Dog Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always say my dog is 80% perfect. Which is amazing! There are two habits I have not been able to break her of...

1. Eating shit off the ground when we are out on walks. This is super dangerous and utterly exhausting. I have to watch her like a hawk, unless the grass is superrrrr clean. Takes a lot of the enjoyment out of the walk. I thought about muzzling her, but it seems like that would make her super vulnerable..around other dogs.

2. Chewing the crotch out of anything soft.

yoga/sweat pants. panties. dress pants. She even managed to chew a hole in the crotch of VERY thick ass denim!

She is 14lbs.

Does anyone else have a dog with bad habits they cannot break.

·
Super Moderator
7,970 Posts
I think she could be trained but the longer she has been doing it, the harder it will be because she has been able to practise it for so long. Two things to train - leave (don't pick it up) and drop (if she has got something already). And for chewing clothes, that's easy - keep them out of her reach.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
For chewing the crotch out of pants, the best course of action is prevention. Use a hamper basket for soiled clothes and drawers for clean clothes. At least that's my moto. If I leave something out like access to the bathroom bin or an important paper lying around, that would my fault! I'm 'trained' to never do that.

But for leaving stuff alone, like decorations on the coffee table or my shoes at the door, I made them super boring if my dog looked at them, I would distract him with something more fun like playing tug with his toys.

·
Registered
542 Posts
One of my dogs is champion counter surfer. I believe he finds the intellectual challenge every bit as satisfying as the food itself. I've mostly learned to put food out of reach and put dirty dishes into the dishwasher. However, one time he did go into the kitchen sink to steal a paring knife I had used to slice some cheese. Fortunately he didn't cut himself. I have now added the sink to my list of areas that need to be dog proofed before he can be left alone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts