Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes, HaHa has stomach problems after eating....he has the the tendency to try to bloat, which can kill a dog.

Most of the time, he's ok after eating, but if I see him swallowing, pacing, and panting shortly after eating, I will give him a Gas X pill or some alka seltzer (which he will drink on his own...I think he likes the salty taste of it).
That will usually reduce the gas enough to take pressure off of the stomach 'valve' so he can then burp out any remaining air.

Some of these incidents I got him through within an hour or so, but on some of the bad incidents it was up to 10 hours of him pacing, panting, swallowing, and me trying to get alka seltzer into him or a Gas X pill and also massaging his back and neck, trying to get him to relax.

On Friday, he had a severe incident, and finally after 5 hours he managed to get a good belch out...so I thought he would be ok. Just to be safe though, his meals for the next few days were going to be soft meals, canned dog food mixed with pre soaked dry kibble.

He ended up still having some problems even in eating a very small amounts.
I just thought that day that his tummy was just a bit sensitive due to the incident from the day before. Then on Sunday, he just quit eating....even though he acted like he wanted to. He kept going to his bowl and sniffing and whining but wouldn't eat.

I took him to the vets yesterday morning. He was running a fever, and hadn't eaten much over the weekend, plus he was dehydrated so they put him on an IV. The vet kept him, and said she was going to give him some barium then do some scheduled x rays to follow the barium as it went through his digestive system.

I got a call this morning, and the vet said that the barium was moving really really slow through his system...she had never seen it move so slowly through a dog, but that so far there was no blockage. She thought that she would be able to get the last x ray in a short while though.

Also, HaHa still acted like he didn't want to eat or drink, so the IV is still being used, and while his temperature has gone down, he still had a fever.

He did poop a little bit and the vet said it was runny and didn't smell like normal dog poo...so she got a sample of it and is testing it....in case he got into some poison somewhere. She's also doing a chem-test on his blood to see if anything else isn't normal.

I'm pretty worried about him. I asked the vet if she knew why the barium was going through him so slow, and she wasn't sure at this point, but said that given HaHa has other birth defects that it could be he just has a slow digestive system too - that perhaps other organs didn't fully develop (like his liver, kidneys, etc) and thus might be some of the reasons for why he's been so prone to bloat.

The vet called again around 4:30 and said she was going to keep HaHa for another night and keep the IV in him. He's not any worse, but he's still not better. He's not really eating much at all, and also the lab results on some of the blood work should be there tomorrow.

I'm pretty worried about what's going on with him. I just can't imagine he got into any poison....Jaya is usually right at his side when they go outside and it seem she would have got into anything he did.

Stormy

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Oh no @StormyPeak! Please keep us updated on HaHa. :( Sending good vibes your way.

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
I'm very saddened to hear that Haha is not well. Although we've never met, I absolutely adore his funny and warm personality. Sending you my prayers for his full recovery.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just talked to one of the vet techs...my vet is busy with a surgery right now, but the vet tech said she would have the vet call me afterwards.

The vet tech was able to tell me, though, that she thought HaHa was looking more alert and was eating again...he ate a little food last night, but didn't first thing this morning, but she gave him a handful about 15 minutes before I called and he ate that, so at least he's eating now. His fever is also gone. The other workers there also said they thought he looked a lot better too....that he's been wagging his tail and showing his toy to everyone who stops at the pen, he picks it up and bobs his head up and down while holding it.

She said that my vet had tests run on his blood and stool and had the results now, but hasn't been able to look through them yet, as it's been a pretty busy morning so far.

The vet tech also mentioned that HaHa had been given some meds, but I figured I would wait and talk to the vet and ask at that point what all he was given. The vet tech seemed to think that the vet will release him as soon as he no longer has diarrhea....and that she didn't want to remove HaHa's IV until that was under control.

So, at least it looks like he's feeling better...which is a relief...but I'm still a little worried about what brought all this on...the fever, the hard time eating, the slow digestion, the diarrhea. I hope it was just a case of some food poisoning or something like that....like maybe he did get a hold of a dead bird or mouse or something...and it's not some other kind of poisoning or disease. I just hope he can come home today, I miss the big goof.

Thanks for the well wishes you have sent his way.

Stormy

Reactions: Laco and SusanLynn

·
Registered
248 Posts
This seems like good news! Keep us updated when you talk to the vet. Hopefully he can come home soon.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
I'm so sorry that he's been sick. He's such a sweet dog and I love your stories about him. I hope he continues to get better and you can take him home.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just got off the phone with the clinic. My vet wants to keep HaHa another night and see how he's doing tomorrow. His temp went up a little bit this afternoon for a short time, and he still has diarrhea so she wants to keep him on the IV to make sure he doesn't get dehydrated She said that when the the diarrhea goes away, then she will feel better about sending him home.

I told her we could discuss the meds he's been given and might need, and the tests results when it came time for me to pick him up. I'm curious right now to know, but I also know she's usually swamped all day long and I can wait until I see her face to face and go over what happened with HaHa.

Jaya, is acting a bit flighty...uh...more so than usual. I think she's a bit unsettled by HaHa not being around. She really relies on him, I think, to keep calm. Also almost every night, she will lick his ears and the fur on his back, like she's a momma dog. I think it's a bit of stress release for her and HaHa loves the attention. I think poor HaHa will probably be soggy for a few days once he does return and she decides to "momma" him : )

Crossing my fingers and hoping he'll get to come home tomorrow.

Stormy

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Poor Haha, I hope he feels better soon so you and Jaya can get him back.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I called the clinic at 4pm, and the gal said they were swamped and asked if the vet could call me back as soon as she had a chance. So, about 40 minutes later, I got a call and my vet said that while, HaHa was still a little sick, that she felt he was no longer in need of an IV and I could come and get him. She warned me though, to really pay attention to him if he showed signs of needing outside, to let him out immediately if I didn't want a mess to clean up.

So I went to the clinic and picked him up, and there were a lot of people sitting there waiting to have pets looked at or coming in to get their own pets. One of the staff went and got HaHa and brought him into the front area and HaHa just about came undone when he saw me...he was so happy to see me...he had one of his small stuffed toys with him and he kept putting it down so he could smell and try to lick my hands, but then was so excited he would grab it back up and again and prance around in a in a tight circle, snorting and wagging his tail furiously.

Some of the staff were standing there laughing and petting him and when the people sitting down heard his name was HaHa they laughed and thought it was a fitting name for him. The one vet tech, she said she totally fell in love with HaHa....she said she had dealt with and been around countless dogs and for some reason he just found a place in her heart...she was almost in tears as she said good bye and walked him out to the car for me. My back still is hurting, and so not having to hold on to his leash and have him pulling on it was fine with me.

I talked with my vet, and she said his tests came out ok... so no cancer, or disease. She said that she thinks he must have ate something bad outside to get that sick. His x rays came out ok, even though the barium took a long time to get through him. She said that might just be the way HaHa's metabolism is...kind of slow, but also made a little slower due to being sick. And that too, might be why he's so prone to having issues after eating. He has 2 kinds of meds he has to take for the next 8 days, and a special dog food she wants me to feed him for a while. After about 10 days I can put him back on his normal food.

His weight went from about 80 pounds down to 74 pounds from the time I checked him in on Monday and today when they weighed him, that's a good chunk of weight to lose in such a short amount of time.

Anyway, I got him home and Jaya was so happy to see him she started to whine and wag her tail...and I rarely get to see her wag her tail. She hasn't let him get far from her since I've come home. Right now they are both laying side x side on the floor next to my computer chair.

I'm so happy to see him again.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and well wishes. I've had a super tough week with the terrible pain I've been in, and the fear of losing HaHa. His fever did get quite high, the vets said and he was very lethargic for some time, so it was pretty serious there for a bit...I'm just glad he pulled through...and hope he doesn't ever get a hold of whatever it was he ate that made him sick. I did look around the yard yesterday when my back had eased up. But I didn't find anything...and also, Jaya's been fine, so whatever it was, HaHa must have polished it all off on his own.

Stormy

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
I'm so glad that he's home and your little family is all together again.

HaHa, don't worry us like that ever again!

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
So glad it work out the way it did, believe me I fully understand how attached we are to our beloved dogs, and how worried and concerned we are when anything is wrong with them.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts