Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 10 month old puppy has water available to her all day except when crated. But she waits until she's dying of thirst to get a drink. And then she guzzles water and throws up. It's beyond annoying at this point. Any suggestions? If I hear her drinking excessively I distract her from the water and wait a few minutes before she goes back. This seems to help break it up but I don't want her to think drinking is bad. But I also don't want her throwing up. Suggestions appreciated

·
Registered
82 Posts
She might be drinking too fast. I think you can use a slow feeder or a drinking fountain to make her drink water slower.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I agree she could be drinking to fast. Try adding something like chicken/beef or vegetable broth to water to make it more appealing to drink through out the day instead of all at once. You can also try offering her ice cubes through out the day or adding water to food to up her water intake during the day.
Try offering her water directly through out the day to see if she will drink. It might help to also control her water intake. In the sense of you only add a certain amount of water in her bowl and don't add any more until its all or at least pretty much gone. That way if she does wait until she's really thirsty she wont be able to drink so much so fast. You can also try a ratio of ice cubes (crushed or whole) to water to help slow her down when she's drinking.
I might also say maybe a trip to the vet just to make sure there aren't any medical reasons for her drinking so much.
If she's throwing up her water then how much water is she actually getting in a day? Also because she is throwing up just keep an eye out for dehydration.

·
Registered
368 Posts
if you around enough, you can ONLY offer her bowls of ice, and she can lap them up slowly as they melt... if she ignores them, you will need to replace them obviously as they melt completely, but it is a fairly common technique to get dogs to slow down on their drinking.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
You said she doesn't have water available when she is crated. She may feel she needs to get all she can, when she can. You can put a water bottle, which attached to the side of the crate, she will have to lick the tube extending downward, which will dispense water in small quantities for her. I would not ever want to not have them able to get to water.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts