Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm sitting in my recliner, reading an e-book on my Kindle...and HaHa has a tennis ball...pestering me to play with him. I get the ball, toss it towards my back door, it hits a shoe drying out by the heater...bounces into the kitchen...with HaHa right behind it. I hear HaHa rummaging around the area where I store paper sacks....and I think his short term memory kicked in. He went in after a ball and came out with this:

I shouldn't be surprised with the things he does anymore...but I did have to laugh that he went in after a ball and came out with a sack. I got my Kindle's camera on and clicked a few quick photos.

Same sack about 5 minutes later....he had fun destroying it...and uh...that sack's not going to get recycled. :p

Also, I love how Jaya and HaHa like to stay close to each other. Even when they have the whole living room to find their own spot they chose to lay close to each other...and even mimic each other's posture. Since HaHa has come into my home, my house now always looks like a day care...with stuffed toys all over the floor and he has a terrible habit of knocking my pillows off my sofa. I think I pick up that one pillow in the background about 7 times a day. :p

Stormy

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
thats so sweet :)

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well... this didn't make me smile...but since there's a recent thread here about him...

I almost lost HaHa last night, he had a very serious bloat incident. I fed him his regular amount of dog food, but he might have drank a lot more water than normal... Who knows? Bloat, in dogs is kind of like colic in horses. In dogs, if the stomach fills up with gas to fast, it kind of shuts the seal off to the throat and the dog can't burp...the gas builds up and can even cause the stomach to flip - if that happens, the dog dies within about 2 hours due to shock as the blood is cut off from the twisted stomach and gas pain becomes unbearable.

HaHa had a very rough 6 hours of it last night. I called my vet early on, and we decided it would be best not to bring HaHa in, as he was at a point where I could still do some things with him and moving him about might be dangerous. I had some needle-less syringes that hold about a tablespoon of liquid, and every 10 minutes I was squirting Alka Seltzer down his throat...until he had 2 tabs that had been dissolved in 2 ounces of water into him. Finally he burped a tiny bit and at that point, I got a small Gas-x pill down him....but it didn't do anything...usually it works like in 2 to 5 minutes. (I can tell when he's having issues as he swallows a lot and will pace...so I keep Gas-x pills on hand at all times).

After 20 minutes, I started with another round of Alka Seltzer and also 2 syringe fulls of very strongly brewed mint/chamomile tea - mint relaxes the area around the valve...and chamomile is known to help sooth stomach problems. After 1 syringe of Alka Seltzer and then the tea he finally let out a huge belch. I think I was as relieved as he was.

During this time (between 6 and midnight) my vet called me back several times. She ended up having to go out on an emergency call and was in and out of cell phone range. She told me what to try and told me how to monitor HaHa's bloat...as far has if I saw any swelling up high in back of the ribs to get him to the clinic and she would try to get there as soon as she could. HaHa's tummy was swollen, and hard as a rock, but it didn't swell up so much as to see if protrude from the rib line. At one point he laid down and started whining...and I couldn't reach my vet via the phone...and I was afraid to move him without her ok. He was in a lot of pain for a long time, poor guy is utterly exhausted...wasn't his usual perky self this morning...and is now sleeping...hasn't even picked up a toy for the day like he usually does. I put one near him, so when he wakes up, he'll think it was his idea : ) (His short term memory comes in handy sometimes....especially, since (at least I hope) he won't remember how bad last night was for him.

Anyway, even after the worst was over, he was still kind of uncomfortable until about 3 a.m. Then he finally fell asleep.
He's on softened dog food and very tiny amounts of it at a time for the next 3 or 4 days.

Stormy

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
@Stormy - Oh gosh that must have been so scary. How is HaHa doing today?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
@SusanLynn, and @Shandula

HaHa is doing much better today. He always wakes up 'happy' - tail wagging and in search of just the right toy for the day. It's a funny process to watch as he goes over to his stuffed animal collection and picks up or scratches at them until he decides which toy is the perfect one.

Yesterday he didn't do that, didn't even pack around the one I put near him...although he did move it a few times...he didn't keep it with him at all times either. He was just tired all day and didn't have a lot of energy, and slept almost all day too. It kind of felt weird moving around the house without him in front of me, facing me, walking backwards....lol...which is standard operating procedure with him. I get nothing done in a hurry around here. :p

Today, we are back to normal it seems, he woke up tail wagging, picking out a toy, and being a pest about letting me move around the house without him as my moving roadblock.

My vet called me yesterday too, and checked on his progress. I sure like her. The night of the crisis, and before she got that emergency call that took her 40 miles out of town to a ranch. She even offered to come to my house and set HaHa up with and IV. As I said, when I first called her, that evening, she was hesitant about moving and stressing HaHa with a car ride....and thought it might be best to keep him calm....and see if I could get him to relax and burp with home meds.

I feel so bad for people who live in cities where vets just can't cater to people by going to their homes for stuff like this. We have two vet clinics in the valley and 4 vets (one is strictly equine and cattle)...but all will go to the customer if needed rather than making the customer bring the animal in....as long as circumstances don't require immediate surgery and x-rays...etc.

Thanks for asking about HaHa. It's funny how I have deeply loved all my pets, but a few of them just have had personalities that burned a bit brighter than others. HaHa's personality has to be the most unique one I've ever come across and I've had a lot of pets in my life and worked around a lot of dogs that were not my own. Like I said, he's kind of a puppy in an adult dog body...but he's potty trained and past the chewing stage...so all the cute, and not much of the hassle as a puppy. lol.

I also got some sleep in yesterday. I woke up yesterday and today, though with my arm hurting. For a lot of time during those 9 hours HaHa was having problems, I was lightly massaging his back, shoulders, belly, and neck...and lightly thumping his ribs and back...trying to get him to relax and burp. Didn't realize how sore it was going to make my arm...and my back...as I was sitting down and leaning forward with him leaning against my legs during a lot of that time too.

Stormy

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
omg so sorry i missed this been taking a break (stil am a bit to recover from my mental breakdown) just seen this and how horrific and terrible for you both! so glad he is ok now but big hugs to you both! he is a georgeous golden retriever!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Oh, my goodness. I was also gone (moving!), so I'm sorry I wasn't able to give support right when it happened. I'm so glad to hear he came through all right! I'll be keeping you guys in my thoughts as you get back to normal.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for your concern and good wishes.

HaHa seems to be back to normal...and doing silly things. I let both dogs out this morning and then took a quick shower. As I was getting dressed, I realized it was raining! In February!

I opened the door, and Jaya was laying on the porch and a freezing rain was coming down hard. HaHa was out in the snow, kind of prancing in place, clawing at a flattened pop bottle, with first one foot then the other...and totally soaking wet. If the weather was about a half degree colder that rain/slush that was falling would have been snow.

I called them in, and toweled down HaHa...the towel was totally soaked by the time I got done. Nothing like the smell of wet dog to blend in with the smell of a hot cup of coffee in the morning...lol. But, he's looking happy and healthy...even if still a little damp.

Stormy

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
so glad he is ok and back to himself!

Reactions: StormyPeak
1 - 14 of 14 Posts