Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, it's getting nice and cool here which means the dogs and I are enjoying our walks and going a little longer. I'm very used to people stopping and asking what kind of dog Levi is, and I don't mind telling them. In fact, I love watching the reaction when I explain Aussies aren't from Australia at all. =]

Today I met two women out for a stroll. They stopped me to chat, and our conversation went a little something like this:

Lady 1: Oh my gosh, what a strange looking dog. What is he?
Me: (First of all, rude, he's not strange looking) He's an Australian Shepherd.
Lady 2: Oh, he looks just like my niece's Husky! (Uh, no.)
Me: He used to get called a Husky-mix all the time.
Lady 1: So what breeds make up the Australian Shepherd?
Me: That is the breed. He has a similar job to the border collie, working sheep, herding etc.
Lady 1: What happened to his tail? (Totally used to this question)
Me: Some Aussies are born with naturally bobbed tails, he was one of them. (He was not, definitely docked, but I could tell these were not the people to talk to this about.)
(Attention moves to Heidi)
Lady 2: Oh my gosh, I love Bernese Mountain Dogs!
Me: Oh, haha, she's a Border Collie!
Lady 1: No, she can't be. Border Collies are black and white.
Me: They are, but that also come in other colours too. She's called a Black Tri, but you can also get Merle, like my Aussie, red and white, red tri, or even mostly white.
Lady 1: Well, I don't know where you got her, but the person clearly lied, she's not a pure Border Collie, she must be mixed.
Me: (Getting annoyed) Well, she's from a working line BC breeder, so I'm pretty sure she's full Border Collie.

Cue 5 minute rant about how I got ripped off and how since I bought both of my dogs from a breeder I should feel bad I didn't go to a shelter.

I gave a very polite excuse to leave, and we continued on our way, but I was really annoyed for the rest of the walk, which sucks for my dogs, but I wanted to scream at that lady.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Wow, I have no idea what I would have done in that situation. I cant believe how rude they were. I don't get why people who clearly don't know much about dog breeds decide that they know exactly what a breed should look like, and ignore someone who actually owns the breed or be open to learn more about a breed because what they knew was wrong or not completely right.

Im curious though, does Levi get mistaken for a husky mix because of his blue eye? Maybe its because I know dog breeds and have a aussie but husky would have been the furthest thing from my mind even if I didn't know about aussies.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was full-blown crazy.
@Aspen726 - I had to be polite, I'm Canadian! ;)
@Sabina88 - I'm pretty sure it is his blue eye / slight blue/grey colour. It happened all the time as a puppy, he gets called a Border Collie now more than anything else.

Reactions: KayWilson

·
Registered
813 Posts
I would have probably agreed with whatever they said, as soon as they showed their ignorance. Just yeah, yeah, blah, blah, bye! Not worth trying to educate those who don't want to be educated.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Haha, people are fun, aren't they?

I've actually seen this puppy picture circulating around that is a blue merle Aussie, but the caption reads "Golden Retriever X Husky". I've had friends pin this or put it on Facebook, saying that they must have one. Good luck to them. :)

If it makes you feel any better, I was at a dog walk with Sophie once. Two women came up, looked at her, pointed and laughed. They then remarked that she "sure was a funny looking Border Collie".

I honestly have no idea where they got that from. I guess every black and white dog is a BC?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Lady 1: Well, I don't know where you got her, but the person clearly lied, she's not a pure Border Collie, she must be mixed.
Me: (Getting annoyed) Well, she's from a working line BC breeder, so I'm pretty sure she's full Border Collie.

When someone says something like that, another response could be:

Ok, you know a little bit about Border Collies. (this gives them a sense that they are smart,) but, it's Obvious, you don't know everything about Border Collies, but I Do! :thumbsup: <- actually do that thumbs up with your hand...and smile every so sweetly. (this lets them know you are smarter and you know it. lol :cool: )

Then say... in a tone, just like you were a teacher teaching to a classroom...and give them your little lecture just like you did about the coloring, etc....

Finish off with... I Know all of this, as I Totally Researched the breed before I bought one from a reputable breeder, who I researched as well as I don't believe in purchasing puppy mill puppies from a pet stores or nor will I support back yard breeders who know nothing about what it takes to produce a quality Border Collie such as my fine dog here.

Then walk off really Fast....so they can't refute what you said. :rofl:

That way you get to giggle on your walk instead of fume. : )

Of course, I know after the fact it's easier to think of witty things to say to put someone in their place when they don't know what they are talking about, but next time at least you will be armed and ready to after educating someone who thinks they know more about a breed that you actually own and they are saying things you know are not correct.

Stormy

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@PoppyKenna - Sophie is SO CUTE. Oh mah gad.
@StormyPeak - It's true, I'm sitting here thinking about all the comebacks I should have said. Drat.

Reactions: PoppyKenna

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just me and my little Berner.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I love science fiction and one of my favorite authors is Isaac Asimov.
One of his quotes I enjoy and that suits this thread....lol

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -- Isaac Asimov

But you didn't need someone as smart as him to let you know how annoying those women were...lol...still...don't feel like the Lone Ranger...a lot of intelligent people have had to deal with those who 'think they know'.

Stormy

Reactions: purplesully

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm definitely used to breed confusion, as it seems Aussies aren't super well known around here, but they did make me feel bad about the rescue route. We've already decided our next dog will be from a rescue, but we have felt bad in the past about buying a "breeder dog"

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I'm definitely used to breed confusion, as it seems Aussies aren't super well known around here, but they did make me feel bad about the rescue route. We've already decided our next dog will be from a rescue, but we have felt bad in the past about buying a "breeder dog"
I've had both rescues and breeder dogs. I LOVE rescue dogs, but after the issues with my current little guy I know my next will be a well bred pup from a breeder - and no one could make me feel bad about it!

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Don't feel bad at all. No matter where you get your dogs from, as long as you give them a great home, that's all that should matter.

It's like making someone feel bad for birthing a child instead of adopting one...

·
Registered
298 Posts
People who talk as if they know something really well but obviously don't is just plain funny, not to mention rather childish.

I wouldn't let any of what they said carry any weight. Why does it matter to them that you wanted a finely bred dog.

My mom who does not know much about dogs always gets confused when we see a standard poodle and she will always ask me "what type of dog is that?" and then I will tell her "it's a poodle.." Then she will get this confused look on her face and say "I thought poodles are smaller..." Then I will tell her there are three different sizes of poodles. I have told her this numerous times, but she never gets it. So some people will never really understand the variety in certain breeds.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Since you got your dogs from reputable breeders you have no reason to feel bad about buying them:huddle: If you had went to a backyard breeder, or had purchased a puppy from a pet store then you might have cause to regret where you got them from but still don't feel bad since those are dogs that will never end up in a shelter, nor would you have an ad up saying that you needed to rehome them, you are giving them a loving, safe, forever home so you really have nothing to feel bad about.

I bought my terrier mix Shadow from a pet shop that was selling mixed breeds along side the pure breed puppies. I do feel bad that I was dumb enough to convince myself that it was alright to buy him since he was a mix, but I never felt bad about having him. He was one of the best mistakes (where I got him from) that I ever made and I still miss that crazy boy even though he passed away over 2 years ago.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Once again, you were far nicer then me. I would have stopped the conversation at them saying your beautiful aussie was 'strange' looking. And then saying he looks ANYTHING like a husky is ridiculous. And Heidi is a Berner now? Man, worlds only herding Berner! Also Someone who doesn't know what a Australian Shepherd is (since Levi is a very correct representation of his breed) doesn't then get to try to school you, the owner and an educated dog person, on what color border collies come in. And then to try to belittle you for buying from a breeder. I DARE people to start that conversation with me. Doesn't normally happen, I think my rbf (resting b*tch face) or my husband pulling me away usually stops them. Lol.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I had to be polite, I'm Canadian! ;)
I love that lol, Since I too am a Canuck I find it hard to not roll my eyes and just politely go with the flow when people call Tessa a husky/pitbull mix lol

Also Heidi looks like a very undersized Berner pup lol

·
Registered
871 Posts
People are so frustrating! I choose to do my best and ignore. Something about coloring makes people believe that colors belong to only one breed. I've already been asked is Aayla is a Rottie mix or a Bernese mountain dog as well. Just because its black and tan doesn't mean its not what I'm telling you.

"She is pure Australian shepherd, no mixes.", "You sure?", "Yes..."

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Haha, you guys have made me seriously laugh! It's funny now, but in the moment I was annoyed. In my relationship, I'm the softy, and my hubby is the real snotty one when required.

I think out of everything I was the MOST offended that she called Levi "strange-looking". He's beautiful. :p @jclark343 I should have called her out, but I'm a huge baby.
@KayWilson - I know, I'm pretty much always just "meh"
@ThatYellowDog - The "are you sure" is the most annoying. Like...yes, I'm sure.

Reactions: KayWilson
1 - 20 of 34 Posts