8 of her teeth for $125.00.

I know prices have gone up since then, and according to my vet, she's not making hardly anything for her own services/time and most of the cost is in the anesthesia and meds and in figuring her assistant's wages per hour.

Once, when I had to have part of Shilo's tail amputated -one of my very young nieces shut a door on it, and broke it in such a way that it would never heal right.
One the day of the operation, I took her in and my vet asked me if I would like to watch the surgery...and I was like Yeah. I had the time and seeing stuff like that doesn't bother me.

Still, my vet told me that if I felt like I was getting upset, I should leave the operating room...because it is different when something you care about is on the table. I got to hold the mask over Shilo's face while the vet turned on the gas, and while the vet operated. It was a quick operation...Shilo was a small dog and it only took a surgical knife to cut between the one area the bones where no longer connected to the rest of the tail. Then a couple of stitches. Afterwards, while Shilo was still out, we took her to another room and her teeth were quickly cleaned. (this was years before she had those 8 teeth cleaned).

Anyway...I'm glad I have a vet like that. She's very much into trying to provide affordable care for pets, and every year sponsors free spaying and neutering of animals for a whole week and she does all spaying and neutering for the animal shelter too.

Stormy

Reactions: Sha

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Watch him with the rubbing and scratching at it. That's exactly how Shadow used to take a wound that I should have been able to treat at home and turn it into a rip roaring, infected, inflamed mess that was a $100 vet bill. Could you maybe cover the area with a bandanna or something like that?

I hope your poor boy feels better, and that the extractions go well!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts