Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I've been here for almost exactly 20 years, never had any issue with anyone or any neighbor in my life. Some new neighbors moved in beside me a few years ago. Without getting into specifics, WE DO NOT GET ALONG. She actually assulted me, knocking me to the ground at one point. I have chronic pain and am disabled, so not hard to knock me down. I didn't file any charges or anything. Just tried my best to ignore them.

Now I get a complaint letter in the mail, saying my dog is barking, howling, growling or otherwise disturbing the peace.

Again, without going into specifics, I noticed the letter in the way out taking my pup for a walk. The neighbors were out sunbathing in the front, so I confronted them asking if this was them (from the street). They denied it was them, said the neighbors on the parallel street with joining backyards was telling my dog to shut up.

I am out with my pup. I am very careful not to let him bark, i'm sure I have said so here.

On the way back they said it was the kids who were yelling shut up. There are no kids on that street around my backyard. And really, would kids call animal control? She is so full of crap, I know it was her.

I'm so livid that they are messing with my baby now. I don't even know how to handle this.

Trying to calm down, but i've just had it. I want them out of my face and to leave me alone. I can't stand them and they are right next door 馃槥

It's a 300$ fine. Would they have to prove it or would I be fined on word of mouth?

Super Moderator
I don't know Canadian law but I'm sure they would have to prove it. Otherwise anyone could accuse others.

I know it's hard, but try to just do you, and not involve yourself with them.

Do you know why the animosity occurred in the first place?

Super Moderator
I've been here for almost exactly 20 years, never had any issue with anyone or any neighbor in my life. Some new neighbors moved in beside me a few years ago. Without getting into specifics, WE DO NOT GET ALONG. She actually assulted me, knocking me to the ground at one point. I have chronic pain and am disabled, so not hard to knock me down. I didn't file any charges or anything. Just tried my best to ignore them.

Now I get a complaint letter in the mail, saying my dog is barking, howling, growling or otherwise disturbing the peace.

Again, without going into specifics, I noticed the letter in the way out taking my pup for a walk. The neighbors were out sunbathing in the front, so I confronted them asking if this was them (from the street). They denied it was them, said the neighbors on the parallel street with joining backyards was telling my dog to shut up.

I am out with my pup. I am very careful not to let him bark, i'm sure I have said so here.

On the way back they said it was the kids who were yelling shut up. There are no kids on that street around my backyard. And really, would kids call animal control? She is so full of crap, I know it was her.

I'm so livid that they are messing with my baby now. I don't even know how to handle this.

Trying to calm down, but i've just had it. I want them out of my face and to leave me alone. I can't stand them and they are right next door 馃槥

It's a 300$ fine. Would they have to prove it or would I be fined on word of mouth?
I don't know much about the Canadian system, but I imagine they'd have to prove it.

I'm involved in a similar noise dispute with one of my neighbours, but not regarding her dog. She just screams and howls for hours on end. The difference in my case is it's not just my word against hers. The noise she makes permeates the whole block of 4 flats, and there's no getting away from it when she starts - not even the furthest wall away from her, so there are 3 of us complaining.

Our housing officer has said she wants us to keep a diary of the noise for the next 2 weeks to see how bad it is. After that, if it's not resolved, we're to have a noise monitor app installed on our phones.

My advice to you, would be to go on the offensive. Keep your own diary. Particularly when you're out on a walk, times and duration, any play sessions in the garden - did he bark? How long for? What did you do about it?

When you go out, set up a web cam to record him while you're away.

That way, if/when the investigator comes, it's not just your word against hers. ;)

And remember - dogs do bark. The investigator will allow for some barking, such as barking at the door. It's only if it goes on too long and is reasonably classed as a nuisance that they'll enforce action

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much ladies, I've been trying to think of what she is talking about. The infraction was dated for yesterday at 15:04 (3:04pm). I was moving plants in the garden and throwing rocks onto the pathway that I collected while digging with the shovel. Ozzy was playing with my shovel (big surprise) and chasing the stones. We were out doing that for about an hour or so. He was play barking (making noises) intermittently. I don't see any reason to not allow that.

So I called the animal bylaw and asked if I could dispute. He said not much you can do about a notice. But if it does come to a fine, I could dispute in court. The complaintee would have to 1) show up, 2) provide proof of infraction (vid or audio).

So although I'm still livid, I'm calming down knowing they can't really cause me too much trouble and never will be able to because my pup is simply not a disturbance.

My husband said he'll go talk to them (without me haha) and I hope the convo goes ok because my hubby doesn't play games.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Joanne, I do know what started this toxic relationship, it was a year after they moved in, she started yelling the 1st time she saw me outside in the front about me planting clover. I remember saying "Wow! Nice to meet you too" They have a corner lot and i was taking care of that area beside the street all these years before. It was ridden with dandelions and the seeds were often carried to my lawn, so I tediously dug them all out and planted clover along the street where the dandelions were rampant. Her lawn was infested with wood sorrow weed (not clover) and she accused me of planting her lawn lol. The area I used to maintain is owned by the city, so if they want to maintain it, I have no problem with that lol and totally stepped away from it.

She knocked me down when i went to explain that her lawn was covered in wood sorrow and not clover. She's the type to come out blazing, "What are you doing on my property?" So I don't start things, she just takes every opportunity to pick at and bully me. She started filming me trying to explain it (nicely btw) and my knee jerk reaction was to block the screen. She closelined me with her arm on the side of the face and I fell into a pile of rubble in their driveway. I am not a fighter, never been hit before, so I was not expecting it. Point being, I have no idea what her problem is with me, actually no one has ever treated me this badly or had it in for me before.

Since that day with the clover, anytime I'm doing ANYTHING she can yell at me for, she does. Like walking my pup by their house. She comes out of the house to yell at me lol. I'm totally confused.

So from now on, I will not feed into her. I will not wave, talk or anything. I will walk my pup on the other side of the street passed their house now that i know she can't do anything or have my baby taken away.

Super Moderator
Hey Joanne, I do know what started this toxic relationship, it was a year after they moved in, she started yelling the 1st time she saw me outside in the front about me planting clover. I remember saying "Wow! Nice to meet you too" They have a corner lot and i was taking care of that area beside the street all these years before. It was ridden with dandelions and the seeds were often carried to my lawn, so I tediously dug them all out and planted clover along the street where the dandelions were rampant. Her lawn was infested with wood sorrow weed (not clover) and she accused me of planting her lawn lol. The area I used to maintain is owned by the city, so if they want to maintain it, I have no problem with that lol and totally stepped away from it.

She knocked me down when i went to explain that her lawn was covered in wood sorrow and not clover. She's the type to come out blazing, "What are you doing on my property?" So I don't start things, she just takes every opportunity to pick at and bully me. She started filming me trying to explain it (nicely btw) and my knee jerk reaction was to block the screen. She closelined me with her arm on the side of the face and I fell into a pile of rubble in their driveway. I am not a fighter, never been hit before, so I was not expecting it. Point being, I have no idea what her problem is with me, actually no one has ever treated me this badly or had it in for me before.

Since that day with the clover, anytime I'm doing ANYTHING she can yell at me for, she does. Like walking my pup by their house. She comes out of the house to yell at me lol. I'm totally confused.

So from now on, I will not feed into her. I will not wave, talk or anything. I will walk my pup on the other side of the street passed their house now that i know she can't do anything or have my baby taken away.
Sounds like a nasty piece of work. :( So sorry you're going through this.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like a nasty piece of work. :( So sorry you're going through this.
Thanks. You know? That really helps. Feeling better already.

The bylaw officer said he knows some ppl just complain about everything. BEFORE I said anything about her, so I have confidence this won't go anywhere further, and i'll keep my distance from them.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
She also said I was following her 14YO daughter like a pedo. Wow, I am never around kids, I actually feel a bit nervous around them, Idk how to react with them. I admit, i've seen her around before, she was skateboarding and I said 'cool'. I used to skateboard and she asked me if I do. That was all. But I didn't even know the 14YO was around anymore. I never see her. The male of the house told me there are some great mental health helps around.

See how they just make stuff up?

Nice huh? Some of the stuff they accuse me of is a bit concerning, but at I know they'd have to have proof (like of me stalking their daughter and being a pedo). Wow

But I realize she just loves to peeve me off and that by reacting i'm feeding into her games. So that will stop now.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Some people are just weird - and best just avoided.
Haha that's for sure! Yes I will ignore her (them) even if they say anything to me. I guess even her kids. Sucks to ignore a child, but she wants it that way I guess.

And thanks for letting me vent about my trivial problems

Registered
Schnauzaluv, I am sorry you are going through this. Quite honestly, this person sounds to me as if she has a mental illness. Ignoring her is for sure the best thing to do, but I know how difficult that can be, and how maddening it is to be attacked with zero justification. It has happened to me. And it has made my stomach churn and my heart race and in general it feels completely crappy.

The only thing that seemed to help me to deal with it internally was to remind myself that a person who acts in such a hateful, bitter, and combative manner cannot possibly be a happy person. That malevolence is within her, poisoning her. Someone who does that kind of thing, whether mentally ill or not, is a person who is miserable. So I have reminded myself that this person is either causing or at the least exacerbating her own suffering, and that in fact none of that has anything whatever to do with me. I can pity that person, but don't need to take any of it on or allow it to ruin my day.

Hope this helps, at least a little bit.

Super Moderator
Haha that's for sure! Yes I will ignore her (them) even if they say anything to me. I guess even her kids. Sucks to ignore a child, but she wants it that way I guess.

And thanks for letting me vent about my trivial problems
I don't think they're trivial problems at all. I've had many a sleepless night because my neighbours have complained about my dogs (settling in related separation anxiety).

I don't know about that - I've been trying to perfect it for years ...
Haha! Me too. :p

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
I don't like your post I LOVE it Madra. That is so nice to say, and yes, I did let it ruin 1/2 my day (I was shaking!脳 and now I have a huge headache 馃槙 So all that accomplished nothing but heartache for myself. I have learned something from this. I won't let this happen again.

Yes, the more I think about it (or thought about it 馃槈) and put myself into her shoes, I couldn't imagine any other reason she'd pick on someone like that other than she can't be happy with herself. Those things don't even come into my mind.

So thank you for your kind words, sorry you had to deal with something similar, it is VERY hard (at least for me) to stay calm and deal with it, not a situation I wish on anyone. I sometimes wonder how this ever occured? How did they have to move there? But fretting about it makes me physically sick and definitely doesn't result in anything positive or improve the situation.

Talking it out here really helped, just wanted to say a BIG THANKS to ALL who took the time to respond.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
I don't think they're trivial problems at all. I've had many a sleepless night because my neighbours have complained about my dogs (settling in related separation anxiety).
Ahhh ok, I'm sorry you had to deal with this too. Sometimes I think I let things bother me too much, but this is my baby, my pup, you don't mess with my baby!

Registered
It is difficult when you have bad neighbours. I sincerely hope you can reach some kind of agreement or if not that then a stale mate or a ceasefire with yours at the very least.

I've had my ups and downs with mine but I'm lucky she's quite scared of me although I have no idea why.
She did mention once that she'd heard Murphy barking a lot oh she said I suppose you are out and he barked the whole time.
I said ..thanks so much for letting me know and I'm sorry what I'll do now is go inside and replay the camera , she looked at me I said oh yes whenever we leave Murphy alone we have a camera running in the house so we can see exactly what he does and exactly who sets him off.
She turned bright red ...oh I didn't realise you had a camera she said and scuttled back inside like the nasty little cockroach she is.
I know damn well her son comes here and instead of using a doorbell he thumps on the door with his fists will of course that's going to make a dog bark it sounds as if someone is breaking in. I've spoken to her about it before so she's well aware.
However that was the last time she's ever mentioned anything about Murphy or George.

Registered
It is difficult when you have bad neighbours. I sincerely hope you can reach some kind of agreement or if not that then a stale mate or a ceasefire with yours at the very least.

I've had my ups and downs with mine but I'm lucky she's quite scared of me although I have no idea why.
She did mention once that she'd heard Murphy barking a lot oh she said I suppose you are out and he bought the whole time.
I said thanks so much for letting me know and I'm sorry what I'll do now is go inside and replay the camera she looked at me I said oh yes whenever we leave Murphy alone we have a camera running in the house so we can see exactly what he does and exactly who sets him off.
She turned bright red home I didn't realise you had a camera she said and scuttled back inside like the nasty little cockroach she is.
I know damn well her son comes here and it's still using a doorbell he thumps on the door with his fists will of course that's going to make a dog bark it sounds as if someone is breaking in in I've spoken to her about it before so she's well aware.
However that was the last time she's ever mentioned anything about Murphy or George.
Love that story, MadMurpohy. 馃槃

Registered
I don't like your post I LOVE it Madra. That is so nice to say, and yes, I did let it ruin 1/2 my day (I was shaking!脳 and now I have a huge headache 馃槙 So all that accomplished nothing but heartache for myself. I have learned something from this. I won't let this happen again.

Yes, the more I think about it (or thought about it 馃槈) and put myself into her shoes, I couldn't imagine any other reason she'd pick on someone like that other than she can't be happy with herself. Those things don't even come into my mind.

So thank you for your kind words, sorry you had to deal with something similar, it is VERY hard (at least for me) to stay calm and deal with it, not a situation I wish on anyone. I sometimes wonder how this ever occured? How did they have to move there? But fretting about it makes me physically sick and definitely doesn't result in anything positive or improve the situation.

Talking it out here really helped, just wanted to say a BIG THANKS to ALL who took the time to respond.
I am so glad that my post was helpful to you.
I think the vast majority of the time, people other than your nearest and dearest are not even thinking about you, and how they act is not personal to you.
In other words, it is not about me and if someone else had happened to be there instead of me, it would have happened to them. If you weren't there, she'd yell at the person who was about how they parked their car or whatever.

I find that the less I take things personally, the less stress I have. Of course I am not perfect at that and always have to remind myself after my initial reaction.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Mad Murphy for your story. Lol, I don't have the skill to play like that. But I think I will def set up a camera for when we are out.

Today I'm just feeling flabbergasted and probably a bit sad they would call authorities for me working in the back and Ozzy playing with me. It IS pathetic. Obviously they are just trying to mess with me and egg me on.

Today we had a much better walk. We met two dogs at the end of my street. Found out the man walking them is the father of one of the members of a local band we are good friends with. Small world! He commented how nice of a puppy Ozzy is. And also how social he is! Big compliment! Considering he was such a timid fearful puppy, he has come such a long way. I feel that's a reflection of my own personality, I know i'm not in the wrong here and they are just horrible miserable people next door.

Registered
Do you actually have a camera?

Has your dog actually been barking?

I don鈥檛 think any fine will come of this, but if proof is required, and proof becomes available........then you kinda get the fine..... doesn鈥檛 make them less crappy of neighbors, but it sounds like a lot of lines are being drawn in the sand, by both sides

Edit: Sorry. thought the camera story was from the OP. I think it鈥檚 just that though, a 鈥渟tory鈥. Sounds like a good story........ but that鈥檚 it

1 - 20 of 33 Posts