Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our lovely rescue pup has been having some trouble settling at night and, though he's calm and happy during the day, he becomes 'hyper' at night, struggles to settle and begins bashing around the place, hard mouthing me and anything in his path. It's by far the hardest time of day with him and, because he mouths so hard, I am cautious of him around the children. We've had him about 11 days.

Anyway, I put him on a lead and let him spend the evening with the kids, who were just watching a film and relaxing, which they all loved. They both gave him treats and stroked him and I gave him lots of treats for just relaxing with us. Then a good play just me and him, and off to bed.

This is the crazy time and as soon as he started charging around as usual, trying to get at my feet (vet thinks there's some collie in him...) I opened the crate door and in he zoomed. He actually calmed down straight away and lay down! Maybe he was looking for a dark, safe place. (I had covered it with an old duvet cover.)

Anyway, after a little while, he started fussing so out he came, he took the duvet cover off the crate, lay on top of it and fell asleep again. He's woken to lick my hand, as he always does, and that's that.

No mad mouthing/biting/craziness. And a much calmer, happier dog.

This was all immediate advice from a 1-1 trainer by email, whom we've booked.

Very positive. She said that his behaviour (which at times has been a little worrying as he does NOT have a 'soft mouth') is perfectly normal for his age and situation (stray rescued from pound, has been very ill.)

And he didn't hurdle the babygate at the top of the stairs when I went to kiss the kids goodnight!

Edit - while getting him familiar with the crate, I've been adopting a 'don't take my eyes off the dog' approach and this afternoon he slept in his crate for the first time.

·
Registered
257 Posts
WooHoo!! :happydance: Doing the Happy Dance for you!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.