Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at my wits end with this boy! I love him dearly but my goodness he's a challenge!

So in the last week or so Zeke has started 'attacking' me. I know he's not being vicious, just a puppy, but it's the only work I can think of to describe it!

Every step I take when I walk around the house he grabs my ankles and tries to bite my feet. And when I say bite, I mean BITE! These aren't little nips or mouthing, these are full blown hard bites. I can't have him on the couch or bed with me because he tries to bite my face. If I put him down he barks at me and tries to bite any part of me he can reach. Still trying the '3 strikes' technique but he just keeps getting worse with the biting.

SAVE ME!!

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
Stop waiting for 3 strikes, since it's getting worse. The MOMENT he starts, leave. If this means entering and exiting a room over and over, so be it. You may want to invest in some babygates as well, to show him how to calm down and reward for when he's calm on the other side of the gate to start with.

Koda was like that when I first got her, except with jumping/mouthing to the face constantly. I sympathize. Really, it was awful. But it got a LOT better and it can get better for you, too. Trying to find the right mental/physical/downtime balance is insanely difficult and way easier said than done, esp when the previous day's stress can trigger stack. You can do it!! :D

·
Registered
374 Posts
How old is Zeke again?
I feel like he's still pretty young.. I believe that during the teething face, they (dogs) tend to bite a lot. Kyra did it until almost all of her adult teeth came in. She's started nipping at ankles but I believe thats something different.
Anyway, my parents boxer did it as well. I just think its something I heard. If he's done teething then of course take others advice
But a trainer I had told me that when it comes to puppies its something that will stop. She could have been wrong but it did end with kyra.

Reactions: ZekeandTara

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yeah I'd believe so, what we did was just to have something soft for her to chew on, I had bought a kong plush like bone that she just loved.
I think its important to look at it like this, his mouth is probably sore, so he's looking for something that will help relieve the pressure - kinda like teething rings for babies.
You will be fine! don't worry and make sure to keep calm!

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Given that it's getting worse I agree with Kwenami, stop giving him 3 chances.

I'd redirect to a toy and play with him with it the first time then leave the room if he tried biting again. Usually I redirect twice but given he's getting worse that's 1x to many.

Does he have a flirt pole? It may help to have him chase and bite that and every time he tries to chase and bite you leave him. To leave him you'll likely need baby gates or to keep him in an ex pen. If all else fails keep a drag line on him and use that to leash him to something while you get out of reach. When you go back to him play red light green light. If he acts up when you go towards him, red light, stop and totally ignore him, puppy does not exist. As soon as he's quiet and calm for 5 seconds, green light, start going towards him. Do that till you can free him and he stays calm and quiet. If when you get in reach he "attacks" you then back up out of reach.

You can try spraying your clothes and skin with a no bite spray, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Try to be as boring around him as possible, while making biting on his toys as rewarding as you can.

Move slow around him, so that he's not triggered to chase and attack.

Reward calm behavior every time you notice it. He's laying on his bed chewing a toy toss him a treat.

Please keep all hands and feet inside the ride at all times. Keep all body parts out of the reach as much as possible when he turns into a furry land shark.

Resist the urge to pet and cuddle him unless he's obviously sleepy and relaxed. Petting and cuddling tends to rile up puppies.

Naps are a good thing. When you know he's had plenty of exercise and should not be so riled up put him in his crate, ex pen, or puppy proofed room, for a nap. Give him a safe chew so it's not a punishment.

Never, EVER, feed him after midnight.... Oh wait that's for Mogwi not puppies...

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
My only other suggestion to add, is get a flirt pole small enough to use in the house and keep it by your chair, redirection is great, redirection with distance even better :) and take heart knowing that even doing absolutely nothing works, they figure it out between 6 & 8 months all on their own :)

·
Registered
388 Posts
I just got Sam a flirt pole now at 7 months and it's his favorite thing EVERRRRR. I'm like whhhhhhy didn't I get this earlier.

When Sam was landsharking me-He would go for my ponytail. I would be laying on my stomach reading or on my computer like I am now/studying, and he would jump on the bed and literally go after my hair. Usually this meant he was cranky and needed a nap-he never really went after me like that. Now he will randomly do it once it in a while for attention, but again it normally means he's tired so in the crate he goes. It's not a punishment but he needs to settle.

In your case (since I think you said you don't have crates) I hope you have a puppy pen where you can get him to settle down since a lot of the time it's nap time when pup starts getting chompy.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Given that it's getting worse I agree with Kwenami, stop giving him 3 chances.

I'd redirect to a toy and play with him with it the first time then leave the room if he tried biting again. Usually I redirect twice but given he's getting worse that's 1x to many.

Does he have a flirt pole? It may help to have him chase and bite that and every time he tries to chase and bite you leave him. To leave him you'll likely need baby gates or to keep him in an ex pen. If all else fails keep a drag line on him and use that to leash him to something while you get out of reach. When you go back to him play red light green light. If he acts up when you go towards him, red light, stop and totally ignore him, puppy does not exist. As soon as he's quiet and calm for 5 seconds, green light, start going towards him. Do that till you can free him and he stays calm and quiet. If when you get in reach he "attacks" you then back up out of reach.

You can try spraying your clothes and skin with a no bite spray, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Try to be as boring around him as possible, while making biting on his toys as rewarding as you can.

Move slow around him, so that he's not triggered to chase and attack.

Reward calm behavior every time you notice it. He's laying on his bed chewing a toy toss him a treat.

Please keep all hands and feet inside the ride at all times. Keep all body parts out of the reach as much as possible when he turns into a furry land shark.

Resist the urge to pet and cuddle him unless he's obviously sleepy and relaxed. Petting and cuddling tends to rile up puppies.

Naps are a good thing. When you know he's had plenty of exercise and should not be so riled up put him in his crate, ex pen, or puppy proofed room, for a nap. Give him a safe chew so it's not a punishment.

Never, EVER, feed him after midnight.... Oh wait that's for Mogwi not puppies...
Haha - My boyfriend and I actually call him a Gremlin 90% of the time. He makes this awful growling/yowling noise when he's hyper active.

I really do try and keep him away from my hands/feet/face etc as much as possible - It's everyone else around that doesn't! My boyfriend was the worst, he's getting better at not playing with Zeke with his hands after he got bitten quite badly. My dad, sister and my boyfriend's dad insist on playing with him using their feet and hands and when I tell them to stop I get the 'oh he's just a puppy and he's playing' response. That's all well and good when you only see him once a week or so!!

I just got Sam a flirt pole now at 7 months and it's his favorite thing EVERRRRR. I'm like whhhhhhy didn't I get this earlier.

When Sam was landsharking me-He would go for my ponytail. I would be laying on my stomach reading or on my computer like I am now/studying, and he would jump on the bed and literally go after my hair. Usually this meant he was cranky and needed a nap-he never really went after me like that. Now he will randomly do it once it in a while for attention, but again it normally means he's tired so in the crate he goes. It's not a punishment but he needs to settle.

In your case (since I think you said you don't have crates) I hope you have a puppy pen where you can get him to settle down since a lot of the time it's nap time when pup starts getting chompy.
Zeke bites my hair too when all else fails :mad: He does have a pen, but he won't settle in it unless it's night time. If I put him in there during the day he just SCREAMS. I think he associates it with me going to work during the day..?

·
Registered
388 Posts
The screaming in the pen is why I wish you would consider getting him a crate. It FORCES him to calm down when he needs a nap and won't settle. But I can't make you get one. That being said-ignore him when he's being a butt and he will calm himself down or pass out. Then if he isn't asleep reward him with CALM playtime. If he's asleep reward yourself :D

·
Registered
741 Posts
OHHHHHH ZEKE !!! :)

Sounds like that pup Banjo I had for awhile. The more I tried to "walk slow" or "be calm" the harder she bit me. It got to the point where she was latching on like a piranha and growling. It was SCARY :0

I started leashing her at all times during the house and training her to walk next to me instead. That worked pretty good after she got the hang of it.

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
I agree, the crate is a great way to tell your dog "shut up and go to bed". It takes a bit to communicate it, but now, if Koda isn't going absolutely bonkers and just is mildly irritating and annoying, I can toss her in and she'll go to sleep. VOILA! :D Great trick. Esp when you're watching a movie and having your hands and feet gnawed on gently, or if the guest is ignoring her so she MUST sit in their lap.

I hope things start going better soon! Let us know!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The screaming in the pen is why I wish you would consider getting him a crate. It FORCES him to calm down when he needs a nap and won't settle. But I can't make you get one. That being said-ignore him when he's being a butt and he will calm himself down or pass out. Then if he isn't asleep reward him with CALM playtime. If he's asleep reward yourself :D
Maybe I will just have to get a crate. I'm willing to try anything at this stage!

·
Registered
388 Posts
He's not evil-he just doesn't know how to forcibly calm down. Aside from forcibly grabbing him and holding him down-a crate is a great option. Think of it as a crib for a baby. This is the analogy I use for people who are against crating puppies. It's for their safety and comfort (and sleeping).

·
Registered
741 Posts
Also ~ I crated Banjo pup when I had her and it was AWESOME! I gave up when Chewy was a baby and I really regret not following through with it, after seeing how well Banjo did in there. The transition can be a little rocky but just stay patient & persistent, the sleeping dog reward is SO worth it!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Also ~ I crated Banjo pup when I had her and it was AWESOME! I gave up when Chewy was a baby and I really regret not following through with it, after seeing how well Banjo did in there. The transition can be a little rocky but just stay patient & persistent, the sleeping dog reward is SO worth it!
Well my boyfriend is going away for 3 weeks as well as his parents and my parents, so I'll have completely empty houses to go to. I guess now is as good of a time as any to start crating him! I'll be the only one kept up by his screaming!

·
Registered
741 Posts
@ZekeandTaraHahaha YUP !!! Banjo would howl like a werewolf pup at a full moon. I'd have to go in the other room and ignore her and as SOON as she shut up - I'd reappear and toss treats in her crate, then leave again - repeat about 200 times and the eventually learn "Hey I get treats when I hush.. and my people come back too." I also fed her in there, twice a day.

Good call on the boyfriend being gone - there were a few days with Banjo Josh couldn't take it anymore and he'd let her out cus she was going ape$hit and he was tired of holding his ears. I'm like "STOP derailing my training!!!!!"

^^ Chewy was just so damned pitiful we started letting him sleep in the bed with us instead, and having free range over the house. MISTAKE !
I often wondered how little Banjerz felt about being in Puppy Jail all day, watching Chewy parade around the living room in freedom, lol.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts